Sick of eels!

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sick of eels!

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 14 2021 16:42

After kicking off with a three it's been eel after eel, all less than two pounds and most much less. Three more last night and loads of takes. Some pulling the rod round like barbel bites and one dragging the rod across the ground when it was the last one to be put away. All missed... :dizzy:

I wondered if giving the worms a rest might deter the bootlaces but it didn't, and over the years worms have produced enough of my bigger eels to suggest they're worth sticking with.

Think I'll swap the eel rigs over to boilies and carp fish. That should guarantee a six pound eel! :laughs:

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Re: Sick of eels!

Post by stubbojo » Wed Jul 14 2021 18:32

davelumb wrote:
After kicking off with a three it's been eel after eel, all less than two pounds and most much less. Three more last night and loads of takes. Some pulling the rod round like barbel bites and one dragging the rod across the ground when it was the last one to be put away. All missed... :dizzy:

I wondered if giving the worms a rest might deter the bootlaces but it didn't, and over the years worms have produced enough of my bigger eels to suggest they're worth sticking with.

Think I'll swap the eel rigs over to boilies and carp fish. That should guarantee a six pound eel! :laughs:
only had 2 decent eels in about 6 sessions up to now , but i have been fishing rudd heads and the occasional worm rig , dont think ive had one on worm yet ....
been out today on a river which i have never fished before , on a whisper of good perch and eels
loads of perch only to about 10oz roach, bream ,dace , gudgeon ......
not a sniff on the worm rod .......which was strange...
good fun on the old quiver tip rod though......
think the rudd baits will or should attract the bigger eels going on the size witch might put the bootlaces off swallowing ....they probably will still nibble them

Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Dennington » Wed Jul 14 2021 19:17

davelumb wrote:

My biggest (4lb 2oz) was on a boilie. I have occasionally set out to catch a bigger one by design, but am yet to do so.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 14 2021 19:41

Steve Dennington wrote:
davelumb wrote:

My biggest (4lb 2oz) was on a boilie. I have occasionally set out to catch a bigger one by design, but am yet to do so.
My biggest was also on boilie intended for carp. :sad:

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jul 14 2021 19:56

Get a lump of luncheon meat on
Trent eels love it after dark

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jul 14 2021 20:28

Kev Berry wrote:
It was bootlace eels that made using luncheon meat on the Ribble a waste of time for barbel on the Ribble! :laughs:

If I try it on the pit it will probably catch carp. :laughs:

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Wed Jul 14 2021 21:10

My best two eels came on mackerel whilst piking, get a lot of dropped runs on one venue which I put down to eels( same venue my pb came from). I still hate the bloody things🤣

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Wed Jul 14 2021 21:30

Kev Berry wrote:
read somewhere liver is a good eel bait...

Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes » Wed Jul 14 2021 23:08

Kev Berry wrote:
Was fishing for cats a few weeks back
The bloke opposite had three Eels on luncheon meat
Never seen any come out before.
Regards
Tom

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Sun Jul 18 2021 12:25

cant buy an eel at the moment
been on the river twice this week , normally cant go wrong for eels , not a sniff
plenty of perch , roach , bream, gudgeon , dace , all to light feeder tactics ......buy about 2.00pm 30c....... phew packed up to hot for fishing ...... :hit:

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Tue Jul 20 2021 22:51

3 eels this evening...all about 2lb
On maggot feeder
I was after chub :laughs:
Like Ive said before the easiest way to catch eels is dont target them....works every time :laughs:

Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas » Sun Jul 25 2021 20:19

I found water thats full of boots i keep away from. If i fish a new eel water and have 5 blanks or more in a row then im happy as these kind of waters are could throw up big eels