un hooking pike

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Itsabign
Stickleback
Stickleback

un hooking pike

Post by Itsabign »

Hey all

Just wondering about chining pike, Relativity new to pike fishing and have gotten hooked to pike fishing, Personally I'm not 100% sure about chining pike ( I have all the un hooking equipment, Rubber net, un hooking mat and a good pair of pliers etc!) just wondering how do you possibly go about chining pike? I've tried it before, I slid my hands in to where the pike membrene is and that's where i was gripping the fish (not to hard) , Is that correct? Also Should you where gloves if your starting out? I've watched the videos but I don't think they give you a great angle to see where the persons hands go in!

Any ideas?
Tdreamer
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: un hooking pike

Post by Tdreamer »

It can be quite daunting putting your fingers in to chin. I'm no expert but once you do it a few times it becomes easy. Hopefully someone will advise you.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Hi
Is there any one who could accompany you and show you the ropes and stand over you while your doing it.if your not sure please don't attempt it .
Pike may look ferocious but they are delicate and if handled incorrectly at worst could die.
As for gloves their a personal thing some of us don't others do
All the best and welcome to the pit.
Tom
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Itsabign wrote:
Hey all

Just wondering about chining pike, Relativity new to pike fishing and have gotten hooked to pike fishing, Personally I'm not 100% sure about chining pike ( I have all the un hooking equipment, Rubber net, un hooking mat and a good pair of pliers etc!) just wondering how do you possibly go about chining pike? I've tried it before, I slid my hands in to where the pike membrene is and that's where i was gripping the fish (not to hard) , Is that correct? Also Should you where gloves if your starting out? I've watched the videos but I don't think they give you a great angle to see where the persons hands go in!

Any ideas?
RIVERPIKER on youtube has a good little video about unhooking
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Lee7499 wrote:
Itsabign wrote:
Hey all

Any ideas?
RIVERPIKER on youtube has a good little video about unhooking
If you watch the Northern Lure Bash video it shows me showing a young lad how to unhook and hold a Pike. :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
BarryC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by BarryC »

Here it is, always thought it was very good with nice clear shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7XBbF4Cf8&t=82s
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Any idea what landing net he is using in the video?
Ray Waker
Itsabign
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Itsabign »

Cheers for the replys

That's what I've been doing in that video in river piker around 1:23 in the video, I'm planning on going with an experienced angler late December, just wondering if I could kinda get started off chining !

Cheers
callumlaird
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by callumlaird »

Its very important to learn to chin pike as trying to shove pliers in its mouth without chinning will end in loads of broken teeth and a struggled drawn out unhooking process. Its very easy once youve done it once or twice. You will probably catch yourself on a tooth or gill raker now and then but it wont kill you, sounds like your doing it about right just get a good grip on the jaw and dont rip the membraney bit
callumlaird
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by callumlaird »

callumlaird
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by callumlaird »

If a glove makes you feel more confident then use something like those fox rage gloves but they get snagged up on the gill rakers so its best to try to go without
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Mercman wrote:
Any idea what landing net he is using in the video?
Looks like a Fastnet mate. Andy Lush used to sell them but not sure if he still does though
Incumbam, et sternebant
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

BarryC wrote:
Here it is, always thought it was very good with nice clear shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7XBbF4Cf8&t=82s
Its a very brave man who would put a video like that on here, "give the lure a yank!" :wink: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJGaNDXpaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLo8vWDtDQc

PAC, EA, BASG etc did a video on pike fishing in the Broads....here are a couple of the chapters.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

callumlaird wrote:
Your fingers are in the opposite side there :scratch:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Steve Dennington wrote:
callumlaird wrote:
Very well spotted Steve and it would be dangerous for the pike if it did a spaz out while being held like that and shows how brave you have to be to post any images or video especially in regards to fish welfare :wink:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
callumlaird
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by callumlaird »

Steve Dennington wrote:
callumlaird wrote:
I think its just the way it looks in the picture, probably not the best pic to use as an example but i promise you my fingers were in the right side