Single Treble Or Single Hook Deadbaiting With A Small Chunk Of Fish

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Single Treble Or Single Hook Deadbaiting With A Small Chunk Of Fish

Post by Taffypiker »

Talking a small sprat or a chuck of herring or sardine instead of using double trebles on a snap tackle

Obviously safer for the fish , especially if striking early , with just one hook ?

And perfect for smaller pike in the margins ?

Those catfish hooks ok or stick to trebles ?
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Single Treble Or Single Hook Deadbaiting With A Small Chunk Of Fish

Post by delboy »

A single or circle all day long boy, ............just my opinion ,others may/ will differ.......................someone will be on here in a minute asking why is it obviously safer for the pike .
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

A single treble in a small chunk of fish might be 'kind' to small pike, but harsh on any carp you might hook, where they are present.

That wouldn't be the end of the world for the carp, but it might seem like it to a carp angler if they saw it.

Obviously, not an issue were carp aren’t present and worth a try (especially late in the season).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: Sun Oct 01 2023 18:04 -
A single treble in a small chunk of fish might be 'kind' to small pike, but harsh on any carp you might hook, where they are present.

That wouldn't be the end of the world for the carp, but it might seem like it to a carp angler if they saw it.

Obviously, not an issue were carp aren’t present and worth a try (especially late in the season).
Do you mean foul hooked carp ?

I would have though a five inch long roach with a treble in each end is more likely to foul hook a carp than a two inch chuck of herring in a single size 1 ?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Taffypiker wrote: Sun Oct 01 2023 19:40 -

I would have though a five inch long roach with a treble in each end is more likely to foul hook a carp than a two inch chuck of herring in a single size 1 ?
Carp take half mackerel on snap tackles. They may be more likely to pick up smaller baits.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fishing (19).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've had a carp on a whole 7" sardine. My son also had one on a whole smelt from the same water. Both were fairly hooked on the bottom treble, nearest the head of the bait.

Carp are very much more piscivorous than most poeple think. (That is why fish meal is a very common base ingredient in many boilies).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

davelumb wrote: Sun Oct 01 2023 20:05 -
Taffypiker wrote: Sun Oct 01 2023 19:40 -

Carp take half mackerel on snap tackles. They may be more likely to pick up smaller baits.
Well aside from not fishing there really isn't much I can do

The club have banned spinning because the carp boys think we are going to foul hook them
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: Sun Oct 01 2023 20:34 -
I've had a carp on a whole 7" sardine. My son also had one on a whole smelt from the same water. Both were fairly hooked on the bottom treble, nearest the head of the bait.

Carp are very much more piscivorous than most poeple think. (That is why fish meal is a very common base ingredient in many boilies).

Well I thought I was at least giving these great white carp a chance
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Another vote for a single or a circle.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

paintman wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 11:37 -
Not even a single treble these days ?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Circles work really well on small baits.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Taffypiker wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 15:10 -
Not with deadbaits.
A single circle for a small bait of sprat size on wondertress.

Tried a pennel rig with freelined sandeels from a drifting boat this summer & worked fine with bass, pollack & mackerel. Top hook through the head & the bottom bait elasticed near the vent to put the hook at 90deg to the eel.
So worked fine with a longer bait.
Both hooks knotless knotted with mono but I'll be using soft knottable braid for pike - I use wondertress on the single.

For sink & draw with sprats just one hook either through both jaws or the eye sockets or a nylon braid loop (fly line backing) on the hook & a small cable tie through the bait & the loop.
For horizontal under a float either a loom (elastic) band through the top centre of the bait or the braid loop & cable tie. Cable tie doesn't need a baiting needle as it will push through the dead.
Still early days & will be more experimentation with bigger deads this winter.

Only got back into piking just before covid.
Last was some 50+years ago with a small club that regarded pike as vermin to be removed so they wouldn't eat all the other fish.
Didn't go along with that & found then that big sea singles made for better livebait presentation than the snap tackles of the day & the livebait could be released after its stint if it hadn't been hit.
No issues with missing takes & or deep hooking.

Trebles on hard lures & spinners although I'm having a play with the inline singles.

Soft lures a single jig hook (usually weighted) perhaps with a small treble stinger on soft trace wire held in place with a bait pin.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 15:34 -
Circles work really well on small baits.
There isn't any point in putting out big baits in the pools I fish , the pike are very small by that I mean 6 pound is a specimen
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

paintman wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 19:37 -
Taffypiker wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 15:10 -
Not with deadbaits.
A single circle for a small bait of sprat size on wondertress.

Tried a pennel rig with freelined sandeels from a drifting boat this summer & worked fine with bass, pollack & mackerel. Top hook through the head & the bottom bait elasticed near the vent to put the hook at 90deg to the eel.
So worked fine with a longer bait.
Both hooks knotless knotted with mono but I'll be using soft knottable braid for pike - I use wondertress on the single.

For sink & draw with sprats just one hook either through both jaws or the eye sockets or a nylon braid loop (fly line backing) on the hook & a small cable tie through the bait & the loop.
For horizontal under a float either a loom (elastic) band through the top centre of the bait or the braid loop & cable tie. Cable tie doesn't need a baiting needle as it will push through the dead.
Still early days & will be more experimentation with bigger deads this winter.

Only got back into piking just before covid.
Last was some 50+years ago with a small club that regarded pike as vermin to be removed so they wouldn't eat all the other fish.
Didn't go along with that & found then that big sea singles made for better livebait presentation than the snap tackles of the day & the livebait could be released after its stint if it hadn't been hit.
No issues with missing takes & or deep hooking.

Trebles on hard lures & spinners although I'm having a play with the inline singles.

Soft lures a single jig hook (usually weighted) perhaps with a small treble stinger on soft trace wire held in place with a bait pin.
I am not deadbaiting till December but I was looking at a sprat or half a sprat or a small chunk of herring under a bob float just 10 yards out

I was going to hook the herring or sprat then bind it on with bait elastic
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Much the same as I do on the local canal.
Sprat on a 5/0 or 6/0 Mustad circle hooked as above in the head.
No weight - or use large shot as required - under either a small sliding float or a small fishing gazette bung.
Gentle lob & the sprats will take quite a few casts.
Cast out, allow to settle then draw back about a yard, allow to settle, repeat. It's very slow sink & draw.
Last edited by paintman on Mon Oct 02 2023 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

paintman wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 22:05 -
Much the same as I do on the local canal.
Sprat on a 5/0 or 6/0 circle hooked as above in the head.
No weight - or use large shot as required - under either a small sliding float or a small fishing gazette bung.
Gentle lob & the sprats will take quite a few casts.
Cast out, allow to settle then draw back about a yard, allow to settle, repeat. It's very slow sink & draw.
It's interesting you mention slow sink and draw , just watched a you tube video by Des Taylor explains that method with the twitching of a sprat under a small float every so often
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Certainly effective. I find takes are often after a pull as everything is settling down again. Float usually just starts to wander off.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

paintman wrote: Mon Oct 02 2023 22:20 -
Certainly effective. I find takes are often after a pull as everything is settling down again. Float usually just starts to wander off.
Nice one
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Well does anyone use single trebles anymore or is it totally scorned ?

If it isn't and someone wants a zipper of single hook semi barbed 20 and 25 pound traces pm me and I will pop them in the post