Finding the depth

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
brydeighton
Stickleback
Stickleback

Finding the depth

Post by brydeighton »

Currently sat by the water having a go at dead baiting for the first time.

Something that never sprang to mind until my first cast is how you go about finding the bottom when float fishing.

It was nice and easy when pole or waggler fishing in the past, stick a plummet on the end of the hook.

Today I have done by using dead bait as the plummet. Is that how it's usually done or is there any other ways?
Nice one

Bry
owen k
Chub
Chub

Re: Finding the depth

Post by owen k »

I just use a big lead clipped onto uptrace,heavy enough to sink my small float with a sliding stop knot on the line.
brydeighton
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by brydeighton »

Yeah that sounds a good idea.

Thanks owen
Nice one

Bry
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

mainline > free runnin weight > bead > float.

measure a foot on your rod from the top of the grip (ive got a wee bit of power gum tied on at 1ft).

cast and wind the float down to meet the weight while pointing the rod at the weight then strip of a foot at a time using your guide while counting as you go until the float appears.

I use a large chubber/swan float :thumbs:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

brydeighton wrote:
Currently sat by the water having a go at dead baiting for the first time.

Something that never sprang to mind until my first cast is how you go about finding the bottom when float fishing.

It was nice and easy when pole or waggler fishing in the past, stick a plummet on the end of the hook.

Today I have done by using dead bait as the plummet. Is that how it's usually done or is there any other ways?
Fish with an unloaded, bottom end only float, and a fixed weight, either shot or semi fixed lead.

Set the stop knot over depth, cast out carefully wind down until the float "c*cks" and set the baitrunner.

When the bait is moved the float will fall over and cant reset (unless strong current), which means even if you glance away from your float for a second you will know instantly you have had a pick up.

Also you don't have to worry about depth or keep moving stop knot and is perfect for wacking out baits and then gradually bringing them in, searching the water as you go.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

The other way is ledgering..... :roll:
Incumbam, et sternebant
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

The predator wrote:
:laughs:
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

The predator wrote:
Yup, that is an option, but for me that means 6 banksticks + buzzers to carry and keep setting up and taking down.

On a typical day I might fish 6-8 swims, floats make it so much easier..
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

The first bait in a swim can be the one that is taken. Personally i dont bother plumbing initially if i have a general idea of depth and fishing a static bait.
To me the first bait in is crucial... having big leads dropping in continually or bright orange floats bobbing from bottom to top as you measure the depth is counter productive. Scares pike and fodder fish in many scenaros. Although in some commercials a lot of noise can be a dinner bell...
Stealth can be your biggest asset. Set the float up over depth and tighten down to it till its set suitably on the surface. Job done. Whena pike takes the bait it will either pop up or slide away but the bite is obv enough. Then plumb the swim as you leave ready for next time.
Love the hit!
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
The first bait in a swim can be the one that is taken. Personally i dont bother plumbing initially if i have a general idea of depth and fishing a static bait.
To me the first bait in is crucial... having big leads dropping in continually or bright orange floats bobbing from bottom to top as you measure the depth is counter productive. Scares pike and fodder fish in many scenaros. Although in some commercials a lot of noise can be a dinner bell...
Stealth can be your biggest asset. Set the float up over depth and tighten down to it till its set suitably on the surface. Job done. Whena pike takes the bait it will either pop up or slide away but the bite is obv enough. Then plumb the swim as you leave ready for next time.
And lead it as-well to see what type of bottom your fishing over :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Crackoff wrote:
Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:

Always bottoms with you innit? :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

The predator wrote:
Crackoff wrote:
Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:

Always bottoms with you innit? :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
You know me Andy :wink: I never leave my friends behind :grin:

Grant see what I did there face :lol:
Last edited by Crackoff on Mon May 11 2015 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
I think noise often attracts pike.
Marcraft are for queers.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

With you there too Bill but stealth first as there is no going back after making the noise. You can make a noise after the stealth approach :thumbs:
Love the hit!
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

These floats availablle from premier floats lock on the surface to give you the depth without plumbing. One turn of the handle and they c*ck above you lead/bait
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Drop your c*ck in and if the end don't touch the bottom its deeper than 12" :grin:
fisherman
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fisherman »

Graham Benyon wrote:
These floats availablle from premier floats lock on the surface to give you the depth without plumbing. One turn of the handle and they c*ck above you lead/bait
These look good :thumbs: :thumbs:
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

trolling floats will do the same. use a decent lead, cast out at desired spot, wind in carefully but on a tight line, the distance from float to lead is roughly the depth. piece of cake it is...
Greetings from the continent,

Tim
drifted
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by drifted »

Wouldn't a Polaris do the same job without the need to use stop nots .
Just got myself a Rubens depth meter so going out later to a local water to map it up for shelf etc
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Ash m wrote:
Drop your c*ck in and if the end don't touch the bottom its deeper than 12" :grin:
Kinnell you've got short legs Ash!! :eek:
Swifty
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Swifty »

I just attach all my gear, pencil float, attached bottom end only and stopped with a small bead and a float stop, uptrace and lead. Just leave the hook trace off and have a couple of chucks until the float either c*cks or half-c*cks. Then just increase the depth by around 1ft to 18in. Attach trace and deadbait, cast out and the float will lie flat. Wind down until it c*cks and put the baitrunner on.
SKIN CANCER KILLS, EVEN IN BRITAIN
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Swifty wrote:
I just attach all my gear, pencil float, attached bottom end only and stopped with a small bead and a float stop, uptrace and lead. Just leave the hook trace off and have a couple of chucks until the float either c*cks or half-c*cks. Then just increase the depth by around 1ft to 18in. Attach trace and deadbait, cast out and the float will lie flat. Wind down until it c*cks and put the baitrunner on.
+1, sounds about right and takes a minute or 2. :wink:
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

One cast and retrieve with a smartcast per rod is all you need, can't beet it :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Doing just that has changed my approach to both bank and boat fishing.....
Gives you a very accurate bait placement approach when over stream beds and structure.
Rivers.. Flick it out and let it run down stream till the hole is found and cast to it.
Plumbing new venues is easier.

Handy bit of kit
Love the hit!