Mobile Approach

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Mobile Approach

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Ok so went out today for a few hours in the afternoon, lovely bright sunny day but with a chilly breeze. Aim was to try out a more mobile approach after reading a few things on here.
So armed with my lure rod, and another rod rigged up with float and sprat dead bait I set off.
The tactic I was trying to use was a dead bait in the margins, close to the the peg then a lure drawn back to the area, fan cast each spot for 15-20mins then move on if nothing transpires.
The session ended with 3 jacks caught, best going about 2lb, all to the lure. No interest in the bait ?!?
One thing the session highlighted was my total inexperience with float fishing for pike :confused:
All I’ve done previously is lure and ledger.
I don’t think there was anything wrong with my set up, trace with trebles (although I am experimenting with single circles too), tied to braid, rubber bead, 15g bullet lead, rubber bead, slider float, rubber bead, stop knot.
I had this set at a constant 3ft depth and just allowed it to drift or if it tripped bottom and held, I’d leave it?!?

Getting to my point, how deep do you guys fish your dead bait from the float ??? Is it a personal preference/location/time of year thing ???
Do you plumb the depth of every spot and set it to lay flat on the bottom, or slightly above bottom to drift along ???

Any help an info appreciated
:thanks:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Mobile Approach

Post by Mike J »

If your water was 3ft deep and you were trying to draw a fish close enough to pick up your deadbait didnt you ever think an approaching pike might see you before it found the deadbait?
Just because you cannot see the Pike do not ever think they cannot see you.
Your time will come when your watching a bait laying on the bottom only to see it dissapear but you will not see the pike that has siddled up and snaffled it.

Tips; don't cast too often or at regular times, in ten mins 10-12 casts is enough, have your bait midwater aleast 15yards from the bank and clear of the marginal shelf, use a long slim float and lay it on the surface and forget the bullet, just let the bait do what it wants,
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Oct 01 2018 20:52 -
Ok so went out today for a few hours in the afternoon, lovely bright sunny day but with a chilly breeze. Aim was to try out a more mobile approach after reading a few things on here.
So armed with my lure rod, and another rod rigged up with float and sprat dead bait I set off.
The tactic I was trying to use was a dead bait in the margins, close to the the peg then a lure drawn back to the area, fan cast each spot for 15-20mins then move on if nothing transpires.
The session ended with 3 jacks caught, best going about 2lb, all to the lure. No interest in the bait ?!?
One thing the session highlighted was my total inexperience with float fishing for pike :confused:
I don’t think there was anything wrong with my set up, trace with trebles (although I am experimenting with single circles too), tied to braid, rubber bead, 15g bullet lead, rubber bead, slider float, rubber bead, stop knot.
I had this set at a constant 3ft depth and just allowed it to drift or if it tripped bottom and held, I’d leave it?!?

Getting to my point, how deep do you guys fish your dead bait from the float ??? Is it a personal preference/location/time of year thing ???
Do you plumb the depth of every spot and set it to lay flat on the bottom, or slightly above bottom to drift along ???

I almost exclusively fish for pike with a float these days, if I am bank fishing and flow/drift/current allow, I fish with an unloaded pencil float. Set over depth and with enough 3SSG shot to hold bottom, nipped on the trace about 1/3 down from the swivel.

I then c*ck the float against the lead so everything is tight to the reel. Don't normally bother with bank sticks, just lay the rod on the ground.

Bites will inevitably be bob,bob lift and lay flat, but some disappear. Unless it's a swift current, its almost impossible for the float to reset, so a pick up doesn't go unnoticed.

Generally the float isn't left in he same slot for more than a few minutes, lift the rod high and the float will lift the bait off the bottom, so you can twitch the bait back to you without dragging it through the bottom crap. My view is the more places I put a bait the more chance of it being seen by a pike.

Suspended deads and drifters, both set at 1/2 to 2/3rds depth can be devastating on the right day so always worth a go. Remember pikes eyes look up as well, so if they are laying on the bottom a suspended bait is easier to see.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Well I didn’t quite have the bait at my feet it was cast out a few rod lengths either side or even in some spots I cast to structure closer to the far bank (the river is quite narrow in places), it was more the presentation of the bait under the float I was unsure about, hard on the bottom or drifting or a bit of both ?!?

It terms of pike seeing us on the bank, every fish I’ve had from this river has been close in, 10-12ft casts with baits, and most lure takes have been at my feet. Is this unusual ???
Joe Birch
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Cheers Duncan, that all makes sense mate, appreciate the advice !
Joe Birch
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Oct 02 2018 11:17 -

I almost exclusively fish for pike with a float these days, if I am bank fishing and flow/drift/current allow, I fish with an unloaded pencil float. Set over depth and with enough 3SSG shot to hold bottom, nipped on the trace about 1/3 down from the swivel.

I then c*ck the float against the lead so everything is tight to the reel. Don't normally bother with bank sticks, just lay the rod on the ground.

Bites will inevitably be bob,bob lift and lay flat, but some disappear. Unless it's a swift current, its almost impossible for the float to reset, so a pick up doesn't go unnoticed.

Generally the float isn't left in he same slot for more than a few minutes, lift the rod high and the float will lift the bait off the bottom, so you can twitch the bait back to you without dragging it through the bottom crap. My view is the more places I put a bait the more chance of it being seen by a pike.

Suspended deads and drifters, both set at 1/2 to 2/3rds depth can be devastating on the right day so always worth a go. Remember pikes eyes look up as well, so if they are laying on the bottom a suspended bait is easier to see.
you been watching me!? lol pretty much exactly how i fish, unless its too windy for floats, floats 99% of the time
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Ratty46 wrote: Wed Oct 03 2018 15:41 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Oct 02 2018 11:17 -

you been watching me!? lol pretty much exactly how i fish, unless its too windy for floats, floats 99% of the time

:grin:

I have fished like that since a kid whenever conditions allow. I am sure the sensitive approach gives me more fish and it's a lot more enjoyable that slinging a 3-4 oz lead about.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Something about fishing one rod and float set up, my approach is much more mobile .. with full attention on how you fish features, on a quick turnaround