Rigs? When and why?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Rigs? When and why?

Post by Noblest savage »

Hi All

I’m just starting my first ever deadbait campaign on my local canal. It’s narrow and uniformly 4feet deep. There are no locks so the fish are highly nomadic.

So far I’ve had some success on a running ledger with a popped up bait to keep it out of all the rubbish on the bottom.

When should a ledger vs float ledger vs normal float set up be used? Or what rig, when and why?
Ps live bait is not allowed.

Thanks in advance
Ben
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Rigs? When and why?

Post by Mike J »

Noblest savage wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 08:19 -
Hi All

I’m just starting my first ever deadbait campaign on my local canal. It’s narrow and uniformly 4feet deep. There are no locks so the fish are highly nomadic.

So far I’ve had some success on a running ledger with a popped up bait to keep it out of all the rubbish on the bottom.

When should a ledger vs float ledger vs normal float set up be used? Or what rig, when and why?
Ps live bait is not allowed.

Thanks in advance
Ben

Before you plan your winter please ensure your gear is sufficiently strong so when you get snagged you are able to bend your hooks out eg; I fish snaggy rivers and use 60lb braid.
Although you haven't contacted any yet most canals hold a few very big fish eg; a PP member had 2x20's in one day last year and I know of atleast one 30.
Rigs, well this is what I would do.
If there was little or no flow I wouldn't use a lead, just a light float and some SSG shot below the top swivel to lay the trace down. If using one rod use a sliding float rig with the bait head down at 2/3 depth, cast into the boat channel and allowed to drift onto the near bank slope, with a second rod fish I would fish it tight against my bank about 1ft out and 20ft to one side. If I have to use a weight its a stone or old steel nut on 4-6lb mono.
Beware there are some very big eels in canals.

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

I love fishing to floats and a small shallow canal is the ideal place.
I'd be tempted to float ledger (with an uptrace) a bottom attached pencil float fished around 2' over depth and the line tensioned enough just to c*ck it with an open spool and a swinging arm to maintain tension on the line.
A large bore run ring on the uptrace with a 4" nylon weak link (6lb or so) to the lead or even a ledger stem will help keep your line off the bottom if there lots of debris / rubbish there.
Instead of making big casts walk from your fishing position swing the bait to where you want it, go back to your fishing position with the rod high and the line out of the water before finally cocking the float.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

i would leger where possible, i've had fish shy away from floats on shallow clear venues, even with lives..leger it..instant take almost.
even with deads i'd leger, possibly float fish a bait set shallow ( 3ft) if i thought it may be better, ie high pressure day
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Ratty46 wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 12:16 -
i would leger where possible, i've had fish shy away from floats on shallow clear venues, even with lives..leger it..instant take almost.
even with deads i'd leger, possibly float fish a bait set shallow ( 3ft) if i thought it may be better, ie high pressure day
To be honest I suspected floats might spook them on my venue. The limited success I’ve had so far has been on ledgered baits. Don’t seem to get a touch on float, it might
be that I need to persevere a bit more though?

Ben
Last edited by Noblest savage on Fri Oct 01 2021 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Many thanks for the replies folks

Ben