Deadbait ledger fishing

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Iceman88
Stickleback
Stickleback

Deadbait ledger fishing

Post by Iceman88 »

When you cast out do you reel the bait back to the lead
I’ve been just leaving it and missing bites is this why
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Deadbait ledger fishing

Post by Cyprio »

Feather the cast before it hits the water, this will allow the bait and lead to sort themselves out.
Either that try semi fixed.
Winding the bait back to the lead is ok if what it lands on is clean, but you could be dragging bait hooks etc into weed debris etc.

Other thing to remember hormones are running high now and traditionally silly season for many dropped runs.

This thread may help;
viewtopic.php?p=829327#p829327
Andy Carpenter
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

The bait and the lead should always land a trace length apart with the bait being furthest from you, this will help no end to avoid tangles, if they are not and are separating increase the weight of your lead and/or feather the rig before splashdown and then stop it just before impact.
You could also use semi fixed leads if you wish to use light leads.
Feel the rig down to the bottom and then pull back a trace length to separate the lead from the bait and straighten the rig out,
Cant quite see why you would miss takes because of this, more likely to give poor indication but the correct method in this is part of getting the basics right!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Iceman88
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Iceman88 »

Cyprio wrote: Thu Feb 15 2024 21:00 -
Feather the cast before it hits the water, this will allow the bait and lead to sort themselves out.
Either that try semi fixed.
Winding the bait back to the lead is ok if what it lands on is clean, but you could be dragging bait hooks etc into weed debris etc.

Other thing to remember hormones are running high now and traditionally silly season for many dropped runs.

This thread may help;
viewtopic.php?p=829327#p829327
Thanks think that is what I need to learn
Iceman88
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Iceman88 »

After blanking first few times last time out I missed one with the net and it got off second try netting it that was on a float rig
Second one I had was on the ledger rig on alarms I hooked it but could tell It wasn’t hooked great and it got off , had a few times it bleeped a few times I struck and there was nothing on
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Iceman88 wrote: Thu Feb 15 2024 21:35 -
After blanking first few times last time out I missed one with the net and it got off second try netting it that was on a float rig
Second one I had was on the ledger rig on alarms I hooked it but could tell It wasn’t hooked great and it got off , had a few times it bleeped a few times I struck and there was nothing on
:roll: Can’t believe I’ve given advice to someone who’s getting runs and dropping them :clown:

Only joking I’ll be fishing local tomorrow and it’s been hard going to get a run this winter. They’ll be nine of us with three rods each I hope with the size of the area we have covered someone will get a run. :pale:

Good for you :thumbs: keep at it, this time of year they do play silly beggars, mouthing baits or just picking them up with the slightest of bites.
Don’t try leaving the runs any longer as you will get one that takes it down.
Andy Carpenter
Iceman88
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Iceman88 »

Hah it’s an improvement getting runs but I want one in the net
Especially when kids turn up next to
Me and get two out with just a deadbait on a hook after an hour 😂😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

try hitting it straight away......sometimes not always pike , line bites can play havoc on certain venues , grebes , diving coots , will give false runs .....

its funny its something i dont really suffer with finniky false bites on the whole and runs ...i do bump them off a bit but i think its because i hit them very early
and maybe the bait is not fully in the mouth .......you cant win em all.....better early i think
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

It is the time if the year for bumping fish off - as Andy says, they often play silly beggars from about now.

I had seven takes last Thursday and only managed to get four into the net - nothing of any great size, but very welcome nevertheless.

If you do bump one off, get a bait back out to the same area as fast as you can, as another quick take is on the cards. Whether it is the same fish having another go, or perhaps a little 'wolf pack' passing through the swim, I've never quite worked out - but it pays off often enough.

The week previously I brought a pike in on my furthest bait, only for it to shake itself of at the net. My close-in bait then went within a couple of minutes! Having got a very good look at the first culprit, I'm 80% sure it was the same fish again.

(Pike playing silly beggars can cut both ways if you're lucky).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "