Single hook rigs

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Sheps31
Roach
Roach

Single hook rigs

Post by Sheps31 »

My club has said that we can only now use single hook rigs. How do I make a single hook rig, as per the standard treble rigs that are used?

I can't get my head round attaching the single rider hook

Thanks
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Re: Single hook rigs

Post by brian donnelly »

Knotless knot your top hook and crimp the bottom one,simples. Image
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Sheps31
Roach
Roach

Post by Sheps31 »

Thanks Image
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

Sorry Shepps i should have added in order to keep the top hook neat to your wire slide a piece of shrink down the shank to bind the two together.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Is this for lives or deads or both?

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

Just crimp them both the same as you would a treble, is what ive done for the past 4 or 5 years now.
Actually know as Danny..
Sheps31
Roach
Roach

Post by Sheps31 »

I have been reading the following article about using singe hooks, and this guy goes on to the subject of tagging, which isn't the part I'm interested in, however, the following paragraph worries me a little, what do you make of it?

http://ww.pikewatch.proboards.com/index ... =25&page=1

Add a w

The paragraph in question is:

Invariably you will find the fish is hooked neatly in the scissors, causing very little damage. If you find you are missing fish then I would leave it a few seconds longer. Leaving the strike up to even as long as a minute with a big deadbait, would probably not result in a deeply hooked pike and then you'd only have a single hook to remove but I truly believe this method is the end of deep hooked pike problem when deadbaiting if only we can convert everyone! I'm going to try my hardest.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

He shouldnt use big deads then, simples!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Sheps, does your club mean circles or singles, singles could mean any type of single hook that might not be up to the task for pike, i would check that first with the club. If its circles then the point is they are designed to catch on an edge.

its true deep hooked pike are a lot less likely than with trebles but it seems to me people are using this as a major selling point and saying deep hooked pike are a thing of the past and best for beginners. A dangerous statement if ever there was one as no amount of gadgetry and rigs will ever replace common sense and good handling.

Thats not the thing i dislike about circles though. The thing that worries me is the fact they hook in the scissors, the very thing the pike uses to feed with and in my opinion is not how we should be going about this at all. imo the best place to hook a pike inside its boney mouth, granted not all the time but better than scissors every time in my opinion.

Also i believe you do not strike with circles but let the pike eject it or it slides out naturally then finding an edge.

These circle hook rigs seem to be doing the rounds a bit lately :(
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

oh and for what its worth. Crimp the lower and knotless knot the upper, hair rig style. Though i do believe the vast majority of people who use circles only have one circle.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Andrew Croft wrote:
Sheps, does your club mean circles or singles, singles could mean any type of single hook that might not be up to the task for pike, i would check that first with the club. If its circles then the point is they are designed to catch on an edge.

its true deep hooked pike are a lot less likely than with trebles but it seems to me people are using this as a major selling point and saying deep hooked pike are a thing of the past and best for beginners. A dangerous statement if ever there was one as no amount of gadgetry and rigs will ever replace common sense and good handling.

Thats not the thing i dislike about circles though. The thing that worries me is the fact they hook in the scissors, the very thing the pike uses to feed with and in my opinion is not how we should be going about this at all. imo the best place to hook a pike inside its boney mouth, granted not all the time but better than scissors every time in my opinion.

Also i believe you do not strike with circles but let the pike eject it or it slides out naturally then finding an edge.

The rig this chap shows is only good against deep hooking because of the hook placement and not hook type, hair rigged off the tail!
Dont bother with the second hook as they can often lay flat to the bait on so loose its hooking potential.
I would use small baits or say 4 inches and fish them on a similar rig to the one shown and strike as normal,
I think popped up a tad works for me also!

Cheers Alan
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:

The rig this chap shows is only good against deep hooking because of the hook placement and not hook type, hair rigged off the tail!
Dont bother with the second hook as they can often lay flat to the bait on so loose its hooking potential.
I would use small baits or say 4 inches and fish them on a similar rig to the one shown and strike as normal,

Cheers Alan
I'm talking about circles Image
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

I personally rate circles for free roving baits, but they dont just hook in the scissors, not by any means. Ive hooked zeds in the scissors, right at the front of the mouth between there teeth, midway down there mouths and even further down there mouths. Have had pike on them too. I wouldnt ever leave it a whole minute to hit a run! THey dont have a little man on them to stop them hooking in to the stomach!

See no problem personally with hooking pike in the scissors, how often do you see a pike with a damaged mouth due to the hooks catching in the scissors? Not often in my experience. If they where they easily damaged in the mouth area they wouldnt have survived for thousands of years.
Actually know as Danny..
Sheps31
Roach
Roach

Post by Sheps31 »

Andrew Croft wrote:

I have spoken with our club again, and they have said I can either use single hooks (of any kind), or doubles, as one of the hooks is in the bait. I have just tied some rigs up with just a single size 1 Owner hooks, some with hair rigs, and others without, and will be fishing small chunks as bait while using this method. I am still waiting for my doubles to arrive in the post, so I will tie some rigs using these too, to see how they compare

I would never be happy about leaving a run for anywhere near a minute, and I would imagine that if this was done on a lot of waters, you wouldn't be on there for long
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Andrew Croft wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:

Cheers Alan
You may be but that chap isnt!
Cant see the point of circles in course fishing especially if your near the rods, if it aint broke dont fix it Image
Doubles are a good option

Cheers Alan
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

just wanted him to be sure it wasn't circles they were on about since its been getting talked a lot about this weather and so i could blether a wee bit about how much i dislike circles Image

i agree if it aint broke. trebles have been number one for years and hopefully still will be long after im gone.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Andrew Croft wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:

Cheers Alan
You may be but that chap isnt!
Cant see the point of circles in course fishing especially if your near the rods, if it aint broke dont fix it Image
Doubles are a good option

Cheers Alan

Image id look at the doubles to.