Weather effecting pike catches.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Weather effecting pike catches.

Post by Robert Woods »

I'm not a new piker but have never taken what the weather is in my piking as just go when "allowed". Do pike feed after heavy rain as we get on East coast. What is better high or low pressure and like other day, what about clear sunny days after hard frost...? Am fishing a small shallow but gin clear gravel pit, max 10ft, using deadbaits.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Weather effecting pike catches.

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Robert Woods wrote: Tue Jan 21 2020 00:10 -
I'm not a new piker but have never taken what the weather is in my piking as just go when "allowed". Do pike feed after heavy rain as we get on East coast. What is better high or low pressure and like other day, what about clear sunny days after hard frost...? Am fishing a small shallow but gin clear gravel pit, max 10ft, using deadbaits.
I always feel more confident when we have some "weather". By that I normally mean low or dropping pressure, unsettled, windy, raining.

Unfortunately life doesn allow me to always go when the weather is "right", so I often have to make do. But unless I am in a mad keen mind set I tend do something else when conditions/forescast looks poor.

But as the high pressure thread shows, even on a day when most struggled as few had multiple captures and at least one 20 caught.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Duncan, I just go and enjoy chilling out feeding the local Robin. Going tomorrow to local club lake for a few hours as it's housework for me if I stay in...!!!
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Robert Woods wrote: Wed Jan 22 2020 00:04 -
Duncan, I just go and enjoy chilling out feeding the local Robin. Going tomorrow to local club lake for a few hours as it's housework for me if I stay in...!!!
Sure, I understand that completely 👍
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

On the shallow pits I've fished ,mild,windyish,overcast conditions are best and fish into the wind.
Cold winds seem to kill the shallow pits I've fished stone dead. For a long time I'd still fish pits in cold winds but now I'd give it a miss and fish a river instead where I think I'd have a bit more chance.
Pike often seemed more fickle on pits than any other waters to me and often only seem to feed when conditions are spot on.
In an ideal world it's good to have a few different types of waters to go at and maybe even switch species to suit the conditions to get the best out of your time.
It's very easy to get preoccupied with pike though!
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

What he said re pits....
Shallower the water the more fickle IMO.... I am never happy fishing shallow pits / broads in bright high pressure or rising pressure.
Love the hit!