dyson rig advice

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

dyson rig advice

Post by stubbojo »

only started using the dyson rig this winter, so quite new to the method
i will be targeting eels shortly ,one rod will be ledgered hard on the bottom , simple run rig type.
does anybody use the dyson rig when targeting eels , whats the best way to fish it regards to hooking dead baits and worms ..
what i mean by that is...... how far off the bottom would you fish the rig...... and where would you hook a dead bait for the best results ...
had good results on perch and pike in winter fishing close range on the canal ....any tips would be appreciated.....
i will be targeting quite a big deep lake over 20ft deep.......
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: dyson rig advice

Post by davelumb »

I use a variation on the Dyson/Bellars rig for eels.

This is the Mk1 version. I now use a longer length of boom tube - a bit longer than the hooklink.

The lead link can be as long as you like, By taking up slack or letting line out you can alter how far off bottom the bait fishes. I use thick, stiff mono for the top part of the lead link and lighter line for the lower section now as well.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Wed May 05 2021 22:57 -

This is the Mk1 version. I now use a longer length of boom tube - a bit longer than the hooklink.

The lead link can be as long as you like, By taking up slack or letting line out you can alter how far off bottom the bait fishes. I use thick, stiff mono for the top part of the lead link and lighter line for the lower section now as well.
cheers dave..... i will give that ago...... looks interesting
could you fish this with worms or deads or both.....
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I think I do differently is a bigger run ring.......and also use a short stiff hooklink.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stubbojo wrote: Wed May 05 2021 23:38 -
davelumb wrote: Wed May 05 2021 22:57 -

cheers dave..... i will give that ago...... looks interesting
could you fish this with worms or deads or both.....
I mostly use it with worms, but deads work on it too. Half or section deads as a rule.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Rather than use a dyson rig I used a standard running lead rig with a piece of foam tied to about 18" of mono and attached this with a sliding stop knot to the trace just above the hook.worked well with small half deads popped up the trace length.obviously if you want to fish further off bottom then a dyson will be better.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

been out again today but only half a day , back to the secret pit
2 dyson rigs out both with live rudd baits
one went screaming out after about 30 minutes felt the weight of the fish briefly but spat the bait , felt decent too
then the other went off , same again spat the bait ........at least i an getting runs so its only a matter of time before i connect into something
dont know whats in there only fished it twice , theirs rudd a chuck ......... but something had a go at my rudd baits,dont think its pike.....
i will be happy with a big perch or big eel... :thumbs:
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

Been using dyson rig for a while main thing is the size of the lead dont go to light use at least 3 oz or more .Last thing you want is the lead to bonce when a eel takes the bait . You can have bait inch from the bottom or 5 feet off bottom . Dont think eels only feed on the bottom they dont . As you fishing deep water dont use plastic floats as they they will crush . Hooking dead bait if half baits I thread my hook though the bait so hook is coming out the cut end. Whole baits I hook though the back so a eel looking up will see bait hanging there just back sure you cut the baits swim bladder. Dont use big hooks no need 6s and 8s tops. Good luck
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

Just seen you using live baits hook up ratio is low on lives but seems to me you lead is to light I went up to 5 oz last season after loads of drop runs . Try hooking your baits though the tail as well
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Fitas wrote: Sat May 08 2021 19:44 -
Just seen you using live baits hook up ratio is low on lives but seems to me you lead is to light I went up to 5 oz last season after loads of drop runs . Try hooking your baits though the tail as well
will try the bigger weights pal , been using about an 1 and a half ounce seems ok holds the rig ok i think , will try the bigger size though...
oh i know eels come off the bottom, caught an eel years back on my fly rod it took a zonker type lure fish very fast.... actually seen it chase it and nail it ...
never knew they chased down prey too....always thought they were scavengers ........ always learning when fishing ....
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

Lead is way to light .. Dont forget your float make lead even lighter