Best method on murky canal

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Jules2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Best method on murky canal

Post by Jules2 »

Hi all,
I am just after a bit of advice on what would be the best method for pike on a very murky canal. The water is like hot chocolate due to the many canal boats.
I know that it will clear up in the winter when the boat traffic is much less and I intend to fish it a lot more then, but I want to have a few short sessions now.

Thanks

Jules
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Best method on murky canal

Post by alan behenna »

Find somewhere else.

:pirate:
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

The pike won't be bothered by the water colour they'll be used to it, in summer though it will be hard work as the temps rise they shut up shop would be better to leave them till autumn when conditions are better
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

The eels maybe more obliging
Jules2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jules2 »

Ok, thanks folks. I will leave until the autumn. As for eels, no thanks ........ not too keen on them , but thanks for the idea anyway.

Jules
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fish right alongside the bank, really tight, with a small deadbait, rod along the bank, bait downstream of whatever flow you have.
Locations; near a bridge, any bridge, or a lock, boat sheds or sunken boats.
Short jaggy bites are eels, slow pulls can be Pike.
Be preparred for a serously big eel, I lost a simply huge eel as a teenager fishing like this, it straightened the hook!
If the Pike are there you WILL catch them!
If immigrants live in the area fish well away from access points.

Let us know now you get on.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jules2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jules2 »

Thanks for the ideas Mike, I will give it a go.
Jules2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jules2 »

I have had a couple of short sessions (about 3 hours each), fished sprat and mackerel sections popped up. I tried tight to the bank as suggested and also further out using 2 rods felt really confident but never had a bite. Returned yesterday with my lure rod and had a couple of hits from the same fish under my feet but no take and landed one at dusk about 5lb. I will keep trying :grin:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Jules2 wrote: Mon Nov 06 2017 21:28 -
I have had a couple of short sessions (about 3 hours each), fished sprat and mackerel sections popped up. I tried tight to the bank as suggested and also further out using 2 rods felt really confident but never had a bite. Returned yesterday with my lure rod and had a couple of hits from the same fish under my feet but no take and landed one at dusk about 5lb. I will keep trying :grin:
I would keep mobile, move the baits around a lot and wouldn't spend more than an hour in each swim.

Pike will sit where they want to sit, this will change from month to month, even day to day.

The more water you cover the quicker you will find the spots they like and will start to see patterns in behaviour.

Try different baits as well, I know others disagree, but I have found pike can be very bait selective at times.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Fire tiger pattern glider of some sort.
Jules2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jules2 »

Thanks for the replies, I did move, had about 10 to 15 minutes and then leapfrogged a rod past the other and so on. Like you say Duncan if I keep moving then I should find them. I will try dead's where I had the fish on Sunday.
I have never used gliders Andrew, I will look into them.
Thanks again

Jules