Spinning

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Adamd7514
Stickleback
Stickleback

Spinning

Post by Adamd7514 »

Hi everyone, I fished canals maggots and floats when I was 13-15 ish I'm now 30 and tuke up spinning on canals and rivers had few small pikes but mainly perch.

Now my question is mainly for advise, apart from canals and rivers can I go to lakes big ponds and spin like I do on canals ? I don't want to look a complete tool by turning up to a lake or big pond with all spinning gear and lures ? I just want a heads up before I go out buying day permits

Thanks in advance
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: Spinning

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Your best bet is to ring up and ask.
Most day ticket waters probably don’t allow lure fishing.
If you have any park lakes nearby they may allow it, or contact some of your local angling clubs and see if they do.
I’d stick with your rivers and canals, they may surprise you!
Good luck with it :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi and welcome :handshake:

As joe says, canals can surpise anyone.

Public access lakes often have manmade snags of dumped stolen items, unless well managed most lakes with trees around can give you megga fights with submerged tree branches.

Note; a lure angler can arouse extreeme suspicion in some locations.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Adamd7514
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Adamd7514 »

Thanks for advise guys it will be taken in , I have been doing alot reading and watching videos on YouTube as I am self teaching and was just curious to no . I need to go more river fishing because 97% of my catchs are small perch on canals. Im still trying new lures out, and im stuck in mind what size lure to use on canals feel like i never catch anything on bigger lures (e.g over 6cm) I sometimes think I have had a few bites but then Its just snag on weeds haha so always switch back to a smaller lure after an hour
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Being a better angler is not about utube or f*book anglers, its about asking yourself the right questions.

To begin - if all your getting in your canals is small Perch what does it tell you?
Did they fall from the sky, of course not, they were bred there so the question you ask is = where are their Mums and Dads!
Why are the small Perch in those locations and not the bigger fish? Now you know must be in there......somewhere!

No Pike - if everyone tells you they will be in there, but where are the apex predators you seek?
Think, think, think.....look at other apex predators, lions for instance, lots of food so plenty of time to rest and relax, but when they are hungry they go hunting, when everything is in their favour. :shrug:

Not for nothing are many of the better fish caught by the anglers who think. Be one.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Adamd7514 wrote: Sat Sep 05 2020 19:56 -
Thanks for advise guys it will be taken in , I have been doing alot reading and watching videos on YouTube as I am self teaching and was just curious to no . I need to go more river fishing because 97% of my catchs are small perch on canals. Im still trying new lures out, and im stuck in mind what size lure to use on canals feel like i never catch anything on bigger lures (e.g over 6cm) I sometimes think I have had a few bites but then Its just snag on weeds haha so always switch back to a smaller lure after an hour
What lures are you using? 6cm is still pretty small, even for perch. I'd advise sticking with some slightly bigger lures and keeping at it. I like using small lures, but it pays to switch it up during a session. A lot of my bigger perch on lures have been on good sized cranks or even jerk baits of 15cm plus - they do like a meal.
Piking Plonker
Milvuss
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Milvuss »

Get on the decent sized lures and jerks, like Mark suggests - above.
You won't look daft. A bigger lure should cast further, and on bigger waters, the features that hold the fish could be a wee bit further out than those you're used to hitting with a small spinner.
Before you buy your books and tickets, have a look at when the clubs consider the 'predator' season starts. Some specify October as being the first month when restrictions don't apply. Good luck.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

[/quote]

Especially if you are on the same water as me :laughs:
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

delboy wrote: Tue Sep 22 2020 15:43 -

Especially if you are on the same water as me :laughs:
[/quote]

:laughs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach