eel on mackerel tail

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: eel on mackerel tail

Post by BillCollins »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:35 -
BillCollins wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:19 -
I have'nt caught an eel for 10 years plus, they seem to have become practically extinct in the waters around me here. The last one I ''caught'' was a 3lb+'er that I somehow managed to hook in the vent on a size 12 while tench fishing.
When I was much younger I used to target them, fishing at night with lobs and small deads. 2 waters in particular had some good ones and over time, my best went 5-09, 5-05 and several high 4's.
I miss them, they're an intriguing fish when they get bigger.
strange that they say they are in decline
the small farm type ponds that i fish and bigger types too say up to 5 acres in size seem to have a very healthy populations of eels
one farm pond i fish is absolutely stuffed with them , if you put a dead bait on even in the daytime its away in minutes.....you even catch on maggots under a float
I live close to the Shannon in Ireland and at one time you were sure to catch a few eels if legering for bream etc, even during the day. They gradually dwindled away and now I rarely hear of anyone catching one. They're covered by a conservation program since about 2007 (I think), with angling for them being prohibited and it's also an offence to be in possession of an eel or parts of an eel as pike bait, irrespective of where you got them.....not that there's much chance of being caught but the legislation is there.
Marcraft are for queers.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

BillCollins wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 23:06 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:35 -
BillCollins wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:19 -
I have'nt caught an eel for 10 years plus, they seem to have become practically extinct in the waters around me here. The last one I ''caught'' was a 3lb+'er that I somehow managed to hook in the vent on a size 12 while tench fishing.
When I was much younger I used to target them, fishing at night with lobs and small deads. 2 waters in particular had some good ones and over time, my best went 5-09, 5-05 and several high 4's.
I miss them, they're an intriguing fish when they get bigger.
strange that they say they are in decline
the small farm type ponds that i fish and bigger types too say up to 5 acres in size seem to have a very healthy populations of eels
one farm pond i fish is absolutely stuffed with them , if you put a dead bait on even in the daytime its away in minutes.....you even catch on maggots under a float
I live close to the Shannon in Ireland and at one time you were sure to catch a few eels if legering for bream etc, even during the day. They gradually dwindled away and now I rarely hear of anyone catching one. They're covered by a conservation program since about 2007 (I think), with angling for them being prohibited and it's also an offence to be in possession of an eel or parts of an eel as pike bait, irrespective of where you got them.
Even if they're in a sealed bag from the likes of Baitbox frozen baits?? Some seriously stupid s**t you have to contend with over there Bill, I thought the Pike attitude on trout res's was bad, but Jeez!
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Yes Bob. No eels or eel sections, end of story. I'm sure they're still used as bait anyway. I don't bother as I never found them much good, same as lamprey.
Marcraft are for queers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

nice big eel coming in from the right , missed my bait this time
its hard to tell but it was a few yards back of my bait.......
will have a go for this eel this coming summer
vlcsnap-2019-10-19-22h32m31s226.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Pinkie wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 21:36 -
SamG wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 19:45 -
Mine too, under normal circumstances but this was from a lake with(almost!) certainly no Zander present.
Then it was probably a small pike! :laughs:
could be a cormorant/ grebe types bird had a go at the bait ....... :thumbs: