wire or fluro for eels

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Post Reply
stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Thu Apr 29 2021 20:02

reading through some of the threads on eel fishing ,some of you guys use a short wire trace , is this because there is a chance a pike....
well that would make good sense as there would be a chance of a pike picking up a fish bait be it sections or whole fish .
i have always used a heavy short trace of fluorocarbon of 20lb for eels.... as i have found the stiffness helps with the tangles , cant remember ever being bitten off on floro
but i might add...... i would use a wire if i knew pike where present , just wondered does anybody else use a heavy leader.... and my main line is normally around 12lb ...
has anybody lost a big eel to a bite off.....targeting them ....and whats your preferred hook size for eels :thumbs:

Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jul 09 2019 17:51

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by Fitas » Thu Apr 29 2021 20:12

I use quicksliver 45lb on a very short trace to stop deep hooking and braid mainline as for hooks .. 6s and 8s no need for big hooks now days . I know people that had trace wire go on them. Touch wood I've never been bitten off

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 30574
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by davelumb » Thu Apr 29 2021 20:14

I use 30lb wire for fish baits and Kevlar braid hooklength in 0.40mm/80lb for worm baits. Main line is 50lb braid or 15lb mono (both 0.35mm).

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Thu Apr 29 2021 20:45

davelumb wrote:
I use 30lb wire for fish baits and Kevlar braid hooklength in 0.40mm/80lb for worm baits. Main line is 50lb braid or 15lb mono (both 0.35mm).
dave i take it you attached the hook to the wire via a crimp and a swivel at the other end or twist it on , is that the very limp kevlar braid type
think i tried some of that years ago ...the stuff you can tie knots into .........have used something similar when fly fishing for pike as a leader....
think i can remember a catfish on the spool..... could be wrong though

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Thu Apr 29 2021 20:50

Fitas wrote:
I use quicksliver 45lb on a very short trace to stop deep hooking and braid mainline as for hooks .. 6s and 8s no need for big hooks now days . I know people that had trace wire go on them. Touch wood I've never been bitten off
does a short trace stop deep hooking pal and how does this help
i have been using a trace about a foot long with no or very little deep hooking....but always willing to learn new methods, :thumbs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 30574
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by davelumb » Thu Apr 29 2021 22:29

stubbojo wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I use 30lb wire for fish baits and Kevlar braid hooklength in 0.40mm/80lb for worm baits. Main line is 50lb braid or 15lb mono (both 0.35mm).
dave i take it you attached the hook to the wire via a crimp and a swivel at the other end or twist it on , is that the very limp kevlar braid type
think i tried some of that years ago ...the stuff you can tie knots into .........have used something similar when fly fishing for pike as a leader....
think i can remember a catfish on the spool..... could be wrong though
I use nylon coated wire, crimped top the hook and a loop crimped on the other end to attach via a quick change swivel.

The braid is not as limp as Quicksilver. There's no wire in it at all.

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Thu Apr 29 2021 22:49

davelumb wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I use 30lb wire for fish baits and Kevlar braid hooklength in 0.40mm/80lb for worm baits. Main line is 50lb braid or 15lb mono (both 0.35mm).
dave i take it you attached the hook to the wire via a crimp and a swivel at the other end or twist it on , is that the very limp kevlar braid type
think i tried some of that years ago ...the stuff you can tie knots into .........have used something similar when fly fishing for pike as a leader....
think i can remember a catfish on the spool..... could be wrong though
I use nylon coated wire, crimped top the hook and a loop crimped on the other end to attach via a quick change swivel.

The braid is not as limp as Quicksilver. There's no wire in it at all.
cheers Dave.... not the stuff i was thinking..... this was like woven wire weird stuff really you could tie knots in it..... not come across it since

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 30574
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by davelumb » Thu Apr 29 2021 23:14

stubbojo wrote:
davelumb wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I use 30lb wire for fish baits and Kevlar braid hooklength in 0.40mm/80lb for worm baits. Main line is 50lb braid or 15lb mono (both 0.35mm).
dave i take it you attached the hook to the wire via a crimp and a swivel at the other end or twist it on , is that the very limp kevlar braid type
think i tried some of that years ago ...the stuff you can tie knots into .........have used something similar when fly fishing for pike as a leader....
think i can remember a catfish on the spool..... could be wrong though
I use nylon coated wire, crimped top the hook and a loop crimped on the other end to attach via a quick change swivel.

The braid is not as limp as Quicksilver. There's no wire in it at all.
cheers Dave.... not the stuff i was thinking..... this was like woven wire weird stuff really you could tie knots in it..... not come across it since
Sounds a bit like Supratress. https://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-stain ... 19581.html

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Fri Apr 30 2021 09:15

well in dave ....thats the stuff

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 30574
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 30 2021 09:28

stubbojo wrote:
well in dave ....thats the stuff
I tried it for eels but it's too soft and tangles.

User avatar
Kev Berry
Pike
Pike
Posts: 22592
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by Kev Berry » Tue May 04 2021 16:00

davelumb wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
well in dave ....thats the stuff
I tried it for eels but it's too soft and tangles.
s***e for casting any distance....just wraps up

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 30574
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by davelumb » Tue May 04 2021 16:09

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
well in dave ....thats the stuff
I tried it for eels but it's too soft and tangles.
s***e for casting any distance....just wraps up
It does. And it frays on pike teeth too. (Tried it for pike once face)

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Tue May 04 2021 20:52

davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
well in dave ....thats the stuff
I tried it for eels but it's too soft and tangles.
s***e for casting any distance....just wraps up
It does. And it frays on pike teeth too. (Tried it for pike once face)
can remember i tried it once on a fly set up for pike , sadly i got bit off by a nice pike , but a few days later i caught that very same pike on a dead bait... still with my fly in the scissors
lucky pike , wont be using it again me thinks

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1856
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by Mattjb » Thu May 06 2021 17:31

I used 20lb 49 strand wire last summer,supple like braid. I've read about people losing big eels using quicksilver etc, can't remember where though.Also tried circle hooks only had one run after switching (nothing to do with the hooks) and eel was hooked nicely in the corner of the mouth.

stubbojo
Perch
Perch
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: wire or fluro for eels

Post by stubbojo » Tue May 11 2021 20:09

Mattjb wrote:
I used 20lb 49 strand wire last summer,supple like braid. I've read about people losing big eels using quicksilver etc, can't remember where though.Also tried circle hooks only had one run after switching (nothing to do with the hooks) and eel was hooked nicely in the corner of the mouth.
temps have been up today 17c here today , but some heavy showers about , should have gone fishing really
but stopped home and greased me bearings instead...... :pipe:

Post Reply