Giving up on the circle hooks

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Giving up on the circle hooks

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 12:29 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 00:01 -
trebles get swallowed......, thats only if you leave it too long , think i got it right first time me thinks , to me there no need to leave circles longer, the longer you leave it the more chance of deep hooking ,been fishing with trebles over 40 odd years and only had one incident as regards to deep hooking ....
that incident was on a canal leapfrogging about every 30 yards my fault really as i dropped the float rig in the water ,and went back to fetch my other rod , literally seconds but the pike had taken it straight away , but still managed to get the hooks out , i suppose its about confidence in your set up used correctly works fine , my fish are normally caught in the front of the jaw , and as of late only one hook involved .........any body not confident in using treable should use singles , cant see a problem in that
some people really do struggle unhooking pike and are not confident doing so .....
and as we get older steve are fingers get a bit narly and stiff mine included so it can get harder to unhook fish so single hooks are the best option .....

regards stubbo
Sometimes you don't get to make the decision unfortunately. On a couple of occasions I had the bottom treble out of sight having reeled in to recast, with no indication received at all.

I can remove deep trebles as well as anyone else, but I can't imagine that it does the fish any favours even if the hook(s) are successfully removed. That said, I have had recaptures of such fish :smile:
think your right steve inverting a pikes stomach is not a natural thing , but if hooks are swallowed theirs no other option ....
and the myth that the hooks desolve....... is as we all no is b******s
do a lot of float fishing close in the margins , with quite a large float and i dont have a problem with indications , normally starts with a few circles trembling off the float , then its away or moves off slow , by that time i am well into it , like i said only had one deep hooking in my life time , and that was just in the throat areas and was removed sharpish...
stick with them steve if they suit you .......
regards stubbo :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 19:13 -
trebles get swallowed......, thats only if you leave it too long , think i got it right first time me thinks , to me there no need to leave circles longer, the longer you leave it the more chance of deep hooking ,been fishing with trebles over 40 odd years and only had one incident as regards to deep hooking ....
that incident was on a canal leapfrogging about every 30 yards my fault really as i dropped the float rig in the water ,and went back to fetch my other rod , literally seconds but the pike had taken it straight away , but still managed to get the hooks out , i suppose its about confidence in your set up used correctly works fine , my fish are normally caught in the front of the jaw , and as of late only one hook involved .........any body not confident in using treable should use singles , cant see a problem in that
some people really do struggle unhooking pike and are not confident doing so .....
and as we get older steve are fingers get a bit narly and stiff mine included so it can get harder to unhook fish so single hooks are the best option .....

regards stubbo
Sometimes you don't get to make the decision unfortunately. On a couple of occasions I had the bottom treble out of sight having reeled in to recast, with no indication received at all.

I can remove deep trebles as well as anyone else, but I can't imagine that it does the fish any favours even if the hook(s) are successfully removed. That said, I have had recaptures of such fish :smile:
think your right steve inverting a pikes stomach is not a natural thing , but if hooks are swallowed theirs no other option ....
do a lot of float fishing close in the margins , with quite a large float and i dont have a problem with indications , normally starts with a few circles trembling off the float , then its away or moves off slow , by that time i am well into it , like i said only had one deep hooking in my life time , and that was just in the throat areas and was removed sharpish...

"the myth that the hooks desolve....... is as we all no is b******s "

Sorry but that statement is incorrect, hooks do disolve/corrode away, the acids in stomach see to that.
The time required I do not know but I have drawn trace wire from fishes stomach and the only thing on the end has been the hook eye. However if the hook is in the mouth or throat they do not corrode which is why a lure well in a fishes mouth can stay there until the fish dies.
Interestingly trace wires do not corrode wherever they are.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

I love circle hooks but They only really work for me on trotted baits suspended under a float off the bottom. I’ve tried them with ledgered static baits and find I miss as many as I land and that’s actually being optimistic.
My theory behind why this might be is the difference is the take.

On my trotted baits they absolutely slam the float away as it’s sailing past them much like they’d take a swimming fish and the hook is taken straight in. I can wind into them straight away and hook and land every single one.
Static baits the take is much less aggressive because their meal isn’t wondering away and often they pick up with caution. I’m not convinced the hook is even in her mouth when I wind down half the time where as with a pair of exposed trebles there is nearly always a hook in its mouth so early strikes often connect.

