Converting from wire to titanium

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
TheTack4
Roach
Roach

Converting from wire to titanium

Post by TheTack4 »

Hi guys my local shops only stock drenan essox or pike pro wire both of which I have had spiralling or kinking with. Especially with jacks. So considering Titanium.
My rig set up is one treble with movable sleeve followers by a single that is not fixed i use pennel wraps over shank of book with a sleeve over.
Must you use split rings on trace?, Can I still employ my technique of pennel rigged single hook?
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Re: Converting from wire to titanium

Post by Esoxuk »

If you've been using a 7 strand wire, try a 49 strand such as this https://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/ ... -WIRE.html
It's more supple, kinks less and you can still fish your rig.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

TheTack4 wrote: Mon Jan 21 2019 23:55 -
Hi guys my local shops only stock drenan essox or pike pro wire both of which I have had spiralling or kinking with. Especially with jacks. So considering Titanium.
My rig set up is one treble with movable sleeve followers by a single that is not fixed i use pennel wraps over shank of book with a sleeve over.
Must you use split rings on trace?, Can I still employ my technique of pennel rigged single hook?
You may struggle with pennel style as ti wire has memory.

I messed about with all sorts of styles with titanium and settled on split rings, tracelets and a set of split ring pliers.

Tbh all.my deadbaits are a certain size and all.my livebait another certain size so I don't find I need to change the distance very often.

It's great stuff to use, just check the loops regularly as you can get an occasional broken strand for some reason.

I no longer carry lots of traces or trace making gear, my spare traces and hooks will fit in a 35mn film canister
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Yeah as Esoxuk mentioned, 49 strand is soooo much better than 7 strand, I’ve even managed to unkink a badly kinked leader (I was bored), it also knots lovely so no need for crimps. I use it for lures traces and my dead/live bait traces too, find the use of a sleeve or little bit of shrink wrap helps just to tidy traces up, especially if you twist after the knot like I do.
I’ve been using Savage Gear Raw49. I’d reccomend it :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”