Forceps or Pliers?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Bugner
Stickleback
Stickleback

Forceps or Pliers?

Post by Bugner »

Some advice please. Have purchased some long forceps for unhooking (hopefully to be caught soon Pike) yet a lot of video's I have watched it seems Pliers are used?
I presume pliers provide a better grip? so should I be investing in a pair of long nosed pliers as well? I have also seen the pistol grip pliers. What in your expereince is the best tool for the job and also what will be the easiest for a junior to use (under supervision of course) TIA
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Forceps or Pliers?

Post by Andrew »

Forceps are a little flimsy trying to get a solid hold on a difficult hook. They have their use but not the pair I'd grab first. Solid long nose pliers should be the first tool of choice.

Those trigger type pliers are also good but give seen cheapo ones slightly warp/twist when trying to get a difficult hook, probably a cheap soft sheet metal used.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I grind the ends off my forceps so the jaws are only about an inch long, plenty of grip.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 17:42 -
I grind the ends off my forceps so the jaws are only about an inch long, plenty of grip.
Man its so obvious now 😳 will be trying that
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

I personally don’t like pliers, though can see their advantage for big hooks on lures. I use this style of forceps, but longer, that have a short pair of jaws like Bob up there said

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surgical-Nee ... 635-2958-0
Actually know as Danny..
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Andrew Croft wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 17:50 -
Bob Watson wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 17:42 -
Man its so obvious now 😳 will be trying that
Reduce the profile while your at it too Croftus, when you grind them back the jaws get fatter!
dolph
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dolph »

Fish on.... wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 18:29 -
I personally don’t like pliers, though can see their advantage for big hooks on lures. I use this style of forceps, but longer, that have a short pair of jaws like Bob up there said

I think needle holder forceps have a shorter nose than normal artery forceps. I bought some of these after a recommendation from someone on this forum, haven`t used them yet but they look the part
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231658793490 ... 0885200301
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

dolph wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 20:44 -

I think needle holder forceps have a shorter nose than normal artery forceps. I bought some of these after a recommendation from someone on this forum, haven`t used them yet but they look the part
I put this post on the good reviews section because I could never remember the name of them!

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=37050&p=556251&hil ... ar#p556251
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’ve got both, 12” bent nose forceps and long reach needle nose pliers, they’ve both come in handy on different occasions !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I use both, depending on where the hook is. The deeper the hook the longer the forceps, but the longer ones are more flimsy so I now use pistol grip ones. Pliers for hook holds that are much firmer than normal!

Best always to carry more than one pair of whatever you use, especially on a boat, as its a real bummer when they fall overboard or are lost! :laughs:
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Going in through the gills... forceps are nicer.
I carry both.
Love the hit!
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Usually a pliers but I used to have a short 6inch forceps on my jacket on a retractable cord too. Was very handy and despite it's small size was enough for most fish. Not sure where it's gone, I must invest in a new one.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Take every kind you can, some work better in certain situations, some will only be called upon once in a while but better to have them at hand when you need them.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Paddy_R wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 21:45 -
Usually a pliers but I used to have a short 6inch forceps on my jacket on a retractable cord too. Was very handy and despite it's small size was enough for most fish. Not sure where it's gone, I must invest in a new one.
I think there was a cautionary tale of punctured lung with those chords on here :scratch:
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Pliers for lures, short nose needle holders for bait fishing
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Bugner
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bugner »

Thanks for all the responses. I will get some Pliers and then will have both.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

You also want some side cutters, so you can cut a hook in an emergency (eg. I cut off the end of a big lure hook from a tiny jack today - there wasn't room to manoeuvre it back out). Or if you get a hook in you, with a pike still attached - snip the hook and you have two small problems, not one awful thrashing problem.

Something like this: https://sp8tium.co.uk/products/knipex-7 ... ters-160mm
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

dolph wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 20:44 -

I found them too bendy Dolph.have a look for the Caimore ones.so good I bought 3 pairs
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

The easy answer is take both and your covered. The front compartment of my rucksack may look like a surgeons tool kit but i can deal with any situation.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

JoeNickel wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 22:01 -
You also want some side cutters, so you can cut a hook in an emergency (eg. I cut off the end of a big lure hook from a tiny jack today - there wasn't room to manoeuvre it back out). Or if you get a hook in you, with a pike still attached - snip the hook and you have two small problems, not one awful thrashing problem.