If I left a static bait run to develop further I’m sure I’d hit more using circles but I’m more comfortable hitting them fast and using trebles.
So they definitely play a big part in my fishing but only for trotted baits under a float.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Richard. wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 18:27 -
I love circle hooks but They only really work for me on trotted baits suspended under a float off the bottom. I’ve tried them with ledgered static baits and find I miss as many as I land and that’s actually being optimistic.

On my trotted baits they absolutely slam the float away as it’s sailing past them much like they’d take a swimming fish and the hook is taken straight in. I can wind into them straight away and hook and land every single one.
Static baits the take is much less aggressive because their meal isn’t wondering away and often they pick up with caution. I’m not convinced the hook is even in her mouth when I wind down half the time where as with a pair of exposed trebles there is nearly always a hook in its mouth so early strikes often connect.

If I left a static bait run to develop further I’m sure I’d hit more using circles but I’m more comfortable hitting them fast and using trebles.
So they definitely play a big part in my fishing but only for trotted baits under a float.
As someone said earlier, if you treat circles as you would trebles, you will end up using trebles again, but its what you feel comfortable with and get your methods to suit you! :thumbs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:40 -

As someone said earlier, if you treat circles as you would trebles, you will end up using trebles again, but its what you feel comfortable with and get your methods to suit you! :thumbs:

Cheers, Alan
They work fabulous for me on the suspended baits. Maybe I just need to give them a little longer on the statics?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Richard. wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:42 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:40 -

Cheers, Alan
They work fabulous for me on the suspended baits. Maybe I just need to give them a little longer on the statics?
I defo think modest sized baits are an advantage, 4-5 inches of a cut sardine for example with the hook on a short hair so it can turn easily and is unimpeded. A noose round the tail is the bets way of keeping a sardine on, sometimes for more than one fish so is very thrifty :lumby:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 20:12 -

regards stubbo

Sorry but that statement is incorrect, hooks do disolve/corrode away, the acids in stomach see to that.
The time required I do not know but I have drawn trace wire from fishes stomach and the only thing on the end has been the hook eye. However if the hook is in the mouth or throat they do not corrode which is why a lure well in a fishes mouth can stay there until the fish dies.

found a few dead fish over the years , and when i could i would check them out , found a few with trebles inside them with no sign of corrosion .mike
i dont think my do corrode maybe the older hooks used to , but not seen any evidence to prove otherwise...
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

sounds spot on richard , you explained it brilliantly about the early strike on trebles....... theres no need to let it go any longer :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Richard. wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:42 -

I suspect so. There's a bit of a learning curve, but essentially:

1) Use small baits on a short "hair" attached to the bend of the hook.

2) Don't wind down too soon

3) Don't strike, just point the rod at the fish and wind quickly until you can't turn the handle anymore, then bend into the fish.

The hook-up percentage is very good and the unhooking is even better. Most of them don't even need pliers if you use barbless circles.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

back end of the season i tried on one rod fixed leads as used by dave lumb in his blog .....and was very surprised to have fish on the first session on them , we are learning all the time even if you have been fishing 40 years ...... and are willing to try anything as long it is safe to the fish ....it very important to have rig /system hyper sensitive to your rods heaver leads make a big difference and not fishing out to far , this coming season i will be fishing one pike rod fixed lead and will compare to the normal free running rig....
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 21:59 -
Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 09 2021 20:12 -

regards stubbo

found a few dead fish over the years , and when i could i would check them out , found a few with trebles inside them with no sign of corrosion .mike
i dont think my do corrode maybe the older hooks used to , but not seen any evidence to prove otherwise...
Hooks will break down if subjected to gastric fluids, but there's some debate over how long that process can take - but it could be months, maybe years, who knows... but it ain't weeks that's for sure and the hook would have to be well down inside the gut. Anyone deliberately leaving deep seated trebles in a pike, on the basis that hooks will dissolve away, they need their a**e kicking. I've heard it many times over, 'oh just cut the trace, the hooks will dissolve...' No excuse for it, you go through the gillraker, turn the hook and out it comes. If the hook is deep, you can gently pull the gut out a little, remove the hook and then it will retract. Most of of you chaps know the drill, but many noddy pikers don't. So, if you see someone struggling, go over and show them how to do it. I am yet to be told to bugger off, just wish these guys would learn the basics before deciding to pike fish.
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

most traces i have found in dead pike are way to short in length too .