Switching to multiplier reels question

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Switching to multiplier reels question

Post by Richard Grave »

Was toying with the idea of switching to multiplier reels for dead baiting whilst afloat, was wondering if it is possible to adjust the tension of the free spool by adjusting the cast control as it would be handy to finely adjust for trolling baits and to slacken right off for static fishing?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Switching to multiplier reels question

Post by Mike J »

For infinite spool control a good lever drag reel is the only game in town.
Everything else is a compromise and a poor one at that.

Look for Penn GLS 25s, open graphite cage allows easy thumb control, easily interchangeable between right and lefthand wind, spool control from totally free to lockdown with one single lever movement, a huge drag disc that will give 30lb plus, big comfortable handle for cold days, and you get an loud on/off clicker.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Thanks Mike, with these reels is it possible to alter the tension to which line is paid out when the reel is in free spool and the clicker is on?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Penn GLS 25
No level wind.

To answer the question about using the spool tension control as a drag in free spool, the answer is yes it can be done. But it's not a great system not least because if you forget to put it back to how it should be for casting you'll either cast about a foot or get a huge birdsnest! :laughs:
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Ahh , over looked that Dave . The main reason for thinking about a switch was to cut out the annoyance of the main line plinking off the stop knot on the spool and resulting in a lame cast or at worst catapulting the baits off. Seems to happen quite regularly when using bigger baits with fixed spool reels
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

What are you using for stop knots?
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Cut down to 8lb power gum from 15lb Dave and still having problems
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I can only suggest making sure the knot is at the back of the spool with no turns behind it when you cast. Or try Dacron?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Dave,
No game reel has a levelwind.
Why, because levelwinds are not designed to operate under heavy loads.
A well designed small multiplier such as a 12C Alutecnos will lay the line itself, certainly good enough to avoid line build up on one side of the spool, proving a levelwind is not an essential.

Richard
Line being "payed out" ?
Dropping a bait down or drifting a bait away - the lever is pulled into the FREE position setting (lifting 95% drag off) the spool will rotate freely.
NB behind FREE is a spring loaded stop button which can be depressed to allow the lever to pass and provide 100% free spool operation.
Lever in FREE and the basic clicker engaged would take a goodish +2-4oz pull to allow line to leave the reel. Clicker tension can re-adjusted manually via the click spring.
Drag pressures on Penns are adjusted via the knurled knob alongside the drag lever, on other brands there can be an adjusting knob on the opposite side plate. The 'line class' (IGFA) of the reel determines the maximum drag pressure the reel is designed to apply without damage.
The drag lever will move through a 60degree arc from FREE through STRIKE to FULL or sunset (total lockup) in one single operation and drag pressure can be applied or reduced while fighting a fish.

Last edited by Mike J on Sun Dec 24 2017 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Thanks for the detailed reply will take a look at them now . Dave ta for the tips also !
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

But pikers don't need big game reels, Mike. :smile:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Sun Dec 24 2017 20:30 -
But pikers don't need big game reels, Mike. :smile:

You didnt 'need' PE/Dyneema/Spectra line but when someone showed you its benefits you started to use it.

There is not a single reason why a small lever drag reel wouldn't outperform a levelwind reel for pike fishing.
So why are they not used?
Ignorance.
Anglers either haven't tried them or they are dissuaded from doing so by those who know no better.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

They aren't used for the same reason fixed spool reels without bale arms aren't used. :wink:

I thought about trying Charter Specials years ago, but a) they are RHW, and b) they're big and 'orrible! :laughs:

If someone made a 6000 size lever drag reel with a levelwind I'm sure some pikers would use them. But for most purposes a baitrunner does the job better than a multiplier for bait fishing.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Richard,
You won't have any trouble with stopknots on a multiplier as they can't really snag on anything, even the rubber braid stops pass out through the levelwind with no issues. I use Abu's for all bait fishing from the boat. People get very concerned about the resistance thing, but in practice pike don't seem in the slightest bit concerned about the resistance from the clicker and it's a handy backup audible indicator if your eye has wandered from the float. For static fishing I fish off the clicker all the time, so no constant messing with the cast control knob. Where the cast control comes in handy is when fishing a drifter off a multi, you can set it to pay out line at whatever rate you want subject to wind strength and then it looks after itself. It also keeps a nice tight line to the float at all times so that when you get a take you're in almost instant contact instead of gathering up the slack that can accumulate when using the drifter off of a fixed spool, if you don't babysit it.
Marcraft are for queers.
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Thanks Bill , had been using a multi for about a month or so now for drifter fishing after reading a post on here and had noticed how much more stop knot friendly they were after changing the drifter to static fish. Had a pm from a member on here telling how to reduce the resistance of the clicker by filing down one side on the clicker pawl . I know it's probably paranoia but I do like less resistance as it's quite a pull on my c4 atm to pay line . Incidentally ever since starting fishing I've used powergum for stop knots as it was always recommended in every book / magazine ... what exactly is wrong with using mono? Does the sliding friction damage the mainline in some way?
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

You can use whatever suits best as a stopknot Richard, but I find that moving a mono stopknot around frequently on braid sees it fall apart in no time. As you don't need to be as streamlined with the knot for a multi, a rubber braid stop will last practically the whole winter. :thumbs:
Marcraft are for queers.
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Mike J wrote: Sun Dec 24 2017 20:22 -
Dave,
A well designed small multiplier such as a 12C Alutecnos will lay the line itself, certainly good enough to avoid line build up on one side of the spool, proving a levelwind is not an essential.

