Braid or Mono Main Line When Deadbaiting?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Simmo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Braid or Mono Main Line When Deadbaiting?

Post by Simmo »

I’m just wondering which is best for main line when deadbaiting? I use 60lb braid for my lure work and like the fact that if I get properly snagged up, I can just point the rod at the lure and straighten out the hooks or pull the split ring apart before the lure is lost. Would this same logic apply when deadbaiting though? I’ll probably only be fishing at 50m max and will be using 3lb test rods and so I was wondering if braid might be a bit ‘harsh’ for this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Braid or Mono Main Line When Deadbaiting?

Post by davelumb »

Unless there's a chance of rough ground rubbing the main line braid is fine for deadbaiting. Even under the rod tip so long as you're rods aren't pokers. Go for teh same diameter as the mono you'd use - 0.35mm as a rule for me from the bank, 0.40mm from a boat.
Simmo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Simmo »

Thanks Dave. 👍🏼
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

I switched from mono to braid last year. Using 10ft, 3lb tc rods, 60lb braid and float fished deadbaits have been really impressed. Briad took a couple of trips to settle down and a little while to get use to it
Duff casts into snags, trees etc the hooks have always straightened out before the line goes..... Ive not lost a single rig and no evidence of hook pulls playing hard fighting river fish. Many of which are caught under the rod tip. Very occasionally ive spotted light fraying near the rig end but just chop it off and revie the rig.
Simmo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Simmo »

Cheers chaps, do you favour any particular brands?
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

Can't beat Power Pro, 65lb for lures and 80lb when deadbaiting.
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

I switched from Mono to braid around 20 years ago and never looked back; initially 40lb Power Pro and currently 41lb Daiwa J-Braid x 4 Strand, which is very similar to Power Pro and very good value. Never had any problem with 4 strand braids around 40lb on 3 to 3.5lb TC rods, with plenty of big fish in some snaggy conditons. Note that 4 strand braids are tougher and more abrasian resistant than more modern (expensive!) 8 strand braids. If I used 8 strand braid for deadbaiting (I did for a while) then I’d use something around 60lb.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Mono has some advantages like abrasion resistance and that it sinks well (if you dont want a floating line that is) but in general terms for pike fishing braid is superior and although the initial cost is quite a bit more, it last for years and years. I am still using the same power pro about 8 years later.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I still much prefer mono for legering deads and for a lot of my carp fishing. Korda Subline in 15lb is excellent. Abrasion resistance is better and as Alan says, if you pick the right mono it'll sink better. Also, the feel, handling and cushioning effect (stretch) in mono I just prefer, especially when I have a decent fish lunging at the net. I do however use braid when float fishing with baits. It's better suited to that method. I use 0.35mm PowerPro in yellow. Lures, well, 100% braid for the last 25 years... using 0.1 to 0.40mm depending on the method. I've tried many over the years, but PowerPro remains my favourite and Shimano Kairiki 8 I also use on quite a few reels.
Piking Plonker
Taylorgilder
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Taylorgilder »

I fish one water that has a mono only rule , which is unfortunate as this water is the most snaggy of those I fish with areas of old bricks around the margins.
I’ve snagged and lost a couple of rigs on these bricks which wouldn’t have happened if I was using braid as I would have straightened the hooks and pulled out more likely. . Whilst accepting that it’s ‘nicer’ playing fish on mono and it does sink better I think braid is best for the pikes sake ……….
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

It’s worth noting that while braid may be less abrasian resistant than mono, depending on the diameter and 4 strand [tougher] or 8 strand [thinner, casts better, but relatively fragile] the inherent buoyancy of braid really helps avoid snags, particularly rocky bottoms, at least the way I fish. As usual there are caveats - if you fish deadbaits with a big running lead then that will create a ‘fixed’ pivot point on the bottom and drag your line into the rocks. If that’s the way you fish then you’re probably better off on mono.
pikey brownhills
Perch
Perch

Post by pikey brownhills »

Id go for mono more abrasion resistant , an dont have relie on clutch as much , always got bit insurance with mono with stretch ,partically if your new to pikeing .

