Bait only rivers

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
TheGlove
Stickleback
Stickleback

Bait only rivers

Post by TheGlove »

Hi

I've never properly bait fished for pike, almost exclusively my piking has been done with lures but I have now joined a club that has two good stretches of river that are bait only because of Salmon/ Sea trout runs.

Not wanting to rock the apple cart early on I'm going to respect it and not ask for a rule change to allow 8" plus lures :veryevil: and thought it would be good to learn the art of bait fishing rivers.

I will need to start from the bottom up, I will take a single rod approach and rove but I was wondering given an opportunity to start fresh what approach to tackle/ rigs would a seasoned river pike angler take?
Hechtjaeger
Perch
Perch

Re: Bait only rivers

Post by Hechtjaeger »

I would look at Mick Brown's Fox Guide to Modern Piking. Appreciate that there are other brands of tackle too but its a well written guide, especially so for the novice. Great diagrams etc. :thumbs:

Very cheap to buy HERE
Matt

Hairy piker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Hairy piker »

Not sure how big the river you are talking about is but I tend to use 10ft boat rods and 5000re reels. The shorter rods are easier to move about with and also great for accessing tight swims.
Rods I use are Old agitators which are absolutely superb IMO also won't break the bank.
When roving I keep tackle to bare minimum as if you carry too much gear I get a bit lazy.
There's some great stuff on British Pike squad web site.
dart stew laws
Zander
Zander

Post by dart stew laws »

Seriously consider wobbling baits if that is allowed, and as Matt has stated Fox's guide is an informative bit of reading to start with.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Keep in the move till you find them, roving lives are good at finding fish but also a nice big sea dead in close will score especially if the rivers coloured up
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

Or a big dead salmon or sea trout!
TheGlove
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by TheGlove »

Ok, sorted the book :)
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

dart stew laws wrote:
Seriously consider wobbling baits if that is allowed, and as Matt has stated Fox's guide is an informative bit of reading to start with.
To my shame I've not read the Fox guide but as Stew suggests, I'd go with wobbling.

(It's like lure fishing but better face)