New water

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

New water

Post by Noblest savage »

There’s a smallish oligotrophic reservoir that I know of that is rumoured to hold pike. It’s mostly very deep with steep sides all the way around. It has one small shallow bay with a stream running into it and a damn wall. It’s not really fished by anyone but I’ve had some nice trout out of it.
I also have my eye on a canalised stretch of river that people only say there’s trout in it but it looks pikey to me.
Any ideas of how to approach these places. I don’t actually know if they hold pike but I don’t see why not. Ps they’re north of the wall so live bait is not an option
Many thanks
Ben
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: New water

Post by Nige Johns »

God loves a tryer
ecko
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ecko »

Try imagining where they would position themselves to ambush prey or most likely come to take prey, according: season, wind, current, temperature, thermocline, fodderfish, time of day and then figure out how you can fish those spots at best. Mostly you look for complex structures, or everything out of the norm for that venu. start from there.
The shallow with the water running in, can provide with oxigen in summer, and warmer water in spring, spawnground if dark from colour, and can be a nice place to lie in the sun after a coldfront passed.(if not windswept) In summer when a thermocline exists this is a good structure to, many smal food items will float on the surface tension of the thermocline, where smal fish will feed on them, the foodchain in action.
I know what you're thinking, but being that this is a St Croix Big Dawg, the most powerful baitcaster in the world, and would instantly cross your eyes, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, pike?
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Thanks echo, that helps a lot.
Nige; I don’t understand?
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

ecko wrote: Tue Nov 24 2020 11:01 -
Try imagining where they would position themselves to ambush prey or most likely come to take prey, according: season, wind, current, temperature, thermocline, fodderfish, time of day and then figure out how you can fish those spots at best. Mostly you look for complex structures, or everything out of the norm for that venu. start from there.
The shallow with the water running in, can provide with oxigen in summer, and warmer water in spring, spawnground if dark from colour, and can be a nice place to lie in the sun after a coldfront passed.(if not windswept) In summer when a thermocline exists this is a good structure to, many smal food items will float on the surface tension of the thermocline, where smal fish will feed on them, the foodchain in action.
Good advice 👍I’d certainly be looking where that stream comes in back end of season👍Oxygenated water always worth a look
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Nige Johns wrote: Tue Nov 24 2020 09:40 -
God loves a tryer
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed