Beginners fixed spool reels

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Beginners fixed spool reels

Post by Taffypiker »

Shimano fx 2500

Abu Cardinal 52

Nowt wrong with those two for starters

Do what they say on the tin
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Beginners fixed spool reels

Post by John Milford »

I think you mean the new Abu Cardinal 52 FD Taffy?

(I only mention it because there was a recent thread about the original Abu Cardinal 52, which is a circa £100 collector's item these days!).

I have a small number of what might be termed 'beginner's' reels. I take them away on holidays or breaks where my fishing gear might not be very secure, so wouldn't risk my expensive reels.

To be honest, I've probably had as much fun with those over the years as reels costing five times as much! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Get the best you can afford if you're a beginner, you don't have to use substandard or cheap gear just because you're just starting out.

Perhaps "decent budget reels" would be a more apt description.

And I'm not jumping on your ass Taffy!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jan 17 2022 13:01 -
I think you mean the new Abu Cardinal 52 FD Taffy?

(I only mention it because there was a recent thread about the original Abu Cardinal 52, which is a circa £100 collector's item these days!).

I have a small number of what might be termed 'beginner's' reels. I take them away on holidays or breaks where my fishing gear might not be very secure, so wouldn't risk my expensive reels.

To be honest, I've probably had as much fun with those over the years as reels costing five times as much! :thumbs:
That's the one

Out of the two I prefer the shimano
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Jan 18 2022 00:12 -
Get the best you can afford if you're a beginner, you don't have to use substandard or cheap gear just because you're just starting out.

I wouldn't want to hook a good double on them that's for sure
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Jan 18 2022 13:29 -
Bob Watson wrote: Tue Jan 18 2022 00:12 -

I wouldn't want to hook a good double on them that's for sure
I'd hook a good double on budget reels no bother. My PB is 20lb it was caught using a £25 okuma interceptor, mid sized one I'm sure, ibf40 iirc. Its caught a ton of low doubles and I'd totally trust it with a 30
Chess Fisher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Chess Fisher »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jan 17 2022 13:01 -
Original old school Abu Cardinal 52. Rare as hens teeth and when you find one we are talking £150 plus these days.
Got one myself. Fabulous little reels these. Well engineered and bomb proof just like it's bigger siblings the 54, 55 and 57 :rock:
Gordon C
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I used to do general coarse fishing with the old but not very old abu cardinals

I thought they were great reels

I really like the latest cardinal spinning reels and find the 52 and 53 sizes just about correspond to the average 2500 and 3000 spinning reels

They are certainly strong enough for most of the fish I catch , perch , chub, Jack pike and for 22 quid or so that's fine . The shimano fx reels are stronger in my opinion but they both do the job for a beginner to lure fishing . I certainly wouldn't see the point of paying a lot more to take your nipper or nephew fishing .
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

The bit that holds the bail arm on the Shimano fx reel is made of very light plastic. I noticed a crack in it after a few time using it down by the sea.
I got it for a travel rod. Didnt mind as much knowing the price tag.
Marvin Farrell
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

keeponchucking wrote: Fri Jan 21 2022 15:20 -
The bit that holds the bail arm on the Shimano fx reel is made of very light plastic. I noticed a crack in it after a few time using it down by the sea.
I got it for a travel rod. Didnt mind as much knowing the price tag.
Thanks , I will check that out