Bait flags

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Gonk
Roach
Roach

Bait flags

Post by Gonk »

Are they needed??
Do they work as a "target point"
Or are they just to get more pennies out of my pocket
Trigga72
Perch
Perch

Re: Bait flags

Post by Trigga72 »

You hit the nail on the head with your third question.
If you feel you must put something red on your bait, use some red electrical tape.
It's Easy To Pick On One Man...Ask "Mad Mic"
alang1877
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by alang1877 »

Get an old bicycle tube and cut that up. Costs nothing, will last for years and is very durable.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

those little red things are a must, everyone should have some, at least 2 packets Image

Ive got plenty Image

and I will change my mind as soon as I have got rid of the useless fecking things.
a bigger piece of more flexible red and white tape stuff is better, Mr Horton recommends the free stuff found tied round roadworks as suitable material Image
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

The only time I really use such things are to keep liveys on the hook although they do tend to stay on the rigs when fishing deads, I do use bait flags nice and convenient but a cut piece of rubber band, inner tube will do fine.
As for being red or black for that matter, it cant hurt!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

I don't think their needed, but Dave Horton's done pretty well for himself and I know it was abit of a trademark for him! Only time I use them are to stop lives escaping but any bit of rubber would do same!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I use them as a visual aid for landing fish, you can see where the hooks are straight away.

As a bait saver or target point, useless IMO
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

They ain't a bad thing. I bought a packet years ago out of curiosity. They work great for live bait, I prefer bait elastic for deads rather than the flags.

I like them on lure hooks too.

Like has already been mentioned though any sort of rubbery/tough material would do the same job at a fraction of the cost Image my favorite are the red elastic bands the postman usually has and cut them into little bits.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Doubt if they attract pike but handy for keeping the hooks in the bait. Fold over a piece of insulation tape so that its stuck to itself and cut to your chosen size.
A roll should last at least 10 years.. Image
Marcraft are for queers.
StevePritch
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by StevePritch »

Only use IMO is to quickly identify the hook with the barb on it - my old eyes are knackered. AND, I use the posties rubber bands instead of wasting money.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Are pike anglers the tightest bunch or what? you wouldn't find a crap angler saving money as it so yesterday to do so Image

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Well IMO that work so well that I've even see pressured fish turned off by them!

(Just for Bill face)
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

StevePritch wrote:
Only use IMO is to quickly identify the hook with the barb on it - my old eyes are knackered. AND, I use the posties rubber bands instead of wasting money.
Thats a good point. My eyes aint wot they used to be too. I use Tippex on the hooks with the barb.
(works for me face)
Incumbam, et sternebant
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Dave Horton wrote:
Well IMO that work so well that I've even see pressured fish turned off by them!

(Just for Bill face)
Image.

(Just for the record, complete indifference face)
Marcraft are for queers.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

The predator wrote:
StevePritch wrote:
Thats a good point. My eyes aint wot they used to be too. I use Tippex on the hooks with the barb.
(works for me face)
I squash 2 down (better than barbless but as easy to get out) and I just feel for the one with the barb left, tippex washes off Pred and how can you see it in the dark on waters where you don't want to shine a light Image