Going alone for the first time

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
ConnorPilgrimFishingUK
Stickleback
Stickleback

Going alone for the first time

Post by ConnorPilgrimFishingUK »

I'm going pike fishing by myself for the first time tomorrow at a local drain with lures, I've been previous times before with my dad, is there anything I should consider when going alone? Just wondering as i'm a bit worried but that could be because i'm fairly new to pike fishing.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Going alone for the first time

Post by stubbojo »

just have everything to help you with the unhooking , check before you leave home , forceps , wire cutters , net, matt
and dont panic if you catch a 30.........looking forward to seeing it on catch of the day ...good luck ....
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Good luck and stay safe
Regards
Tom
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Have you handled pike before? If not then id advise going with an experienced pike angler until your confident and competent in handling and unhooking pike. It can be daunting unhooking pike for the first time, and you must put the fishes welfare before anything else. If your fine with that, make sure your gear is up to the job and always wire traces. Otherwise enjoy!
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
boggers
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by boggers »

So... how did it go?
ConnorPilgrimFishingUK
Stickleback
Stickleback

boggers wrote: Tue Feb 14 2023 19:50 -
So... how did it go?
It was okay, I hooked one and lost it, but that's it, I've heard about a lot of blanking in pike fishing so it doesn't surprise me, I'll be back again soon
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

ConnorPilgrimFishingUK wrote: Thu Feb 16 2023 02:48 -
So... how did it go?
It was okay, I hooked one and lost it, but that's it, I've heard about a lot of blanking in pike fishing so it doesn't surprise me, I'll be back again soon
stick at it.... it will get better , the more you do and try something will happen and all gains experiences....

steve
ouchthathurt
Roach
Roach

Post by ouchthathurt »

Unlucky on the loss mate, but it happens. Having a take builds confidence, you’ll get one yet
ConnorPilgrimFishingUK
Stickleback
Stickleback

ouchthathurt wrote: Sat Feb 18 2023 18:38 -
Unlucky on the loss mate, but it happens. Having a take builds confidence, you’ll get one yet
Thank you, I plan on returning soon, hopeful to beat a pb of 6 pounds lol
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by AyrshirePiker80 »

I have 2 days booked on a big water down in the Lake District next week.

1 day on the bank and 1 day on the boat. Never used a boat before and beginning to think i shouldn't have booked it!

Only a small electric outboard but confidence is low.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Thu Mar 09 2023 12:56 -

1 day on the bank and 1 day on the boat. Never used a boat before and beginning to think i shouldn't have booked it!

Do you not get an outboard with the boat mate?
:scratch:
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

gus666 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 09:06 -

From what i've seen its a small electric one, similar power to a hairdryer!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

ConnorPilgrimFishingUK wrote: Sat Feb 18 2023 20:37 -
ouchthathurt wrote: Sat Feb 18 2023 18:38 -
Thank you, I plan on returning soon, hopeful to beat a pb of 6 pounds lol

How old are you? My guess your early teens, if Im right a 6lb pike is nothing to lol about and bigger thsn mine at the same age. When your starting out any fish is a good fish and something you can use to build upon.
Do not think pike catching is all about instant success, your fish will get bigger for certain but good fish have a habit of turning up when you least expect them, that is what makes all of us keep going. :handshake:

Mike

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

not having a go at you mate but you could easily become a statistic. definitely don't be jumping in a boat with no prior knowledge. ive got little experience and still very hesitant and had 1 "oh s**t" moment. I had benefit of working a trout fishery and pike syndicate for a while to get some hands on experience. plenty on here willing to put you right and if you're around a while might get a day afloat with someone. we're a friendly bunch really. stay safe pal and welcome to the pit :thumbs:
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 09:14 -

Strange... But it might be a Torqeedo which is actually very powerful.
As Andrew says, be careful, wear a life jaikit, make sure you take oars with you in case the engine fails and check the forecast for high winds.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

gus666 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 16:40 -

As Andrew says, be careful, wear a life jaikit, make sure you take oars with you in case the engine fails and check the forecast for high winds.
Was wind that nearly got me comin round the back of the island on harelaw side on to a full on gale. It was calm all the way and got up while I was behind and didnt notice😱 all within minutes. Broon pants
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Andrew wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 16:48 -

Was wind that nearly got me comin round the back of the island on harelaw side on to a full on gale. It was calm all the way and got up while I was behind and didnt notice😱 all within minutes. Broon pants
Aye and sometimes it's nothing you could predict either mate.
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

Andrew wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 16:13 -

not having a go at you mate but you could easily become a statistic. definitely don't be jumping in a boat with no prior knowledge. ive got little experience and still very hesitant and had 1 "oh s**t" moment. I had benefit of working a trout fishery and pike syndicate for a while to get some hands on experience. plenty on here willing to put you right and if you're around a while might get a day afloat with someone. we're a friendly bunch really. stay safe pal and welcome to the pit :thumbs:
Thanks for the advice mate. I'll get a proper look around when I am fishing from the bank on Monday, if i'm not feeling it then it'll be on the bank again the Tuesday 👍
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

I've had a look at them mate, honestly they aren't very powerfull at all, seen them on youtube too.

