If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Craigyw84
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Craigyw84 »

Looking to get some pike fishing done this week coming. Can anyone recommend anywhere in the central belt of Scotland? Also I need to change out lines, what do you guys recommend? Mono or braid, what breaking strain? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Newbie

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

Top right is a search box, you type your subject and sort through what follows.

Simples.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Cotswoldfisherman
Roach
Roach

Post by Cotswoldfisherman »

Not sure why you posted this here and not in tackle. Line for me is simple, braid. You can't go far wrong with powerpro though I prefer sufix 832 for lure fishing, 50lb for general and 80lb for jerkbaits. If your tackle is lighter then go for thinner line, but 50lb is already thin enough in my opinion.

I'm told that fishing in Scotland is a lot more lax than England, fortunately. I'm sure that you could do some research about some lochs and their fishing rules, I doubt that you'd get any trouble from the locals as they're more friendly than the people around here. I'm not sure if the rules around wild brown trout have changed, but when I lived their when I was a boy in the early 2000's you didn't need a license if you were fishing for wild browns and you could get away with fishing for other species just as long as you said that you were fishing for browns (with suitable tackle obviously).

On the bizarre chance of a bailiff coming up to you and asking if you've got a ticket or are a member of the water you're fishing and you didn't know, just hold your hands up, say you didn't know, leave, or if there is the facility to, buy a day ticket.
I fish.... Therefore I am.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Could a mod maybe move this post to the correct place so the chap might get some advice?
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Bob D
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bob D »

I'm central belt also, the forth and clyde canal is a good place to start, I light lure fish there often, was there yesterday and caught a few perch. There's some monster pike been pulled out the [redacted]. Also loads of decent sized carp, tench, Jack pike etc all along the water. You get your ticket for it by joining the sfca and paying the £8 fee for the year, well worth it if you ask me.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Bob D wrote: Fri Sep 18 2020 11:56 -
I'm central belt also, the forth and clyde canal is a good place to start, I light lure fish there often, was there yesterday and caught a few perch. There's some monster pike been pulled out the [redacted]. Also loads of decent sized carp, tench, Jack pike etc all along the water. You get your ticket for it by joining the sfca and paying the £8 fee for the year, well worth it if you ask me.
Hi bob we have a no naming water rule here. Generally we dont name specific areas as such so I've edited your post. Also... monsters from that part of the nolly are you sure ? Lol I fished it for years only ever connected with 2 20's and lost them. Total jack fest and a s***e hole with a load of gob shites fishing it when I was on it.
Bob D
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bob D »

Only going with what I'm hearing to be honest mate, I only light lure fish there so it's mainly Jack's for me. The canal has been redone recently and is actually turning out to be really nice, I wouldn't have even given a thought to fishing it back in the day lol.
Looks like the gob shites are still present though as I've been told some big figures just yesterday, suppose you gotta see it to believe it though ain't ya lol.
Also thank for the edit.