Landing net - Which type is best?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Landing net - Which type is best?

Post by Frenchieboy »

I have a landing net but I am about to buy a new larger one that is more suited for (Hopefully) larger pike.
The problem I have been having is having pike thrashing about when they first go into the net for landing and the barbs of the treble hooks getting tangled in the mesh. This creates a problem for me getting the hooks out of the net without damaging the net. As I am about to buy a new (Either 36 inch or 42 inch) landing net would I be better buying a larger meshed net that is non rubberised to minimize the problem of getting tangled treble hooks out from the net please?
I would welcome your thoughts and advice on the subject of which type of landing net id most suitable for landing very active.
Please bare in mind that I am asking the more experienced amongst you as I am a novice to pike fishing.

Edit: Just a thought - Would it make life easier if I were to de-barb my hooks and if so would it mean the chance of loosing fish through them throwing the hooks? Any thoughts please?
paintman
Perch
Perch

Re: Landing net - Which type is best?

Post by paintman »

Frenchieboy wrote: Wed Oct 18 2023 19:32 -
Edit: Just a thought - Would it make life easier if I were to de-barb my hooks and if so would it mean the chance of loosing fish through them throwing the hooks? Any thoughts please?
Yes it would. Also makes unhooking fish easier.
If using trebles for deads you can buy them with just one barb which is the one that holds the bait.
Keep tension on & no reason why a properly hooked fish would come off.
I usually fish barbless - hooks either bought as such or remove/flatten the barb - & can't say I've noticed a problem.

Barbs are something of a can of worms with the carp brigade, some waters have a barbed only policy for the carp arguing that a barbless hook can move during a fight & cause more damage to the mouth.
Others have a barbless only rule.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have a landing net but I am about to buy a new larger one that is more suited for (Hopefully) larger pike.
The problem I have been having is having pike thrashing about when they first go into the net for landing and the barbs of the treble hooks getting tangled in the mesh. This creates a problem for me getting the hooks out of the net without damaging the net. As I am about to buy a new (Either 36 inch or 42 inch) landing net would I be better buying a larger meshed net that is non rubberised to minimize the problem of getting tangled treble hooks out from the net please?
I would welcome your thoughts and advice on the subject of which type of landing net id most suitable for landing very active.
Please bare in mind that I am asking the more experienced amongst you as I am a novice to pike fishing.

A single J or circle hook will rarely catch in a net mesh.
Initially try to avoid landing a fresh/green fish, let it loose a bit of energy before you net it and unhooking will be less of a problem, more so if you cover its eyes with a wet towel during the process.
Small jacks are those that require extra care because whatever you do some are sure to leave your with something to remember them by :grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

I should have said that at the moment I am only lure fishing so all of my lures are fitted with trebles! As yet I am not ready to start dead baiting as I don't have suitable tackle.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

would I be better buying a larger meshed net that is non rubberised
Yes and no - you want large mesh AND rubberised.

Most blokes on here will use a 42" net. Even if the pike doesn't fill it, it just makes netting easier.

Sometimes - eg. if a pike does the "crocodile roll", especially with a flying treble - your only approach is to cut the net. The pike has to come first - you can maybe use braid to patch a hole. And replacement nets are easily enough fitted. But big mesh, rubberised nets minimise this.

If you already have a 42" net, you can maybe just swap the mesh, keep the existing handle + arms.

If you want a completely new net, these are reasonably priced; https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/advanta ... k_products

...or stick a post here in the "Wanted" section - I'm sure people will have spare mesh & arms they'll part with for a few quid.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Frenchieboy wrote: Wed Oct 18 2023 23:06 -
I should have said that at the moment I am only lure fishing so all of my lures are fitted with trebles! As yet I am not ready to start dead baiting as I don't have suitable tackle.
I was perhaps a little unclear.
I normally fish barbless across the board - all lures (pike, perch & sea), flies (trout, sea, coarse & pike) & circles for deads.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

For deadbaiting, a 42" bow frame net is all you really need for pike up to upper 20s. On waters where they run big, I use a 46". A soft micro mesh is fine, as in most instances the hooks are not exposed when landing on baits and I imagine most people will be using semi barbed hooks - a deep mesh is preferable to retain bigger fish for weighing. The handle is important, minimum of 6ft and if like me you fish waters where there can be reeds and such like to navigate, an extending or two piece handle is strongly recommended. I use Free Spirit carbon S nets, with either 6ft or the two part 8ft handles.

Lure fishing is different - a round or oval net, with rubberised, larger mesh. Hooks will be making contact with the mesh and no one in their right mind uses barbless hooks when lure fishing. I use different size nets for bank and boat, in fact I often take two nets when in the boat, as s**t does happen. Loads to choose from, I use Westins in all the sizes from M to XXL and also use folding outsize nets for the boat, when fishing the bigger waters. If you want an 'all round' lure net, the Westin W3 in size Large would suffice for most pike you'll catch. Luckily with pike, you can hand land fish if they're not going to fit into the net or it is just easier not to use the net in some situations - if I can do it safely and the fish isn't huge, I'll almost always hand land when lure fishing, in fact I have actually hand landed a lot of 20's when I think about it - it's often a lot easier. But, I appreciate a novice may find hand landing bigger fish or even small ones, a step too far. Trust me though, once you get the hang of it, you'll hardly ever use the net on a lot of waters.
Piking Plonker
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

JoeNickel wrote: Wed Oct 18 2023 23:11 -

Most blokes on here will use a 42" net. Even if the pike doesn't fill it, it just makes netting easier.

Sometimes - eg. if a pike does the "crocodile roll", especially with a flying treble - your only approach is to cut the net. The pike has to come first - you can maybe use braid to patch a hole. And replacement nets are easily enough fitted. But big mesh, rubberised nets minimise this.

If you already have a 42" net, you can maybe just swap the mesh, keep the existing handle + arms.

If you want a completely new net, these are reasonably priced; https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/advanta ... k_products

...or stick a post here in the "Wanted" section - I'm sure people will have spare mesh & arms they'll part with for a few quid.
Thank you for your very helpful answer. First of all My net is smaller than a 42 inch, which is why I am looking at buying a larger which fits in with your second point - Yes I agree that the pike has to come first which is why I am going to buy a larger net and why I asked the question.
Hopefully this will clarify any misunderstandings.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Angling Direct do their own folding rubberised net aimed at predator anglers. I’ve had one for a few seasons and I’d rate it better than the Savage Gear equivalent net.
Reasonably priced too.
If you don’t want a folding net then Eddie turner does a rubber net to fit on traditional 42” triangular net arms.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

Oh dear seems AD are getting into come on use, please use our old suppliers eddie needs to eat.
retired so time to smell the roses.
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Oct 19 2023 04:03 -
Angling Direct do their own folding rubberised net aimed at predator anglers. I’ve had one for a few seasons and I’d rate it better than the Savage Gear equivalent net.
Reasonably priced too.
If you don’t want a folding net then Eddie turner does a rubber net to fit on traditional 42” triangular net arms.
I have thought about a folding net (Like the savage Gear ones with larger mesh) but from what I have seen it looks like the handles that slide out are a little short and they don't seem to do them with telescopic handles (Which I would prefer at around 2 meters). Does anyone have any thoughts on the Savage Gear Pro folding landing nets without telescopic handles please? (i.e. Do you feel that you have enough reach with the shorter, non telescopic handles)
Last edited by Frenchieboy on Thu Oct 19 2023 11:26, edited 2 times in total.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

I will just add my thoughts re replacing a 42" mesh with a rubberised mesh. I have gone down this route and found the whole affair to be heavy, unwieldy and very awkward when fishing alone. Also very bulky to carry. I have now gone back to the normal mesh. As has already been said the netting is easily patched or replaced.
Michael Bruton
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

fossil-fish wrote: Thu Oct 19 2023 10:41 -
I will just add my thoughts re replacing a 42" mesh with a rubberised mesh. I have gone down this route and found the whole affair to be heavy, unwieldy and very awkward when fishing alone. Also very bulky to carry. I have now gone back to the normal mesh. As has already been said the netting is easily patched or replaced.
Patching larger net mesh would not be a problem for me as I used to make ferret purse nets and still have most of my threads and needles!
(Another reason for thinking about going over to a larger mesh landing net)
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Frenchieboy wrote: Thu Oct 19 2023 10:12 -
Reasonably priced too.
I have thought about a folding net (Like the savage Gear ones with larger mesh) but from what I have seen it looks like the handles that slide out are a little short and they don't seem to do them with telescopic handles (Which I would prefer at around 2 meters). Does anyone have any thoughts on the Savage Gear Pro folding landing nets without telescopic handles please? (i.e. Do you feel that you have enough reach with the shorter, non telescopic handles)
The Savage gear come with a normal or telescopic handle,
The Advanta one all have telescopic handles.
Joe Birch
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Is this a 36 inch net ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I need a 36 inch net here , lightweight for lure angling

I have a fox warrior which is a lovely net but 30 inches , not big enough in terms of fish care
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

This net looks great but my club would rule it too small as its a 33 inch net at its widest

And the club rules are 36 inches
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Taffypiker wrote: Fri Oct 20 2023 11:28 -

This net looks great but my club would rule it too small as its a 33 inch net at its widest

Yes Taff, you've mentioned that. Here and also three times to me by message.

