Rotten Bottom

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
KAF84
Stickleback
Stickleback

Rotten Bottom

Post by KAF84 »

Hello,

I want to start using a mono link between my run ring and lead. How long should it be to avoid tangles with my trace/mainline?

Also, I want to start using uptraces. I believe they need to be longer than my hook trace to avoid tangles. Can someone please explain to me how this works?

Many thanks!!
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: Rotten Bottom

Post by Steve D »

I’ll vary mine , I mainly have about 6-8” and sleeve it so it kicks out away from the trace. If fishing weedy waters you want to make it longer so the rig settles on top of the weed and In turn doesn’t pull the rig down into it , obviously the length will depend on how weedy the water is etc .
also if casting distance I’ll make the weak link longer than the trace which will help stop the lead running back up the line on the cast.

Uptrace you ideally want them a minimum of 6” longer than the main trace .
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Upper traces are to stop bite offs, so need to be longer than your hook trace, I normally use an 18/20" trace, with a longer than that upper trace i.e. 24/26" or depending on circumstances, even longer. Rog
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'll be trying these in waters where I think a weak link is needed. I've used them in my sea fishing and you can use a really light mono rotten bottom and still hit the cast as hard as you like without fear of the lead cracking off on the cast.

Really easy to make after a small initial outlay and he has another video (or two) with a bit more detail IIRC!

Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Too much curry?

Someone had to🤭

Cheers
Ben