Eels on lures ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Aug 05 2018 18:25

Hi all Wile out today checking out a small brook/river I decided to take a small bait casting setup with me and to cut a long story short I caught an eel on a small single hook soft plastic lure , didnโ€™t weigh it but was 2ft long and gave a real good scrap on a light rod. , never heard of eels being caught on lures before and it was in blazing sunshine ,, anybody else ever caught an eel on lures ? Sorry in advance if this has been covered before. ๐Ÿ‘
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
alan behenna
Major
Major
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by alan behenna » Sun Aug 05 2018 18:29

Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

:eek:

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Aug 05 2018 18:59

alan behenna wrote: โ†‘
Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

:eek:
I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably the worst park in Birmingham at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
spincityfan
Major
Major
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: on the loo

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by spincityfan » Sun Aug 05 2018 19:33

Woolley bully wrote: โ†‘
alan behenna wrote: โ†‘
Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

:eek:
I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably
the worst park in Birmingham
at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
Villa Park?!

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Aug 05 2018 19:55

No , this place we used to go was a nightmare to fish , I stopped going there after a few times as although there were some nice fish in there the risk was a joke, people trying to kill each other with swords and knives a few pegs down is something you donโ€™t want to be apart of ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
spincityfan
Major
Major
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: on the loo

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by spincityfan » Sun Aug 05 2018 20:19

sounds a nice place lol

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Aug 05 2018 20:24

Yeah I would tell you the name of the place but donโ€™t want the pit police ๐Ÿ‘ฎโ€โ™€๏ธ On my ass ! may have changed but I think I will give it a miss lol
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
spincityfan
Major
Major
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: on the loo

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by spincityfan » Sun Aug 05 2018 20:31

its not worth it.

fishing is supposed to be relaxing, you cant relax somewhere like that.

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sun Aug 05 2018 21:33

spincityfan wrote: โ†‘
its not worth it.

fishing is supposed to be relaxing, you cant relax somewhere like that.
Yeah itโ€™s the only place I have fished where I spent more time looking behind me than watching the rods
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
dropped_run
Captain
Captain
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by dropped_run » Mon Aug 06 2018 00:35

Ade Hawes had a 4-14 from memory trolling a 6" manns shad. I know of a couple of others caught on ultra light jigs

I remember a story from the anglers mail or times a few years back of a bloke getting one in the 6+ range trolling a spoon in midwater
James Dobie.

User avatar
alan behenna
Major
Major
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by alan behenna » Mon Aug 06 2018 07:34

Woolley bully wrote: โ†‘
alan behenna wrote: โ†‘
Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

:eek:
I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably the worst park in Birmingham at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can't help you with the colouring, never "deliberately" targeted the Freshwater' Eel on Lure or Bait.

Don't want' to!

:eek:

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Mon Aug 06 2018 10:26

Itโ€™s probably normal colour for eels but I have never noticed before lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
Born to fish but forced to work

philbrown
Captain
Captain
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by philbrown » Mon Aug 06 2018 13:18

Been a few big eels caught on the fly at Rutland water in mid water. Nigel savage will possibly have pictures?

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Mon Aug 06 2018 18:17

philbrown wrote: โ†‘
Been a few big eels caught on the fly at Rutland water in mid water. Nigel savage will possibly have pictures?
Would be good to see them if there still kicking about !
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4283
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by martin godliman » Wed Aug 08 2018 07:39

I've got a series pictures on my computer of a friend with a lure caught eel every pic different because he was struggling, fighting holding it for the camera, he said it was fought harder in the boat after he landed it :laughs: That was from a 'southern' trout water trolling a plug near the bottom 7lb 6oz I think it was from memory. It was a well known and recorded event at the time.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Wed Aug 08 2018 08:20

Martin,

Was that the one caught by DF?