If clutch not right braid will damage pikes mouth or gills possible lost pike , stick to mono 15 pound daiwa sensor
Ping Pong balls & Cat Bells :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

20lb mono is a lot better used to fish 18lb but stepped up , makes no difference to the pike or presentation .......just in case you hook into that special fish and need to bully it away from snags or ropes .....

steve
Jawpiker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Jawpiker »

Prefer braid. I normally use 40lb ish breaking strain when deadbaiting though. I use higher with lures.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I like to use mono from bank and braid from the boat.

Mono wise, I'd give another vote for Korda Subline and/or Daiwa Sensor, I use and like them both in 15lb bs.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Most use 50lb braid these days- generally no problems. Also use 0.4mm mono where needed if braid banned - quite impressed by the Korda Basix as really tough
dougpar
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by dougpar »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 25 2023 11:52 -
Unless there's a chance of rough ground rubbing the main line braid is fine for deadbaiting. Even under the rod tip so long as you're rods aren't pokers. Go for teh same diameter as the mono you'd use - 0.35mm as a rule for me from the bank, 0.40mm from a boat.
Why the difference between bank and boat?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

dougpar wrote: Mon Feb 19 2024 12:15 -
The thicker stuff should stand up to the rough and tumble of boat fishing a bit better, and casting distance isn't as important. Not a lot in it though.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Mon Feb 19 2024 12:31 -
The thicker stuff should stand up to the rough and tumble of boat fishing a bit better, and casting distance isn't as important. Not a lot in it though.
Take a bit more water with it Dave if you're finding it a bit unsteady in the boat.. :laughs:

I did wonder why a heavier line from the boat, :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Feb 19 2024 14:12 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Feb 19 2024 12:31 -
Take a bit more water with it Dave if you're finding it a bit unsteady in the boat.. :laughs:

I did wonder why a heavier line from the boat, :thumbs:
With anchor ropes and keel bands there's trouble in store for then undergunned. :wink:
--Ped--
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by --Ped-- »

i've been using kastking braid in 80lb for cats for about 5 yrs it not let me down so this year ive spooled up my pike reels with 60lb as my syndicate now allows braid for pike fishing
GudrunHelga
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by GudrunHelga »

Dean0 wrote: Tue Apr 25 2023 13:40 -
I switched from mono to braid last year. Using 10ft, 3lb tc rods, 60lb braid and float fished deadbaits have been really impressed. Briad took a couple of trips to settle down and a little while to get use to it
Duff casts into snags, trees etc the hooks have always straightened out before the line goes..... Ive not lost a single rig and no evidence of hook pulls playing hard fighting river fish. Many of which are caught under the rod tip. Very occasionally ive spotted light fraying near the rig end but just chop it off and revie the rig.
Switching from mono to braid using 10ft, 3lb tc rods, and 60lb braid for float fishing deadbaits has been impressive. Although it took a couple of trips to settle down and adjust to, I've experienced no issues with rigs getting caught in snags or trees. The hooks have remained intact, and I haven't lost a single rig or experienced hook pulls, even with hard-fighting river fish. Occasionally, there's light fraying near the rig end, but it's easily fixed by trimming it off and reviewing the rig.
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

I prefer a floating braided line. I don't like a sinking mono line when float fishing, i rather have my line on the surface then below the surface, it makes drifting alot easier imo. Static i will still use the braid, bite registration is more direct i think. Setting hooks is easier at distance.
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

Belt and braces, braid for me 0.35 minimum, wire 40lb minimum and if I was forced to use mono it would be 0.4 minimum.
Pike ain’t tackle shy and ones hooks should always go long before anything else is even close to breaking.

Personally, other than club or water rules dictating the use, I don’t see a reason why mono should ever need to be used. Unless your going ridiculously thick and heavy, it always breaks on a pull before braid ever does.

If the bottom is snaggy putting your braid that’s close to lead at risk, either use a long uptrace or sleeve it in something to protect it.