Wet winter

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Lee95
Stickleback
Stickleback

Wet winter

Post by Lee95 »

Just curious how a wet winter affects like fishing. Would higher than average water levels on a still water.
Does it improve catches or make it harder.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Wet winter

Post by Mike J »

I have managed a few waters where I altered the water levels for various reasons.
When it was lowered one deepish water didnt fish well at all, when I raised the level the fry bunched up on the shallows, the Pike followed and the fishing was exceptional, shallows elsewhere also produced some v large Roach.
Another that was shallower fished very well for Roach and Bream when the water was down but less so for the Pike, but when the level was raised the large Pike were harder to locate, almost spread around the whole place but so evenly it wasnt to difficult to guesstimate their locations

Out of choice I would always choose high water levels over low, providing the inflow wasnt winter runoff from salted roads.

Hope this helps.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Re: Wet winter

Post by JoeNickel »

I think there's a recent thread on fishing in the rain. IIRC, views were generally that it had no effect, or a negative effect, on piking.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed