new to the pike scene

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
martinl2022
Stickleback
Stickleback

new to the pike scene

Post by martinl2022 »

good day all

This winter i really fancy getting into abit of spinning for small pike and perch maybe, the thing im struggling to decide on is a rod, the only place i will be spinning is
the canal, im just struggling to decide which rod will be sufficent for me to fish for these pike in the canal, are links or feedback from rods you use on the canal would be much
appreciated

thanks
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: new to the pike scene

Post by Taffypiker »

Well I am sure far better anglers than me will give their view but a tackle dealer said to me that if you are starting out shimano and abu reels are the way to go

I went for light and medium fishing on the rivers and canal Abu Tormentor 8 foot 7 to 28 g
Shimano Catana 8 foot 7 to 21 g

Reels Shimano Fx 2500 , Abu Cardinal 52

Don't know how big the fish are in your canal and the lures you are using but that should be OK?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

The shimano vengeance and xt I bought later on , very cheap but nice rods
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

The shimano vengeance and xt I bought later on , very cheap but nice rods
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

martinl2022 wrote: Sat Nov 20 2021 04:33 -
good day all

This winter i really fancy getting into abit of spinning for small pike and perch maybe, the thing im struggling to decide on is a rod, the only place i will be spinning is
the canal, im just struggling to decide which rod will be sufficent for me to fish for these pike in the canal, are links or feedback from rods you use on the canal would be much
appreciated

thanks

Hi and welcome aboard :handshake:

What fishing have you done previously and what is it about spinning that takes your fancy?
Your previous experience and potential budget would help in tackle advice.
Remember its not just a rod and reel you will need, a good net is also an essential.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Hello Martin, and welcome to the Pit.

If you need a bit of advice on lure fishing the LAS forum will probably be able to help also, most of the guys on here are deadbaiting guys( no offence intend men).

For what its worth and to help you with your enquiry, try to look out for a decent make second hand 5-20 or 25grm rod, not sure if you want to go baitcasting style or fixed spool, probably fixed spool, again go for better quality gear (much more pleasing to use). PM me if you are stuck and require any more info.
Oh and as Mike has already mentioned, don't forget a suitable landing net :thumbs: .

Will.