Drifter fishing

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Solihullangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Drifter fishing

Post by Solihullangler »

Hello all. … this winter I really fancy taking one rod and fishing it on a proper drifter set up with a proper drifter float .

My question to the board is do I need a dedicated rod, reel and braid to do it or will my pike bait rods suffice . I’d really appreciate any advice as I really fancy trying it as an active way of covering a lake for a day :lumby:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Drifter fishing

Post by davelumb »

If you're using braid a rod with a test curve of 2.75lb will be fine.
Solihullangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Solihullangler »

Thanks Dave .. I use Drennan esox bait rods and 60lb braid. I always fancied trying the method for a day on a local water . :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Lots of grease in the line and a big belly in the line to catch the wind will get you a fair distance.
Plenty on here about making drifter floats without spending your hard earned, if your handy.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Sep 22 2021 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

I wouldnt bother greasing your braid personally unless that brand goes sub surface. Most braids float anyway.
The days of filling your butt ring with vaseline are over :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

My fave way to fish, especially from a boat. Once you get the hang of it you can learn to direct the float a bit using the belly of line or some like adding rudders to their drifter float to send them off side ways. Enjoyable way to fish.

When that lively starts to tow the float sideways away from a spot you get to know why soon enough when you force it that way... or chuck a lure in that spot!
Last edited by Kevin O'Keeffe on Tue Sep 28 2021 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Love the hit!
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Sep 21 2021 15:31 -

The days of filling your butt ring with vaseline are over for me :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

:afraid: :afraid: :afraid:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Solihullangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Solihullangler »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Sep 21 2021 15:31 -
I wouldnt bother greasing your braid personally unless that brand goes sub surface. Most braids float anyway.
The days of filling your butt ring with vaseline are over for me :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

My fave way to fish, especially from a boat. Once you get the hang of it you can learn to direct the float a bit using the belly of line or some like adding rudders to their drifter float to send them off side ways. Enjoyable way to fish.

When that lively starts to tow the float sideways away from a spot you get to know why soon enough when you force it that way... or chuck a lure in that spot!
🤣🤣🤣🤣 :boing: Vaseline in butt rings