Not so new but new

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Stuie-b
Stickleback
Stickleback

Not so new but new

Post by Stuie-b »

Hey all,

Im looking to get back into Piking, used to do really enjoy it back in the 80's best fishing out - just wondering if anybody could recomend a decent setup - there is that much these days, just confuses the life out of me.

Looking for decent rod
decent reel

other bits and bobs im pretty clued up on.

I gave up years ago due to being intrested in girls - now my intrest in pike is more stronger - got licences and ive signed up to the PAC as recomended.

Cheers for the help peeps
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Not so new but new

Post by Stewlaws »

Morning Stuie,

What region are you in ?

If you have already signed to PAC there is lots of information to read through on rigs etc conversely if you run the search function on here there will be a mine of information that will point you in the right direction, personally you will have options available on rods/reels/lines etc according to your pocket, add to this deadbaiting/fly/lure/trolling etc there is also your preferred method.

I have gone through the usual things over the years buying off the shelf rods to having them made, currently buying old fox rods of a certain type and really enjoying using these (silver fish ) but the forum is a helpful place, lots of depth for information and decent guys to boot.

Don't name venues and steer clear of fluro leaders and you shouldn't need a tin helmet.... Welcome to the forum.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

What is your budget?
What method do you want to begin with.
How far are you prepared to travel.
What is your preference, still or moving water.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stuie-b
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Stuie-b »

Thanks for the replies people.

What is your budget? i would say arround 500 to start with
What method do you want to begin with. - I wanted to start with lure fishing and trolling
How far are you prepared to travel: the worlld is my oyster, no serrioulys - i dont mind how far, I'm based in west midlands
What is your preference, still or moving water. - i would prefer moving water

Cheers
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stuie-b wrote: Tue Aug 09 2022 18:02 -
Thanks for the replies people.

What is your budget? i would say arround 500 to start with
What method do you want to begin with. - I wanted to start with lure fishing and trolling
How far are you prepared to travel: the worlld is my oyster, no serrioulys - i dont mind how far, I'm based in west midlands
What is your preference, still or moving water. - i would prefer moving water

Cheers

You could get a quality Westin lure rod that would comfortably double up for trolling.
Reels a Calcutta if you like multipliers, an Emblem is you want a fixed spool.
That would leave you £100 or so for line and lures.

Trolling requires a boat, moving water means rivers, so your biggest problem will be finding somewhere suitable.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Troll the for sale or put up a wanted thread, like most things, you will get more for your money by buying up 2nd hand where someone will have taken the depreciation, the £500 won't get you too farm new but sensible buying and patience will, look on marketplace and you will find some bargains. Don't skimp on terminal and lines... Don't be afraid to look at the Okuma range for a workhorse reel, if you're a brand snob then good luck!
Stuie-b
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Stuie-b »

cheers for the replies people - purchased a few items so far - just going for the rods and reels next - wish me luck hehe