New starter

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
GolfDeltaTwelve
Stickleback
Stickleback

New starter

Post by GolfDeltaTwelve »

Afternoon all.
Picked up a rod and reel today, wanted something cheaper to see how much I like it, but ended up leaving with an abu venerate 7ft mh 45g casting rod and an abu blue max baitcaster.

Was thinking of 50lb braid? Picking up some wire traces and some leader and end tackle. Whats recomended?

Looking to learn to lure pike :)
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Re: New starter

Post by Lee7499 »

50lb braid by a descent manufacturer should be fine for that setup but best bet would be see if you can go a few times with someone who knows what to do and match the lure size and 18inch titanium traces to the setup .
Get yourself a mat ,long nose pliers and wire cutters before you even go on the first outing and a glove if you lack confidence in handling a Pike . Watch the River Piker videos on Youtube for some good lure and general Pike watercraft and handling advice.
Lots of guys on here have far more experience than myself and will be happy to help you with any advice you may require.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
GolfDeltaTwelve
Stickleback
Stickleback

Cheers pal- not shy on handling fish, but understand its a big change from what I'm used to, and requires a lot more finesse, have been looking at a net, already have a mat, unhooking bits and sea tackle and enjoy rig making.

Been watching loads of different channels on YouTube, going to get a bit of a selection of lures/ spinbaits/top baits.

Would be willing to go with someone to show me tips and what not, but not sure of anyone local to where I am (welsh valleys).
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Keep an eye on the for sale section for lures, think of the water as sectional, most will have a variety of lures to turn to, but the versatility in a lure is as much down to the individual using it.

I would have a selection to hand, usually defined to 12 lures for a roving session, if in a boat I would take a lot more, the task is more onerous if you are walking a section for miles as the weight becomes a drag, do not dismiss running a small roach or whatever through swims(Wobbling baits), an effective way to fish, but your rod will crucial, too stiff and it will break up the baits.

There are some well presented videos now on terminal tackle and making up, keep it simple though as some are product related and want you to buy whistles and bells ... when in reality you only needed the whistle!

Ask questions and someone will be only too willing to point you in the right direction, when you say sea tackle did mean terminal?
GolfDeltaTwelve
Stickleback
Stickleback

Yeah i usually fish tough ground along the Welsh West Coast during the summer, have had a variety from mackrel, weavers, conger and smoothhounds. I use a sl20/30 so can cast and control well.
I make my own traces, rigs so can tie a knot and have a selection of sea tackle, but have no idea in terms of lures as its something iv only done as a teen.

I would like to but my own wire and crimps and happy enough to do that.