Up trace confusion.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Mike G
Stickleback
Stickleback

Up trace confusion.

Post by Mike G »

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to pike angling and can't seem to quite get my head around a couple of things. Here's hoping you can set me on the straight and narrow...
I guess the first confusion I run into is related to uptraces - the need for which I TOTALLY get - but I don't understand how to use them with a float rig (do you have the float on the trace or above it) and if the float is above the trace what happens when you fish shallow water (eg less than 3 feet) - as I typically end up doing on my local canal? as the hooklink trace is almost the depth of the water itself.

Do you put weights (eg quick change weights by a well known manufacturer) on the uptrace was well?

Sorry, basic stuff but I'm confused.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Mike
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Up trace confusion.

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

If its shallow the old style gazette type floats come into their own as you can clip it on the up trace or line and take it off as required.

I simply put a paperclip on the top eye of the swivel between the trace and up trace then slide a bomb onto it. Fine on short casts when on an canal. I dont think you need to buy the expensive quick change weights myself. Been there done that, lost loads of the Greys Prowla ones which kept falling off.

Static deads the weight will sit on the bottom so a 15 inch trace will be on the bottom with the weight and an uptrace a few inches longer leading up to the float on the surface.. the float will be on the main line in the normal way.
Roving lives or trotting deads down the flow if there is any...in shallow water... as above I use a gazette style float i can put on the up trace if required or above if i move to deeper water. Very easy.
Kodex make the gazette type floats which although deemed to be "old style - old hat" come in handy IMO.
Love the hit!
Mike G
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mike G »

Thanks Kevin, Much appreciated. I'll give this a go when I'm next out.

Mike
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i use an extra long trace when float fishing maybe 3ft in length cant remember ever been bitten off...
but i do use an up trace when using a paternoster type set up or a dyson rig type of rig ....... especially when live-baiting
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I do a lot of canal Piking and the depth is rarely over 4-5ft, I just use a simple float rig set a bit overdepth or suspended deads near structure, done this for years and never needed an uptrace, like stubbojo I do use an uptrace with a dyson or paternoster rig. When float fishing lives on canal I just use a free roaming rig with a longish trace of 24" or so. Works well for me and I've never had any sort of problems doing it this way :shrug:
Mmmmmmmm yes