paternoster rigs ?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Re: paternoster rigs ?

Post by Ratty46 »

Pikerd74 wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 18:57 -
Ratty46 wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 12:55 -
only thing i can add, is that i find with a pat rig, specially with a livebait, i like to use a 3oz lead min, i find they often hook themselves this way
I agree with you, I always used a lead as light as possible until I spent sometime fishing with a mate who used heavy leads, like you say 3oz plus. The take was unmissable and the hook placement consistently in the scissors,possibly hooked using the bolt effect.
definetly mate, i find exact same or they were often hooked in the roof of the mouth, good way to do it if they havent seen many pat rigs
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Ratty46 wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 11:34 -
Pikerd74 wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 18:57 -
Ratty46 wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 12:55 -
only thing i can add, is that i find with a pat rig, specially with a livebait, i like to use a 3oz lead min, i find they often hook themselves this way
I agree with you, I always used a lead as light as possible until I spent sometime fishing with a mate who used heavy leads, like you say 3oz plus. The take was unmissable and the hook placement consistently in the scissors,possibly hooked using the bolt effect.
definetly mate, i find exact same or they were often hooked in the roof of the mouth, good way to do it if they havent seen many pat rigs
Any rig that keeps the hooks away from the rakers has got to be a good thing for pike welfare :thumbs:
ianiac
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ianiac »

Greetings all,

new to the forum. i have just been asking many of the questions answered here in a FB group. i used an old John Wilson set-up for the sunken float where the float was on a paternoster and the trace was still on a run ring. i'll try to get a pic of it up later. My point was that i didn't understand how in the age of min resistance rigs for predators the SFP conformed to that as it's a fixed lead or did it work more like a bolt rig and just hook the fish when it moved off. brilliantly explained many times over here! hat tip to all!

for the record i'm Ian, from N.Ireland, fish all over Ireland, do many types but i consider myself a pike angler first and foremost.