Tackle wont cast

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Discus man
Stickleback
Stickleback

Tackle wont cast

Post by Discus man »

Hi guys quick question if I may, I was out with the grandson again and the thing is the rods just were not casting far , one was a ledger set up 2+ ounce weight and the other a sliding float rig and the funny thing was the float one was getting further out app 40yds than the ledger , the rods are both carp rods 12ft and 23/4 test and both have big pit reals , the only thing I can think of is as the reels were stored for a long time the 20lb mono has stuck hence impeding the casting would I be better taking them to a park and reeling them out and in a couple of times thanks in advance
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Tackle wont cast

Post by Cyprio »

If you think the line is stuck and has been stored for a long time Just Replace it.

As you can’t guarantee it’s condition.
It’s just not worth having line issues at the chance of line breaking on the cast or snapping under tension. You don’t want to be leaving baited traces or be attached to a fish and line breakage no matter what size or species.
Andy Carpenter
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If the line is really old it could have stiffened up, it could also be very suspect (weak) in its resilience to use and knotting. The answer is to respool with new line and go into a park or open space and get the young lad casting a safe lightweight item, say a small banana or tangerine in a bit of mesh bag.
That way he cannot injure anyone if his first few casts go wrong and with your help it will get him quickly into the right techniques.

Learning to cast from scratch on the bank isn't easy, especially if the gear used is a being difficult.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Oct 18 2023 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Discus man
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Discus man »

Thanks lads totally agree with that , now what would be best one with braid and one with mono and what types to go for tks
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Both braid, providing the waters you're fishing allow it. Most do, but the carpy places sometimes insist on mono.

I use Powerpro 66lbs for pike & sea with lures & baits on fixed spools & multipliers.
Same diameter as 15lbs mono.

Might sound OTT but I find that if I do get snagged with lures or deadbait rigs (that was with trebles, I don't use them on deads now) I can pull & usually get the lot back as either the snag will fail or the hooks will bend enough.
Reduces the chance of a break leaving a baited rig out.

Others will have their favourites.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Discus man wrote: Mon Oct 16 2023 11:01 -
Hi guys quick question if I may, I was out with the grandson again and the thing is the rods just were not casting far , one was a ledger set up 2+ ounce weight and the other a sliding float rig and the funny thing was the float one was getting further out app 40yds than the ledger , the rods are both carp rods 12ft and 23/4 test and both have big pit reals , the only thing I can think of is as the reels were stored for a long time the 20lb mono has stuck hence impeding the casting would I be better taking them to a park and reeling them out and in a couple of times thanks in advance
Just re-spool the reels with some new 15lb mono. Should be as simple as that. For float fishing and just 2oz of weight legering, I wouldn't be using big pit reels either, but that's me.
Piking Plonker