If i'm not feeling it i won't be going out.

Think i've just been wary of boats after what happened to those lads on Loch Awe
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

If it's the ones at £6 for an hour its probably a good wee Intro to boats tbf and you wont have lost much if you cancel :thumbs:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 17:23 -

I've had a look at them mate, honestly they aren't very powerfull at all, seen them on youtube too.

Think i've just been wary of boats after what happened to those lads on Loch Awe

Aye but to be fair they were out on a massive Loch and were wrecked on booze and coke.
I'm not sure the size of Loch your going to but as already said don't take any chances . If it doesn't feel right don't do it.
I'm not a fan of leccy outboards and anything but the smallest of lochs. 👍
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

fergie68 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 19:15 -
AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 17:23 -

Aye but to be fair they were out on a massive Loch and were wrecked on booze and coke.
I'm not sure the size of Loch your going to but as already said don't take any chances . If it doesn't feel right don't do it.
I'm not a fan of leccy outboards and anything but the smallest of lochs. 👍
I know mate, was fishing the same spot before it, and have done since.

It's 280 acres in size. Considering the boat as when i booked my 2 days i was allocated a peg? Never had that before and much prefer to walk about, and you know how many steps that can involve roaving around a loch lol..

Thanks for the advice
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

Andrew wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 17:37 -
If it's the ones at £6 for an hour its probably a good wee Intro to boats tbf and you wont have lost much if you cancel :thumbs:
Not sure mate, was just charged a day rate which was £25.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Only one water in the lakes you can book fishing boats. Those engines are fine, all you need but the lads are right about experience. The wind can pick up on there and not knowing what you're doing can result in things going wrong not only for you but the fish as well. Rigs and tackle are another consideration as you need to adjust your methods off a boat to fish effectively.

If you do go out see if you can get a sonar otherwise you're just blindly driving about, best save your money and fish the bank.
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

Lukemilnes wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 20:15 -

Only one water in the lakes you can book fishing boats. Those engines are fine, all you need but the lads are right about experience. The wind can pick up on there and not knowing what you're doing can result in things going wrong not only for you but the fish as well. Rigs and tackle are another consideration as you need to adjust your methods off a boat to fish effectively.

If you do go out see if you can get a sonar otherwise you're just blindly driving about, best save your money and fish the bank.
Thanks for the advice, all noted.

I dont mind roaming around without the sonar, do it many times before, some remote lochs up my way, and when i mean remote i mean 15-20miles to the nearest road and knowing nothing about them it was time spent searching around, which i like.

The only thing thats making me not want to have 2 days on the bank is the fact i've been allocated a peg on day 1
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 20:27 -

I dont mind roaming around without the sonar, do it many times before, some remote lochs up my way, and when i mean remote i mean 15-20miles to the nearest road and knowing nothing about them it was time spent searching around, which i like.

The only thing thats making me not want to have 2 days on the bank is the fact i've been allocated a peg on day 1
Could be they want to see who you are and what gear you have if you've not been before. Ive not bank fished it for a long time though so maybe they do issue pegs now. Not really a water you can move about on anyway, only a few bank spots

www.eplures.com
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

ConnorPilgrimFishingUK wrote: Thu Feb 16 2023 02:48 -
So... how did it go?
Keep at it and you kind of didn't blank so that's a positive 👍

www.eplures.com
AyrshirePiker80
Stickleback
Stickleback

Lukemilnes wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 20:33 -
AyrshirePiker80 wrote: Fri Mar 10 2023 20:27 -

Could be they want to see who you are and what gear you have if you've not been before. Ive not bank fished it for a long time though so maybe they do issue pegs now. Not really a water you can move about on anyway, only a few bank spots
That seems fair enough. No issues with that.

I didn't know anything about pegs either from doin some googling etc, just mentioned i will be on peg 2 on Monday..
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Strange....you can pick your peg on that water providing they ain't already booked.
I take it you were in the carpark ?
You'll be fine on the boat as it's probably the most sheltered in the lake district :thumbs: