Trace wire

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Smithy75
Stickleback
Stickleback

Trace wire

Post by Smithy75 »

Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Trace wire

Post by John Milford »

Smithy75 wrote: Sat Feb 06 2021 11:44 -
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
The AFW (American Fishing Wire) ET sells is good stuff Smithy and his prices are pretty good too. Worth buying the correct size AFW crimps at the same time as they are excellent too. :thumbs:

(PS: By replying, it doesn't mean I regard myself as a pro piker! :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Not a Pro Piker either but agree about the AFW. Another way to help with kinking is to simply use a heavier gauge/breaking strain wire. Don't believe the pike mind at all.
Michael Bruton
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

40lb 49 strand AFW uncoated wire.Its not cheap but lasts a good few fish before it needs changing, strong and reliable.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

If you don’t want to change traces look into titanium traces Gadda baits make them if you don’t want to make your own. Personally I prefer the afw 7 strand it’s cheap and just change them when they kink. Have tried the 49strand and it doesn’t last any longer than the 7 strand I’ve found
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Cod
Perch
Perch

Post by Cod »

If you looking to upgrade your bait fishing traces, I would recommend 7 strand titanium.

( not a pro piker either face )
Learning is a gift.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I use Rio Wire Bite 30 lb tippet and haven't had it kink even thought I use it for fly fishing. You can also knot it quite easily.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Single strand afw 3 times through the crimp is bloody strong. If it slips the exta loop will hold it. I only use it for lure fishing tho (stingers, traces) it is at the more expensive end tho
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Smithy75
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Smithy75 »

Thank s gents for the reply s cheers
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 07 2021 22:42 -
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

Deadbaits I use et 49 strand. Very flexible, U can knotless knot the top treble and crimp the bottom and the swivel.

Livebaits I use Titanium 30lb that the tackle shop sell. Much stiffer. Crimp on split rings and change trebles when needed as the wire lasts a long time.

Uptraces = Titanium 60lb.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Steve C wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 10:48 -
hi pal
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.

After bench testing ti wire of various makes and breaking strains I would say I doubt you can impart enough pressure on 40lb ti wire to reach the stretch point with a compressed pike rod.

it isn't like elastic where it stretches in proportion to the force imparted on it. Ti wire has a point where it just weirdly goes ping and becomes longer retracting back as the force reduces with a similar pop back to the same initial length. All a bit odd but with normal pike fishing equipment you can not reach that force when compressing a standard rod.

I have used ti wire for probably 10 years in various forms and never had a crimp fail be it sea or pike fishing.
For me after testing... use double barrel 9mm long crimps, leave the ends flared, never use covers, use a cup to cup crimper and check them often just in case.

in the early days I found a couple of multistrand lure traces where strands broke on the loop made at the crimp but I had made the loop too tight.... rectifying this to bigger loops has not seen same occur. I used the same 3 bait traces for two winters and they where still passing the gate post pull test when retired. yes I was catching fish :o)

I would suggest any crimp failure is not the fault of the wire but more the crimping method or using the wrong crimps. Double barrel is the way to go IMO.
Love the hit!
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

ADAM-F wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 21:18 -
Deadbaits I use et 49 strand. Very flexible, U can knotless knot the top treble and crimp the bottom and the swivel.

Livebaits I use Titanium 30lb that the tackle shop sell. Much stiffer. Crimp on split rings and change trebles when needed as the wire lasts a long time.

Uptraces = Titanium 60lb.
49 strand - You can also knot the bottom hook with a figure 8 loop knot or the same knotless knot.
Fig 8 works for me on both ends.
Love the hit!
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 00:43 -
hi pal

After bench testing ti wire of various makes and breaking strains I would say I doubt you can impart enough pressure on 40lb ti wire to reach the stretch point with a compressed pike rod.

it isn't like elastic where it stretches in proportion to the force imparted on it. Ti wire has a point where it just weirdly goes ping and becomes longer retracting back as the force reduces with a similar pop back to the same initial length. All a bit odd but with normal pike fishing equipment you can not reach that force when compressing a standard rod.

I have used ti wire for probably 10 years in various forms and never had a crimp fail be it sea or pike fishing.
For me after testing... use double barrel 9mm long crimps, leave the ends flared, never use covers, use a cup to cup crimper and check them often just in case.

in the early days I found a couple of multistrand lure traces where strands broke on the loop made at the crimp but I had made the loop too tight.... rectifying this to bigger loops has not seen same occur. I used the same 3 bait traces for two winters and they where still passing the gate post pull test when retired. yes I was catching fish :o)

I would suggest any crimp failure is not the fault of the wire but more the crimping method or using the wrong crimps. Double barrel is the way to go IMO.
:thumbs:
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 00:43 -
hi pal

:thumbs:
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

Mike J wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 10:39 -
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Richard. wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 09:41 -

Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻

My pleasure, its good quality and you wont have any problems with it.
Maximising profit is why more bulk spools are not available in the UK, I believe ET one of our sponsors sells AFW in bulk spools.

When specimen angling really got started most good shops stocked spools of various strengths between 10lb and 30lb, small spools mostly Allcocks Alasticum single strand.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

Mike J wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 09:56 -

Maximising profit is why more bulk spools are not available in the UK, I believe ET one of our sponsors sells AFW in bulk spools.

When specimen angling really got started most good shops stocked spools of various strengths between 10lb and 30lb, small spools mostly Allcocks Alasticum single strand.

Just made up a few traces with the new masons wire. Very nice wire to work with particularly the lower treble which I tie on. The wire is more supple than the drennan stuff I usually buy making it far neater as my raps stay very tight round the shank. Twists really nicely. I’ll be sticking with it. Let’s see how it fairs after a few teeth have been chewing on it.
A9333242-C6BC-40C1-ABA7-811C736A237A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Richard. wrote: Sat Feb 27 2021 23:42 -
Mike J wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 09:56 -

Just made up a few traces with the new masons wire. Very nice wire to work with particularly the lower treble which I tie on. The wire is more supple than the drennan stuff I usually buy making it far neater as my raps stay very tight round the shank. Twists really nicely. I’ll be sticking with it. Let’s see how it fairs after a few teeth have been chewing on it. A9333242-C6BC-40C1-ABA7-811C736A237A.jpeg

You will have no problems with it Richard.
I can see from your pic you know what your doing :grin:
My top hooks are singles, to stop the wire from slipping I add heat shrink, it grips well with just five turns.

All we need now is the fishing.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Word to the wise... do not add heat shrink to traces made from stranded stainless wire - water gets inside and will rust the wire as the trace is stored - then it snaps under pressure next time you catch a fish on it.
Piking Plonker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Mar 19 2021 11:41 -
Word to the wise... do not add heat shrink to traces made from stranded stainless wire - water gets inside and will rust the wire as the trace is stored - then it snaps under pressure next time you catch a fish on it.

Agreed Mark.
That is why I would only advise the use of glue lined heat shrink.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Thanks Mike, you should have said :thumbs: I've tried adhesive lined shrink tube (carp rigs) and the issue I had was when I want to removed it, it doesn't shift, so have to bin the swivel it's attached to. I did consider it for traces, to tidy things up, but again, I'd be binning hooks instead of re-using them. Just me being tight I guess :red:
Piking Plonker
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I actually bought some 200lb coated stainless from local shop cheap- 70p including crimps...such a bargain a bought two.
I used it strung just above the garden fence to keep the pigeons off....less than a year it is showing rust inside the coating.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

JohnCopeman wrote: Sun Apr 04 2021 10:37 -
I actually bought some 200lb coated stainless from local shop cheap- 70p including crimps...such a bargain a bought two.
I used it strung just above the garden fence to keep the pigeons off....less than a year it is showing rust inside the coating.

Should have used old braid, its what I used, initially to stop a cat jumping the fence what a shock when the cat it didnt see it before it bounced it back where it came from :grin:
The birds soon wised up, the pigeons sat on the post caps, the spadges learnt to keep their heads low.

Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

Just to revive this thread……. Since Mike kindly put me onto the masons bulk spools in 45lb, I certainly have no intentions of looking back.
It’s an excellent wire and for 7 strand it’s more supple than anything else I’ve used before.
It is not kink resistant in the slightest but what it is, is very kink removable. A couple of jacks will soon see it completely deformed but afew seconds work with your fingers will also soon see it straightened back out so multiple captures on a single trace are not a problem at all.
It twists so neat and the amount of force required to obtain permanent deformation is much lower than more rigid springy wires meaning that twists and raps are not under as much tension and far less likely to unravel.
I’ve put it under some immense stress tests in various knots and joints with my big vices and it absolutely passes with flying colours under tension to the point where all sound joints are several times stronger than the biggest chunkiest hooks I possess.

The only negative I have with it is availability. 1 uk supplier and often not in stock in the bs I want. I’ve still got most of a spool left but I’ll order another as soon as it’s back in to ensure I don’t run out.