Dead baiting

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Post Reply
John Whelan
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 14 2022 11:18

Dead baiting

Post by John Whelan »

When do you stop using dead bait for pike? Or do you still use it during the summer?
suffolk si
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6569
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Dead baiting

Post by suffolk si »

it depends on lots of factors but water temperature is what most would say is the main one.If you live in Scotland it’s generally gonna be different to the norfolk broads, round my way I guess most would say October/ November until March / early April if it’s cool and fish aren’t spawning which usually they are in my experience .
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2007
Joined: Thu Dec 28 2017 16:49

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Stewlaws »

Was watching some loved pike today, female followed by a few males and dancing away in the weed.
User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 9600
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Mike J »

John Whelan wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 15:55 -
When do you stop using dead bait for pike? Or do you still use it during the summer?

Welcome aboard John :handshake:

When is sometimes governed by club rules, sometimes simply by tradition.

Some like me do not fish for pike beyond March 15th, others especially if where they are fishing the water is colder will continue longer.
Slightly different when we start with the majority not wetting a line until October.

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Dead baiting

Post by stubbojo »

some people view it differently , but i dont pike fish in summer ..... it does depend where you are , but avoid June July august , most of September
october should be ok but keep your eye on the temps at all times ....seen quiet a few pike go belly up in summer from the numpty brigade.....

regards steve
Richard.
Perch
Perch
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Dec 14 2020 18:03

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Richard. »

Between March 15th and November 1st I’ll leave the baits well alone.
October 1st seems to be the traditional start up time but on the southern rivers I usually target, October is still very much a warm month.
Baits get hit very hard and swallowed really quickly in warm water conditions so it’s best to make sure the water your fishing is definitely cool enough before introducing trebles on static baits.
John66
Roach
Roach
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 13 2020 22:01
Location: Glasgow

Re: Dead baiting

Post by John66 »

Typically i stay within the Pike season but have fished deadbaits if its not to warm on a deep scottish loch.
Dean0
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu May 05 2022 14:47

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Dean0 »

I'm in Scotland too. We had a coldish spring but this month has warmed up and water levels are low so have stopped chasing pike for now. Will start again when the weather cools off and river levels are up. In addition deadbaiting in summer usually involves very smelly baits potentially catching lots of eels whilst being eaten alive by swarms of blood sucking insects.
User avatar
Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4556
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: Suffolk

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Steve Dennington »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Apr 27 2022 21:43 -
some people view it differently , but i dont pike fish in summer ..... it does depend where you are , but avoid June July august , most of September
october should be ok but keep your eye on the temps at all times ....seen quiet a few pike go belly up in summer from the numpty brigade.....

regards steve
Sept/Oct water temps will be pretty much same as, or higher than June.

No deadbaiting for me until winter, but I might throw a cheeky lure here and there, now and then.
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Dead baiting

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 23:23 -
stubbojo wrote: Wed Apr 27 2022 21:43 -
some people view it differently , but i dont pike fish in summer ..... it does depend where you are , but avoid June July august , most of September
october should be ok but keep your eye on the temps at all times ....seen quiet a few pike go belly up in summer from the numpty brigade.....

regards steve
Sept/Oct water temps will be pretty much same as, or higher than June.

No deadbaiting for me until winter, but I might throw a cheeky lure here and there, now and then.
i do a bit of lure fishing for perch later on in the year , but on the bass most of the summer , i just like to leave the pike alone till winter
plenty to go after till it cools down .........
barnsy
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 09 2021 15:13

Re: Dead baiting

Post by barnsy »

Static deads only in the colder months as others have said, I have no specific cut off date, but definitely not when it's warm. I would troll a dead later into the year if on a big northern glacial type water (especially if I might get a ferox), but generally deadbaits for me stop about March, and I'm looking for a frost before they start again. I might sight fish a livey on a turbulent river stretch or fish lures at any time of year, but I usually think of other species and give the pike a break. Watched too many die in summer as a kid, takes the fun away completely if it's not for food and doesn't go back.
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Dead baiting

