Casting out advice

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Bawhead
Stickleback
Stickleback

Casting out advice

Post by Bawhead »

Can anyone help

When I'm casting out with my running ledger rig , the 2oz waight keeps running back up the line and ends up some distance from my dead bait .
How do I prevent this from happening ?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Casting out advice

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Make sure the lead is heavier than the bait.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed May 10 2023 18:16 -
Make sure the lead is heavier than the bait.

Cheers, Alan
And/or cast more smoothly. In desperate circumstances tie the lead to the trace with PVA.
Bawhead
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bawhead »

Cheers pal. Your advice is noted 👍
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

or use a long link which hangs down at least 6inch longer than your baited trace ......or semi fixed set up ...
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Bawhead wrote: Wed May 10 2023 13:04 -
Can anyone help

When I'm casting out with my running ledger rig , the 2oz waight keeps running back up the line and ends up some distance from my dead bait .
How do I prevent this from happening ?
Using a heavier lead will help, but isn't the actual solution, especially if you're casting out big dead baits. You will experience the same issue if carp fishing with large PVA bags, where semi-fixed leads will get pulled off the line by the weight of the bag; hence you use running leads to overcome that issue and in a lot of instances - the lead will always be lighter than the bag or else you'll massively overload the rod. Like everything in life, it's easy if you know how.

Solution? Just feather the cast as your bait nears contact with the water, then check the cast before impact with the surface to allow the lead to move back to the connection to your trace or hook link/rig, etc. Also, feel the lead down on a tight line. I hope that makes sense, much easier to show someone how to do it, than describe it!
Piking Plonker
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

As mentioned above feather the cast before impact.
Should really be doing this anyway as a matter of habit as it straightens out the rig, shifts the lead into position and massively reduces the potential of tangles.