Word of warning when snipping hooks, close your eyes at the moment you snip.Had a hook point hit me in the face drawing blood before,would have been nasty in the eye.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mattjb wrote: Sat Oct 23 2021 15:10 -
JoeNickel wrote: Fri Oct 15 2021 22:01 -

Word of warning when snipping hooks, close your eyes at the moment you snip.Had a hook point hit me in the face drawing blood before,would have been nasty in the eye.
yup, when ever i snip a hook before the cut, i always say "look away", me and my piking PIC know what it means and what either of us is doing- tho i do most of the unhooking as im quick

pliers 99% of the time, and always with lures ( tho i do carry forceps just in case i lose either )
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

My tool kit comprises of cutters, long nose pliers and pistol grip pliers (all 3 Fox brand) and a pair of forceps. All tools get used at some point over a season and I wouldn’t even start fishing without all 4 in the bag.
Pistol grips are used mainly, they keep your operating hand offset so you can see what you are doing in the pikes mouth better. Long nosed for deeper hooks where pistol grips can’t reach. The cutters (long nosed) are used for difficult hookups and I won’t think twice about sacrificing a hook. The forceps are used to clamp on the hook point when using the cutters, the cut off portion of the hook being retained by the forceps where possible, this avoids a hook point pinging off and sticking in your face or left in the pikes mouth. They are also much narrower for going in through the gills (as already said by another poster)
These 4 tools have been settled on over years and at the point where I don’t need or want anything else or anything less 👍
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I always have 3 or 4 sets of forceps with me, a good pair of cutters and some long nosed pliers which don't get used too often.

Don't know if its because I've got huge hands but I find the slimmer design of forceps a bit easier to maneuver than the thicker, heavier pliers especially when working around the gills, and they're much better for awkwardly hooked jacks IMO. Both tools have their uses though.
Mmmmmmmm yes
m00minpapa
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by m00minpapa »

I try to be prepared for every eventuality, so my toolkit looks like this:
4BDC8589-6A2D-4D34-BC58-1CA1F84DFBE2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hart, but call me Rich
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

m00minpapa wrote: Sun Oct 30 2022 16:36 -
I try to be prepared for every eventuality, so my toolkit looks like this:4BDC8589-6A2D-4D34-BC58-1CA1F84DFBE2.jpeg
Knipex the best a man can get !!
m00minpapa
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by m00minpapa »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Oct 30 2022 19:25 -
I try to be prepared for every eventuality, so my toolkit looks like this:4BDC8589-6A2D-4D34-BC58-1CA1F84DFBE2.jpeg
Knipex the best a man can get !!
They’re really well built! I can see them outlasting me 😊
Richard Hart, but call me Rich
wilkie
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by wilkie »

Be careful when using forceps, a mate of mine had his thumb and forefinger through the handle rings ready to unhook a pike, as soon as he clipped the forceps onto the hook the pike managed to roll and twisted the forceps around his fingers. He ended up in A&E but was lucky he didn't break his finger. He still uses forceps but has cut the ring and streatened the handles out. Still easy to clip onto a hook but a bugger to release.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

wilkie wrote: Sun Oct 30 2022 20:29 -
Be careful when using forceps, a mate of mine had his thumb and forefinger through the handle rings ready to unhook a pike, as soon as he clipped the forceps onto the hook the pike managed to roll and twisted the forceps around his fingers. He ended up in A&E but was lucky he didn't break his finger. He still uses forceps but has cut the ring and streatened the handles out. Still easy to clip onto a hook but a bugger to release.
nasty that .... :eek:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Knipex ❤️

I’m a big fan of their bent nose pliers, I like the leverage they provide.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

I still have a forceps in my gear somewhere (I think), but have'nt used it for years. I have 2 pair of pliers, the Fox long ones and a shorter pair, they're mostly used to unhook lures. Using single hooks for baits, I can unhook fish by hand 95% of the time.
Marcraft are for queers.