Wobbled deadbaits and weights.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Wobbled deadbaits and weights.

Post by princerobin »

Hello,

Went out last night and tried wobbling deadbaits for a bit. Realized pretty quickly that I didn't have enough weight to get the fish down in 10ft of water. I was trying to use the biggest split shot I had, I had burst the swim bladder as well.

It got me wondering what do people use for weight? How much are you adding? I'm casting 2oz or so baits in about the 6-7" range, water is 10-15ft.

Thanks,

Robin
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Wobbled deadbaits and weights.

Post by suffolk si »

I’d have thought 3 or 4 swan shots should do the trick👍
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by princerobin »

Thanks

I only had a couple with me, and definitely needed some more weight.

Any ideas for something a bit neater than piling on shot?
Where are folks putting them usually, on the leader or mainline? I can see advantages to both.
Last edited by princerobin on Sun Jul 30 2023 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

The beauty of wobbled deads is that you can fish them ridiculously slowly, with as much of a delay between inputs as necessary to maintain depth. I've never routinely added weight for this reason, so the fall is as natural as possible to mimic a dying fish. To maintain 10ft or so should be pretty easy unweighted if you don't whizz it in :thumbs:
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by princerobin »

Thanks Steve,

I definitely can see the appeal of working super slow. I was trying pretty hard to let it sink down between twitches. Also I had a pretty high floating braid mainline, perhaps mono would do better.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

I use braid & & large shot if/as necessary.
Nice slow working - on the canal I fish them under a float with no weight so can be ultra slow & most takes are as it sinks rather than on the pull.
If you want heavier neat looking weights have a look at olivettes.
Korum do quick change leads but I think they're only in heavier weights although I think you might be able to modify larger olivettes to work the same way.
If you've got an Angling Direct nearby have a look at the carp & coarse stuff.
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by princerobin »

Thanks Paintman,

Lots to think about next time I go out.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

If you leave a float on you can sort of make it audibly plop by jerking the rod top up and down while retrieving too.

(Particularly effective over shallow water face)
hotburrito
Roach
Roach

Post by hotburrito »

a jighead or fireball as the top hook on the trace or you could add a Cheburashka weight or fastach to the eye of the top treble
https://www.fishingmegastore.com/leads- ... 53608.html
https://www.fishingmegastore.com/lrf-an ... gII1fD_BwE
Will Gallacher
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

princerobin wrote: Sun Jul 30 2023 20:55 -
Hello,

Went out last night and tried wobbling deadbaits for a bit. Realized pretty quickly that I didn't have enough weight to get the fish down in 10ft of water. I was trying to use the biggest split shot I had, I had burst the swim bladder as well.

It got me wondering what do people use for weight? How much are you adding? I'm casting 2oz or so baits in about the 6-7" range, water is 10-15ft.

Thanks,

Robin

First welcome aboard :handshake:

If your working it right a fish will easily come up from 10ft even if your only creasing the surface.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Dave Horton wrote: Mon Aug 14 2023 17:17 -
If you leave a float on you can sort of make it audibly plop by jerking the rod top up and down while retrieving too.

(Particularly effective over shallow water face)
The addition of a small float is a very good way of twitching a bait in super slow and can become a cross between drifter fishing , suspended dead baits and sink and draw.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.