Noob reel advice

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Noob reel advice

Post by ChrisWales »

As a total Pike noob, I am Putting together a starter lure combo and a bit of kit so I can have a proper go later in the year.
I have a Savage Gear MPP rod, it's the 9ft 90g one.

Whats the best sort of Piking reel size to suit do you think? I was thinking a 4000.
Couple of recommendations? Maybe a cheaper option say around the £40 mark and a better quality option say around £90?

Appreciate everyone will have different opinions on reel preference, but at the moment I seem to be struggling to even find a starting point!

I used the rod with my Shimano Exage 3000 (my general float fishing reel) for a bit of Perch fishing but I'm assuming I need to go a bit larger for Piking?
morph
Perch
Perch

Re: Noob reel advice

Post by morph »

This post might get more answers in the Lure section.

Here's by 2p worth (I'm no expert by the way)

I have a Shimano Bio Master 3000 paired with my DL Duelliest 1 (9ft 15-45g)
Mate has a Shimano Seido 4000 paired with a Wychwood 8ft lure (20-60g)

Both of us find they are well balanced with the rods, hold enough line (30lb Braid) and manage to cope with what we have thrown at them.

Things to consider:

4000 will weigh slightly more than a 3000 and you have to be carrying it/holding it/casting it all day.
Cheaper reels will have cheaper components and lure reels go through a lot more winding, bail arm opening closing etc than a reel used for deadbaiting.
A good clutch is a must.

Might be worth looking for second hand, I picked up the Bio Master 3000 for £75 (£150 new) and the Seido 4000 for £40 (£80 new, can be found for £60) Both from the Sale section on this forum.

But personally I think your current reel will be fine for the job in hand.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Thanks for the reply.
I was considering putting some braid on my Exage's spare spool but I often leave it tackled up on my float rod for short sesssions after work. Also, as you say a lure reel works hard so I like the idea of preserving the longevity of the exage on the float set up!
It would be nice to have proper separate set ups so I can just grab gear quickly rather than swap reels out of tackle bags etc so just need to source something I suppose. Maybe another Exage!
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

I'm the same as you, have spare spools with nothing on them as I prefer to have a rod set up and ready to go.

Exage can be had for under £60

£59.99 for the 3000
£52.99 for the 4000

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-exage-fd-reel

(angling direct normally do a 10% discount on a bank holiday weekend :wink: )

Good place for braid:

http://www.fishingtackle-online.co.uk/
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Obviusly the bigger sizes have the increased line capacity, but I don't think I would need that much for bankside lure fishing.
Any other reasons for a bigger size reel than say a 3000 size?
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

Weight and ratio

Size: Weight: Ratio: Capacity:

4000 320g 5,2:1 0.3dia 180m

3000 250g 5,0:1 0.3dia 100m
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

I was looking at an Okuma Helios HXG thats on offer at £80 and an Okuma Trio SRS at £60 earlier, anyone have any thoughts on these for general lure fishing?