HOW TO MAKE A DEADBAIT TRACE

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

HOW TO MAKE A DEADBAIT TRACE

Post by David.F.Scobie »

I got asked to show a novice angler how to make my standard pike fishing trace so I made a quick youtube video, I thought I would share this with novices on here too.

The trace is made from AFW 45Lb Bleeding Leader with Owner Trebles its 24" long which is my standard bait trace.

https://youtu.be/bWs_soKky2o
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: HOW TO MAKE A DEADBAIT TRACE

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Good that Metals and will help a few out :thumbs:
Using the carp angler knotless knot is the devils work :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

Post by David.F.Scobie »

over the years I've used a few different ways to secure the top treble to the trace the knotless knot was the easiest i found to tie with numb frozen cold fingers.

but yes its the devils work I agree I've ripped off a few bits from the carpists over the years like the hook sharpening kit then the rig tube stuff after having a pike wrap itself up during the scrap it lost a few scales and tore some of the fins so I adopted the carpist rig tube since then the same things happened three more times and the tube just stops the pike losing scales.

carpist aren't completely useless hahaha
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
niallbuckley4
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by niallbuckley4 »

Hi,

How do you decide what size crimps to use? I am looking at using savage gear blood 49 carbon wire. The wire is 35lbs and 0.6mm, does that mean the crimps should be 1.2mm or should they be slightly larger than double the diameter of the wire?

Thanks for the help
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

niallbuckley4 wrote: Fri Sep 25 2020 19:16 -
Hi,

How do you decide what size crimps to use? I am looking at using savage gear blood 49 carbon wire. The wire is 35lbs and 0.6mm, does that mean the crimps should be 1.2mm or should they be slightly larger than double the diameter of the wire?

Thanks for the help
Start with the 1.4mm Large crimps, you should be able to pass the wire through 3 times.
I'm not familiar with SG wire so not sure if 0.6mm includes the coating. You may have to go to the 1.6 to pass 3x.

P.s. Try AFW great wire and they put the required crimp size on the spool :wink:
Andy Carpenter
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi,

Thanks for the help

One trick Ive seen used when the wire is much smaller than the crimp - a short length of solid copper wire twisted with the trace wire, when crimped the softer copper moulds around the hard wire.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
niallbuckley4
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by niallbuckley4 »

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep a look out for the AFW wire in future. It makes sense to state what crimps the wire should be used with, not sure why they wouldn't.

Niall
Dazcush
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Dazcush »

Cyprio wrote: Sat Sep 26 2020 10:13 -
Hi,

Thanks for the help
Start with the 1.4mm Large crimps, you should be able to pass the wire through 3 times.
I'm not familiar with SG wire so not sure if 0.6mm includes the coating. You may have to go to the 1.6 to pass 3x.

P.s. Try AFW great wire and they put the required crimp size on the spool :wink:
If I am using PikePro 19 strand wire which is 35lb/16kg... could you recommend a crimp size also??

Cheers
Darragh
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Dazcush wrote: Sun Oct 04 2020 19:30 -
Hi,

Thanks for the help

If I am using PikePro 19 strand wire which is 35lb/16kg... could you recommend a crimp size also??

Cheers
Darragh
They recommend these:(copied from their awful sales pitch:

“We advise using our 19-strand wire with PikePro crimps (Q28) to form a secure fixing for hooks and swivels. PLEASE NOTE - This wire is not designed to be twisted.” :grin:

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/pike-pro-crimps-medium

For those looking for AFW
LOOK no further than one of the Pit’s sponsors
https://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tack ... e-Wire-3-1 :wink:
Andy Carpenter
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Hi,

Thanks for the help
It says on the savage gear crimps packets what wires in what strength they are suitable for. They are actually very good crimps and come in large packets for a decent price. I’ll have a look tomorrow which size are for the 35lb Carbon.
Dazcush
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Dazcush »

Cyprio wrote: Sun Oct 04 2020 21:59 -
Dazcush wrote: Sun Oct 04 2020 19:30 -
Hi,

Thanks for the help

Cheers
Darragh
They recommend these:(copied from their awful sales pitch:

“We advise using our 19-strand wire with PikePro crimps (Q28) to form a secure fixing for hooks and swivels. PLEASE NOTE - This wire is not designed to be twisted.” :grin:

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/pike-pro-crimps-medium

For those looking for AFW
LOOK no further than one of the Pit’s sponsors
https://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tack ... e-Wire-3-1 :wink:
Would the Drennan E-Sox large slim crimps 1.10mm 28-40lb work also if I cannot get the PikePro ones??
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

As long as you can get the wire to go through 3 times with a snug fit you will be fine.
Go through once attach the hook, pass through again pulling wire to leave hook on an open loop, then pass back through with a tight loop before crimping.
If you know how thick the wire is x it by two then go for the next crimp size up :thumbs:

Sorry can’t be more specific, I originally used carboflex, before finding AFW, Pike IMO are not put off by wire and AFW lasts for whole season,
Mainly cause I blank alot :suspect: :laughs:
Andy Carpenter