Post by stubbojo »

barnsy wrote: Tue Jul 12 2022 22:04 -
Static deads only in the colder months as others have said, I have no specific cut off date, but definitely not when it's warm. I would troll a dead later into the year if on a big northern glacial type water (especially if I might get a ferox), but generally deadbaits for me stop about March, and I'm looking for a frost before they start again. I might sight fish a livey on a turbulent river stretch or fish lures at any time of year, but I usually think of other species and give the pike a break. Watched too many die in summer as a kid, takes the fun away completely if it's not for food and doesn't go back.
like you i have seen many pike die , due to the waters i fish are not suited to warm weather piking to shallow and suffer from algae growths in summer,the problem is when caught they look ok when returned , but later on maybe over an hour later i have seen the same fish belly up ...and have done my best to save the fish , but to no avail ......
even tried to explain to the guys on the bank in the heat of summer ...august ....i kid you not on deadbaits and their
simply not interested even though i waded in to try to save there pike ........pointless one dead pike.... :shrug:

regards steve
barnsy
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 09 2021 15:13

Re: Dead baiting

Post by barnsy »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Jul 16 2022 14:14 -
barnsy wrote: Tue Jul 12 2022 22:04 -
Static deads only in the colder months as others have said, I have no specific cut off date, but definitely not when it's warm. I would troll a dead later into the year if on a big northern glacial type water (especially if I might get a ferox), but generally deadbaits for me stop about March, and I'm looking for a frost before they start again. I might sight fish a livey on a turbulent river stretch or fish lures at any time of year, but I usually think of other species and give the pike a break. Watched too many die in summer as a kid, takes the fun away completely if it's not for food and doesn't go back.
like you i have seen many pike die , due to the waters i fish are not suited to warm weather piking to shallow and suffer from algae growths in summer,the problem is when caught they look ok when returned , but later on maybe over an hour later i have seen the same fish belly up ...and have done my best to save the fish , but to no avail ......
even tried to explain to the guys on the bank in the heat of summer ...august ....i kid you not on deadbaits and their
simply not interested even though i waded in to try to save there pike ........pointless one dead pike.... :shrug:

regards steve
People are odd creatures. Once when having a walk around a park pond in the height of summer I saw a kid reluctantly casting a (semi) live roach. He'd caught the roach on a waggler setup, and was being egged on by a gang of kids to cast it (on the same tackle with which it was caught) to a pike they'd seen. I advised against this and he seemed to take that on board, not wanting to lose his gear. 20 minutes later a little kid came up (I was only maybe 13 myself) and asked if I'd help unhook a pike. He'd only hooked and landed it! The hook was right in the lip and easy to remove, they were all just scared. Sadly it made no attempt to swim off at all, the fight on light tackle (and prolonged ordeal on the concrete bank before I got there) had done for it, and the 18" deep concrete lined water offered no chance of recovery.
I had to let go of it when the group of kids who were originally egging the lad on to catch the pike, then started beating him up for killing it!!!
In splitting them up I was distracted while another kid grabbed the pike and ran off with it. Never a dull moment on that pond.

Sadly, in the internet age of so much 'received wisdom', a lot of people forget that some of us had to learn the hard way through trial and error and know from actual experience what poor angling can cause. Without much access to info, I found out the hard way that freelining deads was more likely to lead to deep hooking, and that fishing when it's hot meant they were less likely to go back, and more likely to turn up dead later. I also saw it happening to others, again and again, and knew what had happened when I found a big dead pike in the margins a day or two after someone said they'd had a good one. I made a mat myself, from a piece of a scouts foam camp mat and bin liner, not because of "carpy tackle tart fashion", but after seeing the result of fish being unhooked on crap surfaces....Like so many things, there are those that just don't want to hear it.
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Dead baiting

Post by stubbojo »

barnsy wrote: Thu Jul 21 2022 00:19 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Jul 16 2022 14:14 -
barnsy wrote: Tue Jul 12 2022 22:04 -
Static deads only in the colder months as others have said, I have no specific cut off date, but definitely not when it's warm. I would troll a dead later into the year if on a big northern glacial type water (especially if I might get a ferox), but generally deadbaits for me stop about March, and I'm looking for a frost before they start again. I might sight fish a livey on a turbulent river stretch or fish lures at any time of year, but I usually think of other species and give the pike a break. Watched too many die in summer as a kid, takes the fun away completely if it's not for food and doesn't go back.
like you i have seen many pike die , due to the waters i fish are not suited to warm weather piking to shallow and suffer from algae growths in summer,the problem is when caught they look ok when returned , but later on maybe over an hour later i have seen the same fish belly up ...and have done my best to save the fish , but to no avail ......
even tried to explain to the guys on the bank in the heat of summer ...august ....i kid you not on deadbaits and their
simply not interested even though i waded in to try to save there pike ........pointless one dead pike.... :shrug:

