Hook size for soft lures?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Bugner
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hook size for soft lures?

Post by Bugner »

Is there a guide on what size hooks for what size lures. I always see information about jig head weight, but not the size of the hook. Having not lure fished much, lures I have seen seem to have massive oversized hooks, where as if I were fishing lobworm or maggots, I wouldn't have hooks anywhere near the size that seem to be the norm? TIA
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: Hook size for soft lures?

Post by Flipflopjoe »

If you rig them up on a release system you can use smaller hooks.
I haven’t got any trebles over a #4 on my lures with release system, no problems with hook ups.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Bugner wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 17:42 -
Is there a guide on what size hooks for what size lures. I always see information about jig head weight, but not the size of the hook. Having not lure fished much, lures I have seen seem to have massive oversized hooks, where as if I were fishing lobworm or maggots, I wouldn't have hooks anywhere near the size that seem to be the norm? TIA
Shads of about 7cm ......close to 3 inches take a 1/0 hook

Shads under size 1, 2

I don't tend to fish with plastic shads bigger than this
Bugner
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bugner »

Thanks for the responses. A lot of the soft lures I have at the moment are 7-10cm so a size 1/0 if using a single hook and smaller size 4 treble is using a stinger like setup.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Bugner wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 14:36 -
Thanks for the responses. A lot of the soft lures I have at the moment are 7-10cm so a size 1/0 if using a single hook and smaller size 4 treble is using a stinger like setup.
I’d go smaller than #4 with those size lures, I’m using #4’s on 7-9 inch shads !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Bugner
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bugner »

OK Thanks. Need to get my head around hook sizes as the trebles I see on pre-rigged lures always look huge!