Lure rod size

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Mark96
Stickleback
Stickleback

Lure rod size

Post by Mark96 »

I’m looking into buying the Daiwa Ninja spinning rod to go with my Ninja reel.

I’m mainly going to be using it for canal fishing, some boat fishing in the lakes.

My two options for this rod are 15-59G 8ft and 20-60G 10ft.

Ideally, I would prefer to have the 20-60G rod, but would 10ft be a bit much for canal fishing ?
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Re: Lure rod size

Post by Esoxuk »

I would try to find a supplier with both in stock and try them against each other. There’s a good chance that they will have different characteristics and you may feel more confident in one over the other.
For example I have a 7’3” daiwa prorex 5 to 28g rod which is superb, fancied the 5 to 28g 9’ rod and after trying one found it was a much softer through action rod which wasn’t to my liking or suitable for my style of fishing.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

10ft is a bit long for a lure rod, I find between 7.5-8.5ft the best all round size
another way to look at it, depending what sort of venue you fish,
Short= Accuracy ( small drains, canals, rivers etc)
Long = Distance ( big ressy or pit )

20-60g you will be able to use decent sized lures, you prob get away with casting up to 70gr ish so long as your not trying to thump them into outer space
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

You can do things with a long rod that cannot be achieved with a short model which is why I prefer a longer rod for light lures, 9.5-10ft is my ideal for both sea and fresh.
I cut my teeth on the GU and most of the pike were right under the towpath bank and a long rod could be held out and the lure retrieved without a fish ever seeing me. Likewise the Perch which were usually in the boat channel, the long rod allowed the tip to raise the lure 'up the slope' quicker which was when the fish usually struck.

For bassing lures of 50gms + Ive been using a P2 with 50 Daiwa J and found I can cast further than anyone using a 'bass' rod, even those with +£500 imported Japanese rods cannot cast as far. Ive also used a P2 for the past three season when spinning for salmon and sea trout, they are a very versatile rod indeed.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Ratty46 wrote: Mon Sep 18 2023 10:18 -
10ft is a bit long for a lure rod, I find between 7.5-8.5ft the best all round size
another way to look at it, depending what sort of venue you fish,
Short= Accuracy ( small drains, canals, rivers etc)
Long = Distance ( big ressy or pit )

20-60g you will be able to use decent sized lures, you prob get away with casting up to 70gr ish so long as your not trying to thump them into outer space
I fish from a high banking on a local river which is only 25 feet wide

I find 8 ft 5 just about right
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mike J wrote: Tue Sep 19 2023 10:15 -
You can do things with a long rod that cannot be achieved with a short model which is why I prefer a longer rod for light lures, 9.5-10ft is my ideal for both sea and fresh.
I cut my teeth on the GU and most of the pike were right under the towpath bank and a long rod could be held out and the lure retrieved without a fish ever seeing me. Likewise the Perch which were usually in the boat channel, the long rod allowed the tip to raise the lure 'up the slope' quicker which was when the fish usually struck.

For bassing lures of 50gms + Ive been using a P2 with 50 Daiwa J and found I can cast further than anyone using a 'bass' rod, even those with +£500 imported Japanese rods cannot cast as far. Ive also used a P2 for the past three season when spinning for salmon and sea trout, they are a very versatile rod indeed.

I have tried the 10 ft Avon type style you suggested

I just can't get on with them
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mark96 wrote: Wed Jul 26 2023 20:25 -
I’m looking into buying the Daiwa Ninja spinning rod to go with my Ninja reel.

I’m mainly going to be using it for canal fishing, some boat fishing in the lakes.

My two options for this rod are 15-59G 8ft and 20-60G 10ft.

Ideally, I would prefer to have the 20-60G rod, but would 10ft be a bit much for canal fishing ?
Get the 8' rod - it'll be lighter than the 10' and you'll cast more accurately with the shorter rod, so a no brainer given where you'll be using it as casting distance isn't a factor; being accurate and reducing fatigue from casting will make a difference. Hope this helps with your decision.
Piking Plonker
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

It’s a personal thing I think, I prefer a shorter rod, my longest lure rod is my 9ft HTO nebula I use for Bassing, but all my pike lure rods are around 7-8ft. I prefer the control of a shorter rod. Not often I struggle with casting range where I fish.
If you were on big lochs or rezzies all the time then maybe longer would serve better !?!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Sep 21 2023 17:01 -
It’s a personal thing I think, I prefer a shorter rod, my longest lure rod is my 9ft HTO nebula I use for Bassing, but all my pike lure rods are around 7-8ft. I prefer the control of a shorter rod. Not often I struggle with casting range where I fish.
If you were on big lochs or rezzies all the time then maybe longer would serve better !?!
8 ft is generally your max ?

The HTO hooligan is 8ft and I have one ready to use as soon as Oct 1st is here

I had a 10 foot Diawa prorex for fishing off high banks but its not pleasant
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’m not saying I’ll never own longer, but where I fish I’ve never felt the need for anything longer and I personally prefer that sort length.
Joe Birch
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Fri Sep 22 2023 11:30 -
I’m not saying I’ll never own longer, but where I fish I’ve never felt the need for anything longer and I personally prefer that sort length.
What's the casting weights on your 7 to 8 ft lure rods ?
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’ve got a twin tip 5-15g/8-20g bc 6’4”, a 5-25g 8”, a 20-40g 7’, 20-80g 8’, and a 40-80g 7’2” bc.
My 9’ is a 7-35g but I only use it for bass really.
Joe Birch
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Sun Sep 24 2023 14:59 -
I’ve got a twin tip 5-15g/8-20g bc 6’4”, a 5-25g 8”, a 20-40g 7’, 20-80g 8’, and a 40-80g 7’2” bc.
My 9’ is a 7-35g but I only use it for bass really.
I have picked up a second hand drennan spincast 7ft , 4 to 18 which is great

The HTO hooligan is here and 8 ft 5 to 25 covers all really

I have the ron thompson perch stick 5 to 20 at 8 ft 5

I don't need anything more powerful and longer