Big River Fishing

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
JimboM
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Big River Fishing

Post by JimboM »

Hi all

I'm new to pike fishing and I'm after some advice on how to approach big river fishing.

I fish the Trent (I've seen the rules so will not be more specific) but the stretch I have access to is fairly featureless, at least on my side of the river.
I'm keen to try some lures and have a few shads and swim baits, so is it a question of slinging them in along the margins or am I likely to be wasting my time? Would dead baiting be a better option?

Normally go after barbel so have a couple of 2.75lb rods and also a Wychwood Agitator lure rod so hopefully should have something usable.

Thnaks

Jimi
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Big River Fishing

Post by suffolk si »

Best of both worlds.. livebaits👍
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've seen them caught on deadbaits and lures from that river. Had one or two myself. Even had one grab a lead when I was plumbing the depth - caught it on a jig after two casts. :grin:

But if you can use livebaits it's a no-brainer. :wink:
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Chuck some lures and find some fish first! Can cover allot of water in a day session. Look for slacks and eddies but don't use expensive lures till you find out what's going on, tackle losses can be high on rivers.

Bet there's some good fish in there tho!!

Luke
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
JimboM
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by JimboM »

Thanks for the feedback

One more question though, does time of day make much difference or do they tend to feed throughout the day?
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Hey Jimbo,

I reckon if you are moving about a bit, or trying different areas and swims you'll eventually happen across a pack of fish resting up and whether they are aggressively feeding or not, you'll be able to tempt a few takes.

Good luck mate!
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!