Multiplier size for jerk bait fishing

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Steve.T
Stickleback
Stickleback

Multiplier size for jerk bait fishing

Post by Steve.T »

Hello,

I am looking for some advise on a Abu 7001c,
Is this to big for Jerk bait fishing as I have no experience with multiplier reels but have been offered one second hand.

Thanks in advance

Steve
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Re: Multiplier size for jerk bait fishing

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Too big, the 6501 is what your looking for
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Steve.T
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Steve.T »

Thanks Mark,

I guessed as much, but needed some advise.

Much appreciated,

Steve
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Post by norwich lad »

5501 is a little smaller if not throwing the top end larger jerks. i like mine for closer in (river fishing) otherwise a 6501 will cover all like mark advises.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

The 5601JB (jerkbait) or 5601SZ (Svartzonker) are made for the job.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I've heard of people using 7001's
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

7001`s are great for trolling ............
But the retrieve speed is too slow for jerkbaiting and I`d hate to be using it for that as its way too bulky and heavy !

Any of the decent brand 5000/6000 sizes are ideal for Jerkbaits ....
Along with the Shimano 201/301 Curados , and the Komodo 364 ..........
Steve.T
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Steve.T »

Hi All,

Many thanks for the advise much appreciated.
I will sit tight for the time being, as no body is going fishing anytime soon, and just wait for a second hand 6501c3.

Thanks

Steve
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Make sure it's made in Sweden. Not sure if there are any 6501-c3's that are built elsewhere (China) but other models which are tend to be poor quality.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Ooops, repeat post.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

5601 would still be a good choice. I've got both, 5601 for my lure rod 6501 for the bait rod. 5601 being more comfortable ime. You wouldn't be unhappy with either to be fair.

jonsykes wrote: Tue Mar 31 2020 22:16 -
Make sure it's made in Sweden. Not sure if there are any 6501-c3's that are built elsewhere (China) but other models which are tend to be poor quality.
6501S

Note the S. They are awful. I mean really f*****g awful.
hb904460
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by hb904460 »

A good read written by Mr Lumb

http://www.amb01.com/01rec.html
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

I have a couple of different size Ambassadeur and i find the 5600 size much more comfortable of a reel if you are going to be working a lure all day. The 6600 feels a bit too wide for my small hands.
Marvin Farrell
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

I agree, absolutely love my 5601sz as I also did my 5601jb.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have small hands and use a 6501 easily enough though I still prefer my 401's which are slightly larger (in diameter).

Angling would be so boring of we all fished the same vive la différence
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

6501C3 would be a good choice. The gearing is fast enough but not too fast, which will suit jerkbaiting. First thing to do is take off that pointless plastic thumb rest which just clips on, it just gets in the way. Without it you can ease the inside of your thumb joint onto the spool which is handy when casting hard as you can feel the line rising if there's any chance of an overrun, and brake the spool lightly. The 6501 size has a nice wide spool but is still a compact reel which can be easily cupped in your right hand for good grip, the 6601C4 would also do the job fine.
I also have a couple of Komodo 364's which IMO have far more progressive brakes than the Abus, but they're more expensive and might not fit in every budget.
Marcraft are for queers.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

BillCollins wrote: Sat Apr 04 2020 04:25 -
6501C3 would be a good choice. The gearing is fast enough but not too fast, which will suit jerkbaiting. First thing to do is take off that pointless plastic thumb rest which just clips on, it just gets in the way. Without it you can ease the inside of your thumb joint onto the spool which is handy when casting hard as you can feel the line rising if there's any chance of an overrun, and brake the spool lightly. The 6501 size has a nice wide spool but is still a compact reel which can be easily cupped in your right hand for good grip, the 6601C4 would also do the job fine.
I also have a couple of Komodo 364's which IMO have far more progressive brakes than the Abus, but they're more expensive and might not fit in every budget.

The line rising and thumb joint is an advanced technique, something Ive never read about before.

Took me years to realise what the guys around me were doing :red:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Mike J wrote: Sat Apr 04 2020 11:29 -

The line rising and thumb joint is an advanced technique, something Ive never read about before.

I think it's quite a common trick with Abu users Mike. The shape and style of the reel allows for using the inside of your thumb quite effectively. In fact I'd say a sizeable percentage of new C series Abu's have that plastic thumb rest picked off and thrown aside straight out of the box, before even being loaded with line for the first time.
Marcraft are for queers.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

I always keep my thumb bar in the lure box. I've got about 2 large lures that are hard work using for a long time and the thumb bar actually helps a little
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

BillCollins wrote: Sat Apr 04 2020 12:05 -
Mike J wrote: Sat Apr 04 2020 11:29 -

I think it's quite a common trick with Abu users Mike. The shape and style of the reel allows for using the inside of your thumb quite effectively. In fact I'd say a sizeable percentage of new C series Abu's have that plastic thumb rest picked off and thrown aside straight out of the box, before even being loaded with line for the first time.
I remember sending a couple to Charlie Bettell. First thing I found was that they were a hindrance and I was a total novice at lure casting. Still am really, never really took to it!
Steff23456
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Steff23456 »

I have recently just bought the abu 5601 sz edition reel it is fantastic casts just as far as the 6501 and is just as smooth as my okuma komodo
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

royboy wrote: Tue Mar 31 2020 11:57 -
7001`s are great for trolling ............
But the retrieve speed is too slow for jerkbaiting and I`d hate to be using it for that as its way too bulky and heavy !

Any of the decent brand 5000/6000 sizes are ideal for Jerkbaits ....
Along with the Shimano 201/301 Curados , and the Komodo 364 ..........
Roy the 7001 brings in 33” of line per turn, the 6501 27” per turn. I load them to the brim though.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Steve , for me , the gear ratio on the 7001 is too slow at 4.1:1 for working jerkbaits properly . Also its too bulky and heavy to have to hold all day .
Great for retrieving crankbaits though ....

I find the 6601`s and reels with a ratio of around 6.5:1 better suited to me for jerkbaiting .
That speed suits my rhythm better ....
Also the thumb bar on these reels doesn`t bother me at all !
Rgds , Pat
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Steff23456 wrote: Sat Apr 04 2020 16:12 -
I have recently just bought the abu 5601 sz edition reel it is fantastic casts just as far as the 6501 and is just as smooth as my okuma komodo
Lovely size too, they are cracking reels.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

royboy wrote: Sun Apr 05 2020 11:23 -
Steve , for me , the gear ratio on the 7001 is too slow at 4.1:1 for working jerkbaits properly . Also its too bulky and heavy to have to hold all day .

I find the 6601`s and reels with a ratio of around 6.5:1 better suited to me for jerkbaiting .
Rgds , Pat

I appreciate that Roy, bulky they certainly are. I personally love the gear ratio / line retrieve on the 6501’s, just add a power handle !
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Apr 05 2020 20:46 -
royboy wrote: Sun Apr 05 2020 11:23 -

Rgds , Pat

I appreciate that Roy, bulky they certainly are. I personally love the gear ratio / line retrieve on the 6501’s, just add a power handle !

Thats what I did, a bit of £6 chinese rubbish from Veals that I would soon need to rebuild if I was using it more often.

If you could only have one reel for pikeing for life the Swedish made 6501 would have to be it. Reliability, spares availability, upgrading, mechanically perfect, whats not to like?
mattiethomp
Roach
Roach

Post by mattiethomp »

Look on ebay for a 6501 I have 3 6500 I like to retrieve right handed, make sure to look on the pictures for the made in Sweden stamp I paid less than 30quid for my last one a couple of months ago :boing:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

A 6501-c4 went for £38 + post on ebay today too.