User avatar
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4283
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by martin godliman » Wed Aug 08 2018 09:02

Monts wrote: โ†‘
Martin,

Was that the one caught by DF?
Yes Jason....I'm not sure we need to be so coy about though it was all over fishing news at the time and I think he quite liked the notoriety and sticking it too the eel fishing enthusiasts who were very envious of his monster :smile: ....I didn't see it but I was fishing there on the day catching not much.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Wed Aug 08 2018 09:12

Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.

nigel savage
Major
Major
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sat Sep 03 2011 05:00
Location: Rutland

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by nigel savage » Wed Aug 08 2018 11:21

philbrown wrote: โ†‘
Been a few big eels caught on the fly at Rutland water in mid water. Nigel savage will possibly have pictures?
Can't find the only image i took of a fish around 5-6lb, we had a series of eels being caught by fly anglers for about 3/4 years on the trot, nothing for a while now though.
Biggest caught was around an estimated double figure fish!! the majority were around the above weight around 5-6lb.

User avatar
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4283
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by martin godliman » Wed Aug 08 2018 12:13

Monts wrote: โ†‘
Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.
I never could be exactly sure of the weight Jason there are times when I thought it was 9lb 2oz memory issues :laughs: I need to write everything down these days.
I stopped going when Dave packed in being RO and the venue moved, prior to that I never missed did we go to the same meetings back then ? :red:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Wed Aug 08 2018 15:26

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
Monts wrote: โ†‘
Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.
I never could be exactly sure of the weight Jason there are times when I thought it was 9lb 2oz memory issues :laughs: I need to write everything down these days.
I stopped going when Dave packed in being RO and the venue moved, prior to that I never missed did we go to the same meetings back then ? :red:
Here we go.
DF.JPG
Dave has taken on the RO role again I'm led to understand. But it's been some time since I last went.

User avatar
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4283
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by martin godliman » Wed Aug 08 2018 15:28

That's the one :thumbs:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Wed Aug 08 2018 17:55

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
That's the one :thumbs:
There are some photo's of you from wayyyyyyyy back looking very young. That I had not noticed earlier while looking online at work, I'll refrain though mate. :wink:

User avatar
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4283
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by martin godliman » Wed Aug 08 2018 20:24

Monts wrote: โ†‘
martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
That's the one :thumbs:
There are some photo's of you from wayyyyyyyy back looking very young. That I had not noticed earlier while looking online at work, I'll refrain though mate. :wink:
Fishing photo's ? ....they must be very old I've looked this raddled for 20 years at least.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Wed Aug 08 2018 21:07

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
Monts wrote: โ†‘
martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
That's the one :thumbs:
There are some photo's of you from wayyyyyyyy back looking very young. That I had not noticed earlier while looking online at work, I'll refrain though mate. :wink:
Fishing photo's ? ....they must be very old I've looked this raddled for 20 years at least.
Pm mate.

User avatar
Woolley bully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Sep 23 2016 18:28
Location: Birmingham

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully » Sat Aug 11 2018 10:34

Monts wrote: โ†‘
martin godliman wrote: โ†‘
Monts wrote: โ†‘
Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.
I never could be exactly sure of the weight Jason there are times when I thought it was 9lb 2oz memory issues :laughs: I need to write everything down these days.
I stopped going when Dave packed in being RO and the venue moved, prior to that I never missed did we go to the same meetings back then ? :red:
Here we go.

DF.JPG

Dave has taken on the RO role again I'm led to understand. But it's been some time since I last went.
Thatโ€™s a cracking eel , makes the one i caught look almost like a boot lace lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘
Born to fish but forced to work

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Neville Fickling » Sat Aug 11 2018 15:25

Monts excuse my dimness but i'm not aware of who exactly you are. i'd like to put a name to that monster eel. by the way dave kelbrick nearly had one at Deggy estimated 6lb.

User avatar
Monts
Major
Major
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Monts » Sat Aug 11 2018 16:00

Neville Fickling wrote: โ†‘
Monts excuse my dimness but i'm not aware of who exactly you are. i'd like to put a name to that monster eel. by the way dave kelbrick nearly had one at Deggy estimated 6lb.
That is not me Nev, but Dave Fish RO for the Walton-on-Thames PAC region. My names Bond, Jason Bond. :wink:

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by Neville Fickling » Sat Aug 11 2018 16:05

I remember Dave Fish the name i'm hopeless on faces. But thanks.

piker60
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sun Nov 18 2012 06:00

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by piker60 » Sat Aug 11 2018 21:27

I had an eel (2 lb ish) trolling an alphabet lure in the Lake District in the early 90's.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill

Post Reply