Richard
Line being "payed out" ?
Dropping a bait down or drifting a bait away - the lever is pulled into the FREE position setting (lifting 95% drag off) the spool will rotate freely.
NB behind FREE is a spring loaded stop button which can be depressed to allow the lever to pass and provide 100% free spool operation.
Lever in FREE and the basic clicker engaged would take a goodish +2-4oz pull to allow line to leave the reel. Clicker tension can re-adjusted manually via the click spring.
Drag pressures on Penns are adjusted via the knurled knob alongside the drag lever, on other brands there can be an adjusting knob on the opposite side plate. The 'line class' (IGFA) of the reel determines the maximum drag pressure the reel is designed to apply without damage.
The drag lever will move through a 60degree arc from FREE through STRIKE to FULL or sunset (total lockup) in one single operation and drag pressure can be applied or reduced while fighting a fish.

https://www.gerrysfishing.com/okuma-slx ... er-drag.ir
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Avets are a nice little reel,a bit bulky for casting/thumbing though but reasonably priced for what they offer.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

cooky wrote: Mon Dec 25 2017 13:14 -
Dave,

Richard
Line being "payed out" ?

A neat little reel cooky :thumbs:
But from what I can find its not available in thr lefthand wind favoured my most UK pike anglers.

Nobby, the Avet MXJ 5.8 is a compact lever drag reel and it does come in lefthand wind, of the various Avets Ive seen in action all have been well made and performed faultlessly.

However many righthanded reels can be converted into leftys, all it usually requires is a little re-engineering.
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Mike J wrote: Mon Dec 25 2017 19:20 -
Dave,

Richard
Line being "payed out" ?

But from what I can find its not available in thr lefthand wind favoured my most UK pike anglers.

Nobby, the Avet MXJ 5.8 is a compact lever drag reel and it does come in lefthand wind, of the various Avets Ive seen in action all have been well made and performed faultlessly.

However many righthanded reels can be converted into leftys, all it usually requires is a little re-engineering.
seek and ye shall find ;)

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/okuma-re ... -hand-reel
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

[/quote]

Oh yes, we can all see UK anglers importing reels from New Zealand :grin:

I doubt 1 in 1,000 would even consider it with less if any follow through with a purchase :roll:

Obviously if there was a demand Okuma would be stocking them here but there isn't.
The few UK pike anglers who already use a lever drag are probably satisfied with the reels they have, and those that do not, will not, for the reasons I have previously mentioned.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

cooky wrote: Mon Dec 25 2017 20:51 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Dec 25 2017 19:20 -
Dave,

Richard
Line being "payed out" ?

About 12-13 years ag I bought 3 Okumas similar to this but an earlier model, to try for piking. Fine reels but a bit heavy and cumbersome, if I was to use one word to describe them, it would be unecessary ? I sold them on as I had no other use for them.
Marcraft are for queers.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Richard, I use any 6501 c3's almost exclusively for pike fishing. IMO for general pike fishing they are superior to a fixed spool in every way.

Straight out of the box they are perfectly adequate, but if your strip them, clean them properly, re-grease with cals universal grease and load the bearings with red rocket oil they will run as smooth as a sewing machine.

The standard drag washers are Ok, but a change to carbotex will give you a bit more range in the drag, and smooth as silk.

The beauty of the abu is the simplicity or service and ease of obtaining spare parts, most stuff is available next day. I'm not sure if the same can be said for other makes?

I have never found the level wind to be an issue for piking, my beach reels were ct converted for distance, but for piking especially off a boat it's not an issue.

Setting up the brakes is pretty easy, i run mine pretty free, with one white block, relying on my thumb to control the spool. This suits me as I have used multis for years, but if you are new to them 2 or 3 blocks to start with will reduce backlash. You can then click off or drop blocks as experience increases.

I have friends that use abu 6500's that are decades old and still as good as the day they got them. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

You on commision for posting links ?
jimmy minors
Roach
Roach

Post by jimmy minors »

Duncan.I use both baitcasters & fixed spool when lure fishing & find my baitcaters give me far more control and a feeling of being more Intouch with the lure.I am about to replace 3 fox fixed spools (don't ask) on my 12ft bank rods.Do you pair the baitcasters with dedicated rods fitted with more rings to keep the braid away from the blank or just fish your usual rods upside down?
cheers

jimmy
Yeah?Did ya?
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Andrew Croft wrote: Tue Dec 26 2017 13:30 -
its being helpful as he gave the wrong name
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

jimmy minors wrote: Tue Dec 26 2017 13:59 -
Duncan.I use both baitcasters & fixed spool when lure fishing & find my baitcaters give me far more control and a feeling of being more Intouch with the lure.I am about to replace 3 fox fixed spools (don't ask) on my 12ft bank rods.Do you pair the baitcasters with dedicated rods fitted with more rings to keep the braid away from the blank or just fish your usual rods upside down?
cheers

jimmy
Mine are paired with DL P1's rung rover style, 30mm butt ring, + 7, + tip and I don't have any issues. If I was going to rebuild these purely for multi's I would probably add another intermediate, but these rods get used for other species with fixed spools so they will stay as they are.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Never had any noticeable increase in dropped takes Duncan?
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

cooky wrote: Tue Dec 26 2017 15:53 -
Andrew Croft wrote: Tue Dec 26 2017 13:30 -
its being helpful as he gave the wrong name

this is who I normally use.

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/?cPath=86_ ... 38ac1f6df0