Deadbait instructions required.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Bryanmcdonald
Stickleback
Stickleback

Deadbait instructions required.

Post by Bryanmcdonald »

I want to try dead baiting for pike. I have the rod and reel etc. What I am not too clear about is the bait. What are the options.
I can buy from the tackle shop, correct ?
Can I catch my own, freeze it and use it in the same water I caught it. I.E. the local canal?
I ask this because shop bought baits could originate from anywhere!
Can someone guide me and provide clarity, I want to do this properly.
If a body of water holds pike, perch, roach etc, why do people use sea fish (mackerel) and not a native roach?
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Deadbait instructions required.

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

If catching and freezing baits you can use them anywhere.

As for sea baits in freshwater, you just have to pander to the pikes preferences, nothing more logical than that. To find out what they want you have to offer them a choice.If you only want to offer them just roach that is your call.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Bryan, you can use baits which you can buy frozen from various bait suppliers, however there are some waters which do stipulate sea baits only (I expect this is to preventive the spread of disease).
As far as I am aware you can catch baits and take them home for your own use, check on the EA website for local regulations for your area it will tell you exactly how many you can take per day, I doubt if anyone takes any notice of that but, if you what to do this by the letter all the info you will need will be there.

I don't think there is any restriction in the EA regulations to have to use dead baits in the same water they originated from, someone else may correct me on that, even so, that info should also be on the EA website, again however you should also check with the rules of the waters you are fishing they might only allow sea baits or fish caught form their own water to be used, very difficult (impossible) for anyone to police.
It gets trickier when using live baits, and more restrictions will apply.

Will
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I always like to have a few options because pike can be fussy, sardines, mackerel, herrings etc and some course baits, roach and skimmer bream being favorite as they are slimy and smelly. Sea baits have a great leak off and pike have liked them for hundreds of years.
If you can catch baits then not only is it good fun but the fresher the better, either catch them and use them straight away which cant be better or tap them on the head, just at the back of the skull with pair of forceps or something and wrap them in cling film.
I believe you can take upto 16 fish of upto 15 cm per day.
Online baits and Nev offer very good bait at very good prices!

Cheers Alan
Last edited by cookiesdaughtersdad on Sun Dec 31 2017 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pikerholic2 »

Find a small water with at least two thirties in. Pm a few people on here , bobs your uncle , you may well have some of the best pike tuition available ,
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Supermarket fish counters and local fishmongers can also be a good cheap source of baits, also some supermarkets sell frozen glazed sardines in kilo packs.
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

pikerholic2 wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 13:24 -
Find a small water with at least two thirties in. Pm a few people on here , bobs your uncle , you may well have some of the best pike tuition available ,
HaHa :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Ray Waker
Bryanmcdonald
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bryanmcdonald »

Don't know about thirties but I do know of places with doubles might be some twenty + going about.
Can't say, because it's up to the individual to do the work to find his or her fishing grounds.
It's all part of the satisfaction, drinking a well earned pint and reflecting on a day of exploring and success.
Many a day it's not like that, blank, weather, flooded river and other things, that all part of it.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Bryanmcdonald wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 18:18 -
Don't know about thirties but I do know of places with doubles might be some twenty + going about.
Can't say, because it's up to the individual to do the work to find his or her fishing grounds.
It's all part of the satisfaction, drinking a well earned pint and reflecting on a day of exploring and success.
Many a day it's not like that, blank, weather, flooded river and other things, that all part of it.
Correct answer and you wont get abused on the PIT if you keep that mindset :thumbs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Bryanmcdonald
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bryanmcdonald »

I have done lots of trout fishing, spent many a day wading searching for trout, some success and some dismal failures. Then on the days of good catches , people ask where was it. All I can recommend is get out and fish, keep notes, think outside the box and most of all explore your area, you just never know. Don't by pass water because people have said there are no fish in it. Because there is.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Keep your trout heads and use those.
Use a whole trout and......

Shhhh :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

I buy my baits from my local supermarket, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel etc if i want Lamprey then it's the local tackle shop. You could also try a Chinese supermarket they have alsorts of fish available but i tend to use what ive just mentioned as they work well for me.....apart from when they are not feeding lol.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.