I think I'm beginning to understand.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

JoeNickel wrote: Fri Oct 20 2023 12:12 -

That's because you asked me to mention it on here after I mentioned it to you in a private message

I want to be certain that any net I get is going to pass the 36 inch minimum test and is also a good net

I was persuaded to get a fox warrior net , xl before I checked and even the biggest model isn't 36 inches so I use it for general fishing now

Can you give me the dimensions of your savage gear xl as you said last night ?

Regards
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

:laughs:
Joe Birch
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

fossil-fish wrote: Thu Oct 19 2023 10:41 -
For bait fishing, I would not want a rubberised mesh - agree completely with your sentiments. Just not needed and more cons than pros to using it for that method.
Piking Plonker
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

I have tried all sorts of nets and combinations and come to this conclusion, bearing in mind that my circumstances will not be the same as yours.
Most of my fishing is deadbaiting on rivers with trips to stillwaters when the rivers are too far up...
All hooks bar the one in the tail are de barbed..
Drennan specialist extending handle, fox spreader block, 36" or 42" tackle box arms and shakespeare sigma mesh, the mesh is not as soft as most mesh`s which seems to work better, they come with arms but i am not keen on them so throw them away...
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Taffypiker wrote: Fri Oct 20 2023 12:50 -

That's because you asked me to mention it on here after I mentioned it to you in a private message

I want to be certain that any net I get is going to pass the 36 inch minimum test and is also a good net

I was persuaded to get a fox warrior net , xl before I checked and even the biggest model isn't 36 inches so I use it for general fishing now

Regards
Here you go Taff - sorry it took slightly longer than expected.

As per our message exchange, it's not the same shape as a regular triangular net with arms and a spreader block. So it's hard to measure in the same way. But I think you can argue that the SG XL net is 36".

I don't know if the other manufacturer's versions of this net are the same size (BFT, AD).

Net dimensions for Taff.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

JoeNickel wrote: Sat Oct 21 2023 13:02 -

Regards

As per our message exchange, it's not the same shape as a regular triangular net with arms and a spreader block. So it's hard to measure in the same way. But I think you can argue that the SG XL net is 36".

I don't know if the other manufacturer's versions of this net are the same size (BFT, AD).

Many thanks Jo

I will send the dimensions to the bailiff and see what he says

Anything bigger I am going to need a trawler
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Taffypiker wrote: Sat Oct 21 2023 14:18 -

Regards

Many thanks Jo

36 inch and in your price range. https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/nets-handl ... reen-mesh/
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

davelumb wrote: Sat Oct 21 2023 14:31 -
Taffypiker wrote: Sat Oct 21 2023 14:18 -

Regards

Many thanks Jo

36 inch and in your price range. https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/nets-handl ... reen-mesh/
Looks like you have branched out
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

Now all sorted thanks Guys! I am now waiting for delivery of a brand new Savage Gear Pro in Extra Large Size. I have opted for this one as it is plenty big enough and with large (2mm square" mesh) I am less likely get my hooks tangled in it even though I have de-barbed the hooks on my lures to "minimize" potential problems and to make un-hooking a bit easier and quicker!
Thanks for the advice Guys!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

no need to cut the net ....just take a cutter to the hooks , better to trash a trace than a good net :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Frenchieboy wrote: Thu Oct 19 2023 10:12 -
Reasonably priced too.
i use the savage gear boat net , with the short handle ,i also use it for the bank with no problems as i can still bring the fish over the net ...without a problem up to now
nets can be a bugger to carry about.... along with chairs if you have a hike .
look at the type of venues you fish as a longer handled net might be better for you ......

steve
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Reasonably priced too.
i have one of them, with extending handle, works well its pretty much the same as a savage net, i also have one of them, had that one well over 10 years!