New Piker - basic equipment

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
loz
Stickleback
Stickleback

New Piker - basic equipment

Post by loz »

Hi All,

So new to pike fishing and preparing for a first session of lure fishing this weekend, on local private lakes in the Cotswold Water park.

Have got the nevessary equipment as advised to catch a pike and land it safelly if I can catch one!! Have bought a very large landing net, large forceps, landing mat etc. However, reading several articles online including from PAC it is recommended to buy "wirecutters" and "small bolt croppers".

I have no problem in getting this equipment and will certainly do so, but I have no understanding as a novice fishermen, when you would need to use either of the above. Are there any articles or videos that show or explain why and how to use them and under what circumstances?

Failing that, any information from personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Loz
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Re: New Piker - basic equipment

Post by Jason Skilton »

Small bolt cutter or side cutters are used to cut hooks out ;-)
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

have a look at the broadland pike vidoes on youtube , theres one on specifically unhooking i believe :)
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

suffolk si wrote: Wed Oct 07 2020 15:17 -
have a look at the broadland pike vidoes on youtube , theres one on specifically unhooking i believe :)
:thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
loz
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by loz »

Thanks for the responses, have looked at multiple videos on unhooking, landing etc.

It is the context I am unsure of regarding cutting hooks. Is it more likely that a hook would be cut when dead bait fishing or lure fishing? I am guessing that for a hook or hooks to be cut that the fish would need to have deeply swallowed the bait otting the hooks near the gills?

Just trying to cover as many bases as possible so that I am prepared for unexpected events.

Once again thanks for the replies.

Cheers
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

loz wrote: Wed Oct 07 2020 14:12 -
Hi All,

So new to pike fishing and preparing for a first session of lure fishing this weekend, on local private lakes in the Cotswold Water park.

Have got the nevessary equipment as advised to catch a pike and land it safelly if I can catch one!! Have bought a very large landing net, large forceps, landing mat etc. However, reading several articles online including from PAC it is recommended to buy "wirecutters" and "small bolt croppers".

I have no problem in getting this equipment and will certainly do so, but I have no understanding as a novice fishermen, when you would need to use either of the above. Are there any articles or videos that show or explain why and how to use them and under what circumstances?

Failing that, any information from personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Loz
Have you handled a pike before? If not the biggest difference you will face is teeth and these can be a bit daunting.

If you haven't then the best bit of advice that I can give is that you WILL get cut, spiked, nicked, grazed. But realise that 99.9999% of those will heal within a day or so.

A properly played pike should still be plenty lively when you get it in the edge, so expect it to be a bit of a handful.

Try to avoid the natural reaction to move your hands away from a lively pike. Doing that will result in more and worse cuts, scrapes, and more injury to the pike. Once you accept that pike fishing makes you bleed from time to time, trebles and teeth become less concerning.

Pack some stuff to clean and tape a minor wound, preferably in an outer pocket, you dont blood everything when you need it.

Not trying to put you off, but better to be prepared :wink:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
loz
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by loz »

Cheers Duncan, makes sense.
Justoutfishing
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Justoutfishing »

Hiya mate i have large forceps but i tend to use large long nose pliers as you can get a better grip on hooks. I also carry a smaller set of long nose pliers in my pocket so can unhook quickly
A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work
Reefhawg
Roach
Roach

Post by Reefhawg »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7XBbF4Cf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyxj8hpcy9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beq3LQLrRXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNv7Mm4Ge0

There are some videos above that might be worth watching as they show unhooking. The best thing to do really is arrange to go with someone experienced who can show you what to do, there really isn't any substitute for that. If you join the PAC you might find a member locally who is willing to take you out.
Dewclaw57
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Dewclaw57 »

Hope you never have to use them. If you do cut the treble at the bottom of the bend of the hook that is embedded, leaving enough metal to grip with the forceps/pliers
ecko
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ecko »

Just flatten the barbs makes everything much easier.
Unhooking pike, net, jacked, fingers..
Just keep a bend in the rod while playing, when the fish goes near the surface lower the rod tip, to prevent it jumping, when jumping dont keep a really tight Line.

Small pike, almost never are tired when you unhook them, if possible Just grab the hook with the long nose pliers and turn the hook, the fish stays in the water and the hooks and teeth Stay out of reach of your fingers.
I know what you're thinking, but being that this is a St Croix Big Dawg, the most powerful baitcaster in the world, and would instantly cross your eyes, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, pike?