regards steve
People are odd creatures. Once when having a walk around a park pond in the height of summer I saw a kid reluctantly casting a (semi) live roach. He'd caught the roach on a waggler setup, and was being egged on by a gang of kids to cast it (on the same tackle with which it was caught) to a pike they'd seen. I advised against this and he seemed to take that on board, not wanting to lose his gear. 20 minutes later a little kid came up (I was only maybe 13 myself) and asked if I'd help unhook a pike. He'd only hooked and landed it! The hook was right in the lip and easy to remove, they were all just scared. Sadly it made no attempt to swim off at all, the fight on light tackle (and prolonged ordeal on the concrete bank before I got there) had done for it, and the 18" deep concrete lined water offered no chance of recovery.
I had to let go of it when the group of kids who were originally egging the lad on to catch the pike, then started beating him up for killing it!!!
In splitting them up I was distracted while another kid grabbed the pike and ran off with it. Never a dull moment on that pond.

Sadly, in the internet age of so much 'received wisdom', a lot of people forget that some of us had to learn the hard way through trial and error and know from actual experience what poor angling can cause. Without much access to info, I found out the hard way that freelining deads was more likely to lead to deep hooking, and that fishing when it's hot meant they were less likely to go back, and more likely to turn up dead later. I also saw it happening to others, again and again, and knew what had happened when I found a big dead pike in the margins a day or two after someone said they'd had a good one. I made a mat myself, from a piece of a scouts foam camp mat and bin liner, not because of "carpy tackle tart fashion", but after seeing the result of fish being unhooked on crap surfaces....Like so many things, there are those that just don't want to hear it.
sad but true pal ......its to much hassle trying to guide some youngsters when there on there own they sometimes listen , but when theres a gang of them they just take the p**s out of each other ..or me ...... :shrug:
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2617
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Dead baiting

Post by stubbojo »

John Whelan wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 15:55 -
When do you stop using dead bait for pike? Or do you still use it during the summer?
john does any of the answers help ...... or are you out deadbaiting ... :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2318
Joined: Tue May 25 2021 21:50

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Taffypiker »

My basic beginners deadbating was from here

Sprat

Fished short to medium range on a drennan esox float

Single treble

I have done OK out of it
User avatar
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4408
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: Essex

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Mark Phillips »

John Whelan wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 15:55 -
When do you stop using dead bait for pike? Or do you still use it during the summer?
I would not recommend fishing dead baits during the spring (post spawn) and summer, even early autumn. Pike are feeding hardest at those times and will swallow a bait very quickly, even without moving off with the bait. Lures are the way to go during those periods - but avoid high water temps and make sure fish are brought to the bank quickly, unhooked/returned fast as well. Do not bait fish for zander in warm water either, you'll just kill them, very fragile fish in those conditions - especially at night.

Taffy is right, sprats are such an underrated bait. I caught my first 20 when I was 14 years old on one. What I had left over from the day, my Dad would eat when I got home.... different times...
Piking Plonker
Taffypiker
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2318
Joined: Tue May 25 2021 21:50

Re: Dead baiting

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Aug 04 2022 23:06 -
John Whelan wrote: Mon Apr 18 2022 15:55 -
When do you stop using dead bait for pike? Or do you still use it during the summer?
I would not recommend fishing dead baits during the spring (post spawn) and summer, even early autumn. Pike are feeding hardest at those times and will swallow a bait very quickly, even without moving off with the bait. Lures are the way to go during those periods - but avoid high water temps and make sure fish are brought to the bank quickly, unhooked/returned fast as well. Do not bait fish for zander in warm water either, you'll just kill them, very fragile fish in those conditions - especially at night.

Taffy is right, sprats are such an underrated bait. I caught my first 20 when I was 14 years old on one. What I had left over from the day, my Dad would eat when I got home.... different times...
They look like small roach , dace etc , at least that's why I think they work

And of course when it's dark and water is dirty they have a good scent
phil adams
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 25 2012 05:00

Re: Dead baiting

Post by phil adams »

Chub love a freelined sprat too. Just let them drift down between streamer weed and hang on.
Post Reply