Land Locked Drains

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Thecornking
Stickleback
Stickleback

Land Locked Drains

Post by Thecornking » Tue Sep 10 2019 12:38

HI, does anyone know of any land drains that can be fished around the KIngs Lynn area with reasonable access?

Chris Hammond
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Land Locked Drains

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Sep 10 2019 18:49

Nobody will post details of waters mate. I know it will seem a bit off but it simply doesn't make sense to experienced pike anglers to add to the pressure on 'their' waters. If you joined in with the forum for a bit first you'd probably make a friend or two and be pointed in the right direction.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Tue Sep 10 2019 19:34

Chris Hammond wrote:
Nobody will post details of waters mate. I know it will seem a bit off but it simply doesn't make sense to experienced pike anglers to add to the pressure on 'their' waters. If you joined in with the forum for a bit first you'd probably make a friend or two and be pointed in the right direction.
Diplomatic as ever :thumbs:

A new member that maybe won't slam the door on the way out because of a reasonable first response.

As said by Chris, join in a bit and you may get a pm or two in the near future offering a day out, it happens quite a bit on here :handshake:

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sat Sep 14 2019 20:53

Thecornking wrote:
HI, does anyone know of any land drains that can be fished around the KIngs Lynn area with reasonable access?
Yes... but you'll need to find them yourself.

One tip - always try to get permission to fish land drains. Often, asking is all that's needed. But don't ask and expect to get kicked off a bit sharpish. Other than that, find the right one and it can be fantastic pike fishing if you keep it to yourself of course. Got a good one up my sleeve for this winter which I'm looking forward to fishing. Land drains are often ignored by most, but in my experience can be awesome. Even those resembling ditches can do 20lb pike. Oh, the Fens are a waste of time BTW :laughs:

Chris Hammond
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Chris Hammond » Yesterday 17:47

Get yourself an OS Explorer for the area or download Google Earth mate and check out anything blue. You'll soon see where any drains are and then you can pick and choose for yourself.

Catching a decent pike from somewhere you've unearthed yourself is the number one feeling in pike angling bar none! Asking those who already have captures of note can be majorly misleading anyway. You need to bypass the 'self fulfilling prophecy that sees us seasoned pikers writing off a piece of water and capitalize on our blinkered ideas. If nobody fishes somewhere because it doesn't have a recent record for big pike then that can be the ingredient that makes for a perfect pike water. When I did a lot of that kind of fishing I worked on the basis that big/good pike waters if left to their own devices recycled in around a decade. All you're really looking for are two key components. A water with history and neglect. :wink:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Today 11:55

As many, I have had some very nice fish from water you could almost jump over.
Always amazing when the magins erupt and you know the boil is the right size, even before you feel the weight of the fish.

Always ask, sometimes the landowner doesn't own the fishing, its rare but it does happen.

Let us know how you get on because its always nice to hear how people progress.
As above, no names, pics showing locations or daft references, keep all that to yourself.

:handshake: