Starting lure fishing on the river for perch, could use some advice.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
clutch
Stickleback
Stickleback

Starting lure fishing on the river for perch, could use some advice.

Post by clutch »

Hey,

I have been fishing the Severn at Bridgnorth for barbel and I want to try my hand at lure fishing. I would like to target perch, but still have the correct equipment to deal with small pike.

I don't have any experience lure fishing, so I really could use some help/advice on the best way to start.

I could use some basic advice on the sort of tackle I will need, rods, reel, line, lures etc. If possible I don't want to break the bank...but, I want to make sure I have all the right kit.

Also, I have no idea how to approach lure fishing on the Severn, areas that might hold fish, best conditions, how to fish, how often to move swim etc.

I really am starting without any background knowledge, I would be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Re: Starting lure fishing on the river for perch, could use some advice.

Post by royboy »

Start with a light spinning rod , 7/9` rated up to 40gms , a 3000 sized spinning reel , maybe 30lb braid ,
a light wire trace because you`re bound to hit a pike now and again .
Half a dozen small lures , like Big S , small spoons , rubber jigs , and a mepps type spinner etc.
Polaroids to spot following fish .
If you are roving I would give each swim 15mins ,
I`m not familiar with the Severn , but thats fairly standard advice for most rivers .
Obviously there are variations because of depths and currents .

But like most fishing methods its a case of time on the bank and chop and change .
Best of luck .
Pat
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Starting lure fishing on the river for perch, could use some advice.

Post by Mike J »

A soft bait under a float will catch Perch.
Ive always caught well on a Senko (it has neutral buoyancy) fished dead slow, once they get hold of it most fish will not let it go, darker colours esp. root beer are a good choice.
Don't fish to fast, perch don't like to swim fast for to long.
Be flexible and prepared to add a stinger hook if you get tail nippers and a Mepps #2 if